xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hdd Upgrades  (Read 277 times)

nateh90

• Archived User
Hdd Upgrades
« on: July 07, 2005, 06:51:00 PM »

Ok i know alot of people who have well over 20 gigs of media, usually at least 200 (including myself) that the will want on their 360. MS no dought will use a custom interface for their drives. so upgrading my HD will be my #1 priority. What will we have to go throught to make this possible, and how many of you would see this to be benificial. (Because microft will probably charge something crazy like 80$ for a 40 gig HD) Discuss.

LowProfileWurm

• Archived User
Hdd Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 07:09:00 PM »

tongue.gif

chris_kalan

• Archived User
Hdd Upgrades
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 04:48:00 PM »

I wouldnt't be surprised if the hard drive didn't come with the hard drive chassis.  Perhaps you only get one chassis for a hard drive and when you buy new ones, you swap them out of it?

I don't know if that is feasible, but it would lower M$ costs if all they have to do is ship the hard drive with their proprietary software.

Here is another question....now that the dashboard/interface is actually looking slick and nice, do you think people will port it to their PC to use as an interface for downloading content, etc?  And would that make it easier for getting games onto their PCs?

Hrmm....questions questions........

Moleman

• Recovered User
Hdd Upgrades
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 01:16:00 AM »

I say it will have the chassis.  Too much of a chance for mess ups by average joe.

chris_kalan

• Archived User
Hdd Upgrades
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 07:33:00 PM »

I say it will have the chassis. Too much of a chance for mess ups by average joe.

Two things to say to that:

1)  It doesn;t have to be a screw on chassis, but a set of clips or something easy to use, but secure enough that the HDD doesn't get trapped.
2)  It would be cheaper for MS to not include a new chassis with every hard drive.  That said, because they include the chassis, they can (try to) justify the price being probably double normal prices.

It can go either way.

johnodd

• Archived User
Hdd Upgrades
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 10:04:00 PM »

here is things you need to keep in mind on the xbox 360 harddrive

1 the stock hard drive will be availible with the xbox 360

2.the first upgrade of the hard drive would have to take place when final fantasy 11 online is realeased the hard drive would have to go to 40 gig's or better just to support this application and the immense worlds

3.and any other games requiring more hard drive space will then realease an even bigger hard drive

XBSC

• Archived User
Hdd Upgrades
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 05:58:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

leaveye

• Archived User
Hdd Upgrades
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 05:18:00 PM »

The cost of the HDD and chassis has a direct correlation to the costs of logistical complications.  

Whatever the physical dimentions of the chassis are going to be, you can be sure that it will be manufactured almost entirely out of plastic--maybe a stamping of sheet metal in there as well. Both plastic and sheet metal (think of the metal shield in the top of the xbox case) are extremely cheap to manufacture, especially in China/Asia. Selling a HDD with the chassis, as opposed to without a chassis, isn't going to affect the price of the HDD on any significant level.

What would have a significant impact on the price paid by the end user for the HDD/upgraded HDD etc?  Multiple SKU's. This would require different handling of two similar items from the very beginning.  Two (or more) distinct packages, two seperate items to be tracked and inventoried, two seperate items to be ordered by distributors/retailers.  It would be far less complicated to manufacture one item (HDD with chasis for example) than 2 seperate items (HDD with and with out chassis) and this very well could offset the costs of just packaging all HDD's with the chassis.

Additionally, it's going to be made as simple as possible. Clips break, screws get lost (if you don't have a magnetic screwdriver) and fat fingers jam plugs and bend pins. And that isn't accounting for people who can't/won't read directions.

I could be entirly wrong, but It's my opinion that all HDD (purchased seperately from the xbox360) will be shipped completely enclosed in an xbox360 branded chassis and won't be available as a HDD alone.

That is of course speaking of the available HDD's from MS for the xbox360. As far as adding your own--Let's see what happens when the members of the modding community use their ingenuity!