xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 0102 After 12v Mod  (Read 142 times)

FILTHY J NASTY

• Archived User
0102 After 12v Mod
« on: October 01, 2006, 04:35:00 PM »

0102 unknown error - literally means the console does not know what is wrong. possibly a short or cold solder joint somewhere. So far there is 1 major theory for what causes most of these errors is that the Ram, CPU, or GPU are not soldered properly to the mother board This can be solved by re-Heating the chips DO NOT attempt this if your console is still under warranty. If your console is still under warranty return it to the store where it was purchased or call MS to have it replaced.

Make sure ur solder is nice and tight! thats all i can suggeste

CharlieMurphi

• Archived User
0102 After 12v Mod
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 05:42:00 PM »

Um are you sure you did the 12V mod and not the fuck up my xbox 360 mod.... blink.gif. Where did you get your 12V source at? Like Filthy J says make sure that your solder is sticking to the spots and not ripping off......add more solder if it is needed. Double check for excess solder on the board. I really dont know what else to tell you man...sorry.

FILTHY J NASTY

• Archived User
0102 After 12v Mod
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 05:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(Matt_Tracy @ Oct 2 2006, 12:53 AM) View Post

IPB Image

I soldered red to one 12v spot, brown to another. Black to one GND spot, blue to the other.

I'm working with some really old solder. I'll buy some more tomorrow.

Ya maybe thats it..

U said ur fans worked right?

Maybee ur making lil conatct with the points so they work but there not srong enough idk?

Sorry man im pulling this out my a_s lol biggrin.gif  tongue.gif  sorry man

Fare

• Archived User
0102 After 12v Mod
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 06:14:00 PM »

Have you tried undoing the whole process and seeing if it will power up w/o red lights?

FILTHY J NASTY

• Archived User
0102 After 12v Mod
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 06:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(Matt_Tracy @ Oct 2 2006, 01:27 AM) View Post

I would, but I threw out the 4 pin connector that the fan was originally using. Unless it'll power up with no fan...?

Ya it will power up with no fan just shut it down ass soon as u see no red lights or w/e

GSX

• Archived User
0102 After 12v Mod
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 06:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(CharlieMurphi @ Oct 1 2006, 07:49 PM) View Post

Um are you sure you did the 12V mod and not the fuck up my xbox 360 mod.... blink.gif.

That one should go in my sig. laugh.gif

On a serious note tho. Why do people insist one messing with the fans?? The pair in there have variable speed which your 360 controlls. So why mess with a good thing, and wire some fans to the 12v? I don't have enough fingers, and toes laugh.gif ,  to count all the ppl that posted here about broken 360's because of a mod fan.

There is two things that could have happened here. One, your soldering job shorted out. Two, the fans didn't flow enough air, and you fried your chips. Looks grim either way.

Druggedpolak

• Archived User
0102 After 12v Mod
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 06:36:00 PM »

Same thing happened to me. When you remove the motherboard even the tiniest flexes will cause something to loosen and solder to not touch. The heat gun trick fixed it.

I figured out that on my 360 what gets heated the most is the 2 ram chips not covered with a heatsink and thats the only area I had to heatgun for a while, while it was still in the metal cage, to get my 360 to run without problems.

p.s.
saints row is tooooo addictive (12 hours of game time yesterday  wink.gif )

Druggedpolak

• Archived User
0102 After 12v Mod
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 06:46:00 PM »

I would recommend leaving the motherboard in the cage (take out the fan, cd drive, maybe rol board)
and then use aluminum foil to cover the capacitors and plastic areas. You can even leave the heatsinks on and just go back and fourth betwenn the 2 exposed ram chips and the northbridge. Even go over the graphics heatsink. That should definetly fix it, but if it still doesnt then take it out of the cage and take off the gpu heatsink. Then do as the video shows you.  biggrin.gif
Worked for me twice already and has worked for many people. I bought a heatgun for like $25 at homedepot.
Good luck

Fare

• Archived User
0102 After 12v Mod
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 06:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(Druggedpolak @ Oct 1 2006, 08:53 PM) View Post

I bought a heatgun for like $25 at homedepot.
Good luck

lucky, the only heat gunIi could find in a 25 mile radius of my house was a 60 dollar one, it wasn't as good as some of the cheaper ones I see (only 2 variables). I must've checked6-10 different places =/

Matt_Tracy

• Archived User
0102 After 12v Mod
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 06:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(Druggedpolak @ Oct 1 2006, 07:53 PM) View Post

I would recommend leaving the motherboard in the cage (take out the fan, cd drive, maybe rol board)
and then use aluminum foil to cover the capacitors and plastic areas. You can even leave the heatsinks on and just go back and fourth betwenn the 2 exposed ram chips and the northbridge. Even go over the graphics heatsink. That should definetly fix it, but if it still doesnt then take it out of the cage and take off the gpu heatsink. Then do as the video shows you.  biggrin.gif
Worked for me twice already and has worked for many people. I bought a heatgun for like $25 at homedepot.
Good luck

Looks simple enough. Hardest part will be getting the heatsink off. >_<

I'll try that if re-soldering the fan doesn't work.

G0t M4xx 21

• Archived User
0102 After 12v Mod
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 08:26:00 PM »

I've done that heatgun trick to a 0102 motherboard before, brought it right back.

Matt_Tracy

• Archived User
0102 After 12v Mod
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 09:22:00 PM »

Well, I did the heatgun trick today, but I'm not sure if it worked. I'm too much of a pussy to power it on w/o the fan, and I'm having a hard time re-soldering the wires.  dry.gif

Matt_Tracy

• Archived User
0102 After 12v Mod
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 06:22:00 PM »

Well, that was a fun two hours.  sleep.gif

Finally was able to re-solder the wires, put it back together, and it's working nicely. I played THUG for half an hour, and I manually rebooted three times. No red lights, fans at full speed. (The GPU's fan seems to expell more air than the CPU's, I'm hoping that's normal?)

Thanks to those of you who recommended the heatgun fix; it worked like a charm. Is it a permanent fix?

snow rider221

• Archived User
0102 After 12v Mod
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 06:42:00 PM »

It should fix it for good, BUT I'd definately add some other means of cooling, wether it be better fans, using an intercooler, or just putting a little fan in front of the heatsink, because if your xbox has been prone to overheating, than there is a better chance it will overheat again than in one that has never overheaded.

better safe than sorry

Druggedpolak

• Archived User
0102 After 12v Mod
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 04:51:00 PM »

Yay it worked for me too again. Your welcome for the help  cool.gif
I noticed that burnout revenge freezes mine sometimes and killed it once  wink.gif
Might have been just mine though. It may be a permanent fix, but u may need to do it again sometime.
It really is random.  blink.gif
Pages: [1] 2