xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: MS Aims For Hack-proof 360  (Read 214 times)

Cold|Fusion

• Archived User
MS Aims For Hack-proof 360
« on: September 09, 2005, 04:54:00 AM »

wooo hooo, hell yeah, way to give hackers a challenge....2 months. It's allll good! o_0

Keshire

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 05:16:00 AM »

Genuine Advantage comes to mind.

NarutoKun

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 10:31:00 AM »

"I'm sure sooner or later someone will work out how to circumvent security. But the way we have done the design doesn't mean that it will work on somebody else's machine."

Interesting.....

maybe they do a few tricks up their sleeves, nonetheless there will be a universal mod but it will take time.

so untill then start saving your money for games...

wasting

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 12:42:00 PM »

wow they should have not said anything about this

Piska

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 01:06:00 PM »

Just wondering, are the dev kits built totally separate from the regular Xbox 360's? As in do they have different hardware such as the security chips?  I am really not trying to go anywhere with this just a matter of curiosity.

chuckkay

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 01:19:00 PM »

the Author writes "Part of the motivation behind this is to prevent people from using the 360 to watch pirated films or TV shows. "  
What the heck is he talking about..  how & why would MS be focused on this.. they should only be concerned with hacking in general...

It already looks like xbox 360 will include it's own "media center" like UI that will allow streaming media from PC to 360...if done right this would eliminate most of the need for an XBMC for the 360

It's none of MS's business what you stream from your own PC within your house...so why not stream anything.. the major reason for hacking my xbox was to get XBMC.. (I know most do it for games)

If MS would allow you to stream any media from your PC to 360...  there would be less motivation to want to hack the Xbox 360... Lets face it, hackers don't just hack to steal games.. they hack for the challenge but more importantly they hack to get more features..

Excitedguy

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 01:51:00 PM »

Why are they even trying to make the xbox 360 hack proof? No matter what, it's going to be hacked. It's millions of people vs. MS, who wins? The people, cause there is more of them to figure out how to do it.

Let's take the gamecube for an example. A system designed not to be ever hacked, what qualities did it have?

1) No hard drive
2) mini dvd games not readable in PC drives
3) screws on the gamecube almost impossible to open up without a special tool.

Even with all the work and the sacrifice to make the games only fit a maximum of 1.47GB and to make it hack proof, sure enough, it got hacked. I am playing gamecube backups without even having a modchip by using a program on my memory card.

The only thing that making the xbox 360 hack proof is going to do is make it take longer for hackers to figure out how to bypass the security. It's a big waste of time if you ask me...

NarutoKun

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 02:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(Excitedguy @ Sep 9 2005, 10:02 PM)
Even with all the work and the sacrifice to make the games only fit a maximum of 1.47GB and to make it hack proof, sure enough, it got hacked. I am playing gamecube backups without even having a modchip by using a program on my memory card.

Andy51

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 02:12:00 PM »

How are M.icrosoft cocky?

All they said was "features that the hacking community have never seen before"

And nothing of this: Xbox 360 will not be hackable

Sure they are aiming for a unhackable Xbox 360... but never said it's unhackable.

chuckkay

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 03:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(Phantaxus @ Sep 9 2005, 10:51 PM)
I modded my xbox because of XBMC.

aepuppetmaster

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 03:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(NarutoKun @ Sep 9 2005, 09:42 AM)
"I'm sure sooner or later someone will work out how to circumvent security. But the way we have done the design doesn't mean that it will work on somebody else's machine."

i was a little worried about that too.  i don't know a lot about security chips and or encryption, but maybe to bypass u need a code (like every trasmition is encrypted), so even if u find 1 there are still a shit load left.  like i say i don't know about that stuff and it could verywell be just something u need to curcomvent.  so i was just wondering what ppl thought about that statment.    

Also the fact that they say its to prevent piracy is balony.  all were doing as modders (and yes i both pay for and pirate or steal content, about 50/50) is trying to fill a void left by the major companies.  for example, i would be willing to pay for a movie in divx form (not drm) but since i can't i download it.  when i miss a show i love being able to download it, but i can;t do that from a "legal" source.  so yes the xbox can be used for piracy (which mine is) but it can also be used to fill the media player void with things like xbmc, i mean come on m$ let us play stuff off the hdd, u can;t say that u want these consoles to be the center of the living room and be media players when u only do it half-assed, if that.  basically im trying to say that XBMC OWNZZZ!!!!

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 03:40:00 PM »

tongue.gif

brooksie48

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 04:04:00 PM »

Twisted where the hell are you? They are disrespecting what this website stands for with their illegal downloading/pirating talk!

Master X

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 04:16:00 PM »

ph34r.gif

KR4ZYMAN

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 05:38:00 PM »

uhh.gif
Pages: [1] 2