xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Acer Widescreen Lcd & 1080p = Beautiful !  (Read 63 times)

jo77

• Archived User
Acer Widescreen Lcd & 1080p = Beautiful !
« on: December 08, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »

biggrin.gif G'day to everyone on the 360 boards which I am new to. I used to come here way back in 2004/05 but have been away from all things xbox for coupla years.

Anyway I am posting because I found the info about connecting a LCD monitor is a bit scattered and sometimes misleading depending which google link you follow.

I have an Elite 360 and so wanted to get 1080p output on a decent monitor.  I have been using my 19" 4:3 CRT since getting my xbox and using a  VGA cable.  I had a nice output at 1920x1080 but I dont think it was true 1080p and was being scaled down or up etc.

So I set out to buy a new 24" Widescreen LCD monitor as the prices seem to be tumbling and as they have a native resolution of 1920x1200 I thought that should be the one to get.

After much deliberation I settled on the Acer AL2416W which is a TN panel 1000:1 contrast , 5ms GTG, and 400cd/m2.  Yeah I had no idea what all that meant until I studied up via the old internet.

I got the monitor home yesterday and immediately hooked up my PC and the native 1920 rez is incredible. I hooked up the X360 via the VGA cable but immediately found i could not go better than 1280x1024 which I believe is 720p.  It still looked fantastic but I wanted more so today I got myself a HDMI to DVI-D cable and hooked up via that.  I instantly now have a new menu ( same as to my Sony widescreen TV via component cables ) except it is a digital connection now and I also have 1080p available which my Sony TV is not capable of.

The whole point of my story was just to let anyone interested  know that with a HDMI enabled 360 which I think are all the new ones now, you can buy a releatively cheap cable and hookup a very nice and rather inexpensive LCD monitor for some superb 1080p gaming.

I hope someone at least is saved a bit of  trouble searching for this info,  it is out there but a bit disjointed and for non-technophobes like myself, can be somewhat confusing.

thanks for reading ... a bit long I know  cool.gif