xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Smb Shares Not Working After Power Outage  (Read 54 times)

joseph_hac

• Archived User
Smb Shares Not Working After Power Outage
« on: May 26, 2004, 08:06:00 PM »

I have been using SMB to stream my media to XBMC for along time. Recenty, a storm caused the power in my house to go out for a few hours. Now, my SMB shares are not working. I have reconfigured my router so that my computer has the same IP address before, and my XboMediaCenter.xml file is fine (worked great before the blackout). I have checked, and all of my shared folders are shared appropriately with user: xbox group:Remote Desktop Users.

Is there anything else that Im missing?? There's no reason that the Xbox has to have the EXACT same IP as before, is there? XBMC is also able to connect to the Internet perfectly fine and downloads both the X-S newsfeed and weather info.

I searched around and doubt it, but do I need to forward any ports in my router or anything??

I'm getting very fed up at seeing that damn access denied message!!  <

Intensecure

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 08:36:00 PM »

Any changes in firewall configuration? Were you using ICF or other firewalls before that may have lost their access permissions?
Sounds firewall not IP related if you get "access denied" responses.  <

joseph_hac

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 03:49:00 AM »

I think it has something to do with my firewall too. I'm using a SMC router with a built in DHCP server. I have, and always have, had the DHCP lease time set to forever to emulate static IP addresses. I currently do not have any ports forwarded. Can you think of any extra configurations I need to add to my router?  <

NatasCub

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 07:03:00 AM »

Why emulate static ip addresses when you can just set static ip addresses?  Every permanent member of my home network uses a static ip address.  <

joseph_hac

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 07:29:00 AM »

QUOTE (NatasCub @ May 27 2004, 02:52 PM)
Why emulate static ip addresses when you can just set static ip addresses?  Every permanent member of my home network uses a static ip address.

Maybe emulate was the wrong wword to use. My router lets me define an IP Pool and a drop down menu allows me to select the lease time (30 min, 1 day, i week...forever). I chose forever.  <

NatasCub

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 07:44:00 AM »

QUOTE (joseph_hac @ May 27 2004, 11:18 AM)
Maybe emulate was the wrong wword to use. My router lets me define an IP Pool and a drop down menu allows me to select the lease time (30 min, 1 day, i week...forever). I chose forever.

Wrong word, but same meaning.  If you want the devices on your network to always have the same ip, why do you use DHCP for those devices?  I have a small pool of dynamic addresses available, but as I posted previously, all the permanent members of my network use static ips.

Anyways, do you have any means of verifying your network share outside of the xbox?  Do you have a 2nd pc trhat can access the share while your xbox cannot?  <

joseph_hac

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 02:05:00 PM »

QUOTE (NatasCub @ May 27 2004, 03:33 PM)
Wrong word, but same meaning.  If you want the devices on your network to always have the same ip, why do you use DHCP for those devices?  I have a small pool of dynamic addresses available, but as I posted previously, all the permanent members of my network use static ips.

Anyways, do you have any means of verifying your network share outside of the xbox?  Do you have a 2nd pc trhat can access the share while your xbox cannot?

It must of slipped my mind that I could set it up like that when I got my router. Although I have set both my PC and XBMC to use static IPs, and have created a totally new user from scratch to share the SMB shres with, it isn't working.

Also, now that I have set XBMC to use a static IP it seems to hang for a while at the boot screen before launching XBMC. My Xbox's LAN activity light leads me to believe my XBox is trying to shake hands with something at that time.  <

joseph_hac

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 06:11:00 AM »

bump  <

Aron Parsons

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 06:52:00 AM »

Try turning off your firewall and seeing if you can connect (I'm assuming you're talking about an internal firewall, as the one protecting you from the outside should have no play in this).  Check your "Security" and "Sharing" permissions on the the Windows shares; if the user lacks permissions in either area, you'll get "Access denied".  Try connecting to the shares with another PC.  And if nothing else, triple-check your XML and your IP settings.  <

lalani

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 06:53:00 AM »

First things first:

1) Can you ping your xbox's ip? Check your router's logs or current DHCP clients, it should tell you the IP's of all current clients.
2) Check your PC's ip address. Is it the same as it was before?
3) Did you re-run network setup wizard? If so it automatically adds XP's firewalling to the LAN connection.  <

joseph_hac

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 07:34:00 AM »

QUOTE (lalani @ May 28 2004, 02:42 PM)
First things first:

1) Can you ping your xbox's ip? Check your router's logs or current DHCP clients, it should tell you the IP's of all current clients.
2) Check your PC's ip address. Is it the same as it was before?
3) Did you re-run network setup wizard? If so it automatically adds XP's firewalling to the LAN connection.

Could it be XP's built in firewall?? I just recently noticed it was disabled and enabled it.  <

NatasCub

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2004, 08:16:00 AM »

QUOTE (joseph_hac @ May 28 2004, 11:23 AM)
Could it be XP's built in firewall?? I just recently noticed it was disabled and enabled it.

I don't think so, but networking under Windows has always had a little bit of voodoo involved with it.  If you ever tried networking Windows 95 machines for lan gaming you know what I mean.

Anyways, I wanted to ask again if you have any way of verifying the smb share without the xbox in the loop?  Do you have another PC?  Can it get at your network share?

You mentioned having a username of xbox set, do you have a password associated with that account?  Is XBMC using that password?

Also, you mentioned specifying 'Remote Desktop Users' as a group that the xbox account was associated with.  I'm not sure that's appropriate.  I believe what that indicates is that the user 'xbox' can log in to your machine remotely using the Remote Desktop client.  <

joseph_hac

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2004, 07:31:00 AM »

I have an old Win 95 laptop that I am getting ready to mod into a digital picture frame, but it doesb't have a nic sad.gif

I have recently deleted the "xbox" account and recreated an account with the username "XBMC" and password Xbox. I threw this account into the Remote Desktop Users group where I had the Xbox account and altered the XboxMediaCenter.xml file appropriately, but nothing has changed.

I had been using the remote desktop user group before and it worked great. I just use that group so that I don't have to see my xbox account on my XP login screen.

bwanaaa

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2004, 02:14:00 PM »

rather than use the remote desktop account, just hide the account from showing at the welcome screen

http://www.jermar.com/tweaki.htm

http://www.softheap.com/secagent.html

I use a limited account type to prevent the xbox from messing with the server. I have to do this as my inquisitive kids like to 'push the envelope'. This way the xbox is just a client.

This post has been edited by bwanaaa: May 28 2004, 09:33 PM <

Loto_Bak

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2004, 02:29:00 PM »

You need to tell us some more information here...

Can you ping the xbox? (start -> run -> cmd -> ping 192.168.*.* <xbox ip here)
What error does XBMC come up with when you try and access the share?
Have you check that the xbox gets a proper link and ip address in settings?
Does your XML file open properly in internet explorer or does it give errors?
Show use the lines in your XML file that point to your share....

People have asked you for this information in previous posts... please at least awnser their posts

*edit* also DISABLE xp's firewall...  

This post has been edited by Loto_Bak: May 28 2004, 09:30 PM <
Pages: [1] 2