xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Vga + Standard Cable = No Vga Displayed. Solution?  (Read 43 times)

brandogg

• Archived User
Vga + Standard Cable = No Vga Displayed. Solution?
« on: December 03, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »

Do you mean HDMI? You can't have a standard cable and VGA cable plugged in at the same time, as they go in the same slot...also, the official Microsoft VGA cable has a toslink port on it.

bnevets27

• Archived User
Vga + Standard Cable = No Vga Displayed. Solution?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »

According to the site above to enable the following:

Vga             pin 20 to 18 (ground)
Composite   pin 24 to 22 (ground)
Component  pin 28 to 26 (ground)

Only one can be enabled at a time I would have thought, because if ether Composite or Component is switched the VGA won't work. And with the 360 cable connected one of the two have to be selected.

I did a continuity test on the 360 cable and the switch does switch between 24 to 22(ground) and 28 to 26(ground), the way it should work.  

So I put super glue on pin 24 so it would not make contact. The idea being if I switch it to tv and plug the vga in, only one mode should be on.

When I probed the broad with the cable plugged in and turned the switch to tv, there's no connection between pin 24 and 22 (or any ground). So perfect, BUT then I checked the component mode (hdtv) pins, with the switch still in the tv spot and pin 28 is grounded (component enabled)!?

So as it stands, break contact between pin 20 and 18 and you still have a connection between 24 and 22. Meaning the component cables still get signal even tho the cable is in tv mode.

If you put the switch in Component (hdtv) only pin 28 gets grounded, as you would expect.

So, in TV mode, composite and component modes are on, in
HDTV mode only component is on in
VGA mode only VGA is on

I know the easy solution would be to buy a cable and use the plug or just buy the proper adapter, but that's not as fun. And I'm kind of pissed that no one mentioned this in the thread with the guide, I wouldn't have cut a hole in my case if I knew I couldn't get audio.

Any ideas?