xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Power Outage And Weird Receiver Behavior  (Read 73 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Power Outage And Weird Receiver Behavior
« on: January 15, 2006, 12:54:00 PM »

while I know I'm typically the one offering advice over asking for it, even I need help sometimes.

Last night my Girlfriend was playing FF-VIII on my PSOne running through my projector and my Marantz SR6200 receiver.

The Receiver only does S-Video and Composite so typically I don't use it's video signal management unless it's an older console or I'm tuning it (as all the reciever's controls are handled through the on screen display ONLY). Anyway I have both Component and Svideo lines running to the projector, the various component devices are switched with a stand alone box while the Svideo lines are all switched with the Marantz.

Around midnight the power went out while she was in the middle of a game, honestly my only real concern was the projector which was unable to run the fans to cool down down bulb... (BTW I had ordered a UPS for it a short while ago but it was back-ordered and wont be in for another week  dry.gif ) the rest of my components had suffered many many power outages before and everything is on surge protectors so I wasn't too worried about them.

The power was out for most of the night. this morning I noticed that the receiver came back on with the power (which is strange because it's got a soft power button). Now for some reason the video output from the receiver does this weird thing...  the picture will display fine for about 2 seconds, then in the course of about a half second the image goes black then full green then back to normal. it continues to do this indefinitely. It does this no matter what, if there is no input and the OSD is off it does this, if there is no input and just the OSD it does this, if it's showing the video from one of the inputs, it does this....

Every other aspect of the receiver is fine as far as I can tell, All of the audio functions work properly, it switches from one input to the next as it should, I can adjust all the settings, etc.  I checked the projector and plugging devices directly into that all work fine.

It's not THAT big of a deal considering devices old enough to use S-Video don't get that much use, but considering all of the reciever's settings are controlled ONLY through the on-screen-display it's a little unnerving. That and I hate having devices that I know don't work properly. The Receiver is still one of the nicest receiver's I've ever used and despite it's age (about 5 years old now) I don't have anywhere close to the funds to buy something comparable or better right now.

So does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be/ seen anything similar to this happen before. I'd hate to have to ship it off for expensive repairs on a feature I rarely use.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 07:45:00 AM »

meh, I fixed it with a good cleaning ad re-seating all the chips on the video encoder circuit.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 08:54:00 PM »

it would have been particularly painful considering I just found out today my truck needs new rear brakes  sad.gif

in one hand and out the other... that's the way money goes I guess.