xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Yet Another Samba Question  (Read 59 times)

Bud_AV

• Archived User
Yet Another Samba Question
« on: May 09, 2004, 11:22:00 AM »

It looks like this topic has been beaten to death, but I haven't found anyone else with the problem I'm experiencing while skimming the fourm.

I have a public smb share setup on my WinXP Pro machine, and I can see the contents of this share from my xbox. However, when I select a movie or mp3 to play, nothing happens (Other than the xbox pausing for 1/2 a second). This happens with a whole bunch of different media (.wmv .mpg .avi .mp3)

I'm using xbmc-2004-05-09.  I've been fiddling with permissions, caches, etc... with no success. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Bud_AV   <

ripcurl

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 12:05:00 PM »

that shit happens when u fiddle with the share settings/permissions....turn simple file sharing back ON and keep it simple........works better

ex.
<bookmark>
<name>Shared Crap</name>
<path>smb://192.168.0.1/share</path>
</bookmark>

make sure you use the ip not the old workgroup/computer/sharename shit  <

Bud_AV

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 01:47:00 PM »

Thanks ripcurl, turning Basic file sharing back on helped a bunch. I can play all my mp3s and most of my movies.

However, there's still a handfull of .mpgs that will play if I copy them to the Xbox harddrive, but don't play over samba. Any further suggestions out there?

Thanks...  <

Widgit

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 03:39:00 PM »

over on xboxmediacenter.com forums, I found a discussion about this issue where I had the same problem with samba shares over my network to xbmc, certain movies like avi, mpg, etc would not play over samba, but would play if copied directly to harddrive

run gspot on the media file, you may find that it's opendml which may explain your problem

apparently there is some sort of technical issue with "opendml" and samba,

the way I've worked around it was to use cxGui streaming protocol, which i believe you can get from the d/l section to work around this problem for now.  <