xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 360 Does Not Support Sync On Green (sog)  (Read 62 times)

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
360 Does Not Support Sync On Green (sog)
« on: January 12, 2006, 08:00:00 PM »

To test if the 360 sent a sync on green signal (the signal that my monitor syncs best with), i did not connect the two wires for H & V sync.  After starting up the 360, all i got was a messed up picture that was all golden in color, and out of position.  From this conclusion i assume that the 360 does not send a sync on green signal.  For those who know more about this, am i correct?

Also, if i were to jump wires from the H & V sync to the green wire, in the avip plug, would this force sync on green?  I just sold my 360 vga cable, so i'll have to test this out later.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 08:38:00 PM »

Thanks for the info.

So that means i'm correct, in that combining the H&V syncs and then jumping them to the green wire will give SoG.

Maybe this will give me a better picture with vga on my 360.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 01:03:00 AM »

Thanks for the heads up.  Your definently correct.  I just glanced at the diagram with two H&V sync combined and connected to the green.  Unfortunently it is not nearly that simple.

redwolf

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 06:21:00 PM »

hmmm bit lost... so the Xbox 360 send sync-on-green or seperate signals or WTF tongue.gif that ^ link is a bit too technical biggrin.gif

edit: with the Joytech VGA cable for Xbox 360, one of my old LCD monitor didn't accept any resolution's signal ("out of range") but i then connected the same cable via the VDigi VDZ5's PC-IN input and it worked...  blink.gif

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 08:01:00 PM »

There are three ways the vertical and horizontal sync's are handles: Sync on green (best, imo), composite sync, and seperate H&V sync (worst, imo).

Some monitors support all three sync's, but works best with one over the others.  Other monitors only accept two, or one of the different syncs.

Most all monitors accept seperate H&V sync.

The 360 only sends a seperate H&V sync.

My monitor supports all three syncs, but work best with sync on green and likes seperate H&V sync the least. sad.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 12:35:00 PM »

theoretically speaking wouldn't separate be the best considering it has the highest level of separation...

SoG might be best for compatibility but not for quality.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 04:22:00 PM »

Good question.  I'm not sure if sync seperation falls under the same quality guidlines as color, lumination, etc. signals.

SoG is supported by higher end equipment, while lower end equipment usually supports only seperate H&V sync.

And my sony trinitron 19" flat crt monitor works best with SoG, and least with seperate H&V sync.

Anyone with more experience with this, your input is most welcome.