xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So.. How Many Are Actually Using An Hdtv?  (Read 521 times)

eversio11

• Archived User
So.. How Many Are Actually Using An Hdtv?
« on: November 17, 2005, 03:43:00 PM »

By far the biggest thing I've noticed about the X360 launch is the HDTV hype. HDTV this, HDTV that. I didn't realize how focused this thing was on advanced televisions.

So.. how many of you are actually going to be using an HDTV? There's no way I can afford to pay $500 for an HDTV on top of already shelling $500 for the box and a game. I know my parents have an HDTV, but I'm not going to playing my box at home much at all, maybe bring it over for Thanksgiving and Christmas but that's it.

I really find it hard to believe that a majority of gamers will be using an HDTV for the 360. Sure, maybe their family has an HDTV in the family room but I'm sure most people here play in their room or basement. So what are the actual numbers like?

Palmore

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 03:46:00 PM »

I'm actually researching HDTV's to buy just for my 360 =)

jwherbold

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 03:48:00 PM »

I will be. Even used HD on the first one at 480i widescreen.  Halo 1/2 on anything else looks very small to me ;-)

Daveid

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 03:49:00 PM »

The 'rents have got one which I will be playing mine on over Christmas Hols Woot other than that i have to use a laptop tv card sad.gif
When I get out of Uni though I will buy a HDTV hehe yes yes yes but that's gonne be 2 and half years lol dammit.
I might buy one in the mean time - I have the cash... just yea... i want HD broadcasting first i guess since it's not here in the UK yet

jwherbold

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 04:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(grogger13 @ Nov 18 2005, 12:03 AM)
i hope you meant 480p becuase 480i isnt hdtv.  720p is way than 480p so im looking forward to that, i use the HDTV in my family room.  The thing im concerned about is im going to college next year and i want to have an hdtv but i dont know if it will be that cost friendly.

dabigdilla

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 04:07:00 PM »

i admit i fell victim to the hype, bought an HD set in anticipation of the 360...
but lemme just say, it is WELL worth it.  mine is only a 26" LCD.....and i love it.  definitely next gen shit.

jwherbold

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 04:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(grogger13 @ Nov 18 2005, 12:14 AM)
i haven't heard anything but rumor, but i wouldn't start waiting for halo 3.  Remember when they had halo2 coming out a year after halo then two more years and it came out.  Bungie isn't gonna rush to put out a crappy game, they proved that with halo2.  There gonna take their time and make sure its awsome.

sp3cialk

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 04:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(jwherbold @ Nov 17 2005, 07:08 PM)
Yes type-o Mine does not do 720p it does do 1080i though so I am looking forward to the upconversion I have been reading about.  Comeon Halo3 on the 360!

jwherbold

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 04:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(sp3cialk @ Nov 18 2005, 12:20 AM)
(although I keep telling my dad he would love it soo much more if he would get a DLP and surround sound)

gamerguy999

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 04:17:00 PM »

I have a HDTV, but I am not buying a Xbox360, so I won't be using it with one.

aakwa

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 04:42:00 PM »

Im just going to use my 17in CRT monitor for the time being, It isnt that small and should give a good picture with the VGA inputs.  I am hopeing to get a new monitor soon for college and mainly the 360!

-aakwa

justsumdude

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 05:07:00 PM »

i have a 55" Mitsubishi HDTV in the living room, a 26" Dell LCD HDTV in my room for my pc, and theater system.  Moving the Dell to the other room, with one of the computers, and replacing it with a 37" Philips LCD HDTV. The Philips has a very nice picture, one of the best ive seen.

Joergen

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 05:10:00 PM »

_o/ Pioneer 43" 435HDE here, its been great for xbox component and hdtv shows for the past year and I'm really looking forward to X360 on it. I'm looking into buying a 32" LCD into the bedroom where I can hide the original xbox for casual entertainment and gaming use.

And 500$? Try 6000$ for the pioneer 12 months ago and about 1900$ for the 32" LCD (looking at Samsung, Sony or Philips).

I can understand people wanting to hold back on HDTV as the LCDs or plasmas are still for the large part not 1080p native and hugely expensive if you're after quality, but if your good old CRT was a 300$ one back when you bought it, good luck in the HDTV era. No amount of waiting will get you what you want in the next 5 years (the lifespan of the next gen).

Furthermore I'd like to stress my disappointment at the launch lineups SD resolution looks (not having seen them in person though). Judging by some of the framebuffer grabs at 640x480 they are not supersampled nor do they use proper amounts of AF to sharpen textures and hide the mipmap stages. Poor use of the hardware for low resolutions to get that realistic look the x360 is capable of.

Remember, until you see a console or game that looks like real life at SD, there is still room for improvement no matter what they try to sell for the reason of "looks good only in HD".

rulvnthatwigs

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 05:15:00 PM »

Hey guys I need to have the full experience so do you think I should get a 40" lcd from samsung or the same thing from sony.  Sony's is a little more expensive (ofcourse).  But I finally convinced my mom to let me get one of these.  And both of them support everything.  They both have cablecard ready.  I just need your guys opinions.

And yes HDTV's look amazing we have smaller ones and my friend has one.  DO IT!

Joergen

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 05:20:00 PM »

biggrin.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3