xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Best Display Type  (Read 158 times)

slayer61

• Archived User
Best Display Type
« on: October 28, 2005, 03:39:00 PM »

what is the best display type you can get or for 360 aslong as it is a hdtv with 720p native 16:9 widescreen and a good contrast ratio then what about all the different types. which produces the best colours and blacks. so which type of display produces the sharpest nicest looking picture. i have seen some plasma and for the price they are was not to impressed same as some of the LCD tv's i have seen but i dotn know much about this. I have seen some very nice CRT displays and DLP seems great maybee the best picture and picture for you value?

Carlo210

• Archived User
Best Display Type
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 04:17:00 PM »

IMO, Dlp and Crt are tied. Dlp is more versatile, though, since more of them display 720p (I prefer it) etc. Crt sets have very nice sharpness and the best, most natural black levels around. I'd say go for either of these.

Also, you shouldn't worry about 'scaling lag'. The problem which caused this problem with some people is because their tv is doing the work with up/downscaling. This time around, the Xbox 360 will be doing the scaling.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Best Display Type
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 07:56:00 PM »

There isn't a best system periord...

To use a car analogy (because everyone loves car analogies):

What's the best car?

Well a Ferrari might be a good car, it's fast and it handles well...

But what If I'm really looking for the best car in terms of being able to transport the most people and go off-road... then the Ferrari is probably the worst car.

You need to choose a display type based on these factors:
1. the amount of money you can spend
2. the rough size of the display you're looking for
3. the amount of space you have to place your display (height/width/depth)
4. the brightness of the room you're putting the display in
5. the maximum angles in which people will be viewing it

The "Best" display depends on those factors.

I can't choose a best car until I know what my price range is, and if I need to go through mud-bogs or not.

slayer61

• Archived User
Best Display Type
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 08:16:00 PM »

i understand what you are saying but i am talking about only the picture here. nothing else here. i was just curious what tv produces the most high resolution sharpest looking image. i mean of all the display types which one produces the highest quality, sharpest looking image with the most deatil/ resolution understand what i am saying?

throwingks

• Archived User
Best Display Type
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 08:22:00 PM »

For gaming CRT has best quality. Samsung and Sony both make a Flat screen Thin Tube CRT for under $1000 with HDMI input.
http://www.engadget....47766019932855/

Brots06

• Archived User
Best Display Type
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 12:26:00 PM »

I LOVE my 62" Sony Wega LCD HD tv, we got a great deal on it. We paid like 3,200 for it and also recieved a free $600 home entertainment system. Video games look awsome on this tv along with HD cable tv.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Best Display Type
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 10:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(slayer61 @ Oct 28 2005, 10:27 PM)
i understand what you are saying but i am talking about only the picture here. nothing else here. i was just curious what tv produces the most high resolution sharpest looking image. i mean of all the display types which one produces the highest quality, sharpest looking image with the most deatil/ resolution understand what i am saying?

slayer61

• Archived User
Best Display Type
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 09:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Oct 30 2005, 07:18 PM)
You still have to consider those factors...

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Best Display Type
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 06:15:00 AM »

Exactly how much research do you have to do to tell me how much you can afford, the size of your room, how bright your room is (from daylight) during the times you'll generally be using your set, and what the seating arrangement is.

Seriously these shouldn't be difficult questions to post the answers too...

ANYONE looking for a new display or not should be able to answer these questions without even thinking about it.

Unless of course you're not even looking for a new set. Honestly only someone with no money and no house to put a TV in would be incapable of answering these questions. In which case you should maybe be concerned with something other than which technology is better.

Sorry there is no best. If there was a best then we wouldn't have other technologies available. Because if there was a clear superior technology no consumer or manufacturer would bother with the others.

throwingks

• Archived User
Best Display Type
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 07:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Nov 1 2005, 06:26 AM)

LowProfileWurm

• Archived User
Best Display Type
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 09:34:00 AM »

ohmy.gif ) wait for Toshiba's SED TV's to come out in Fall 2006.  They have refresh rates of <1ms (great for gaming), contrast ratios of 100,000:1, power consumption of 1/3 current Plasmas, and thicknesses of 2" or less.  These will be the "best" soon because they take all the good stuff from CRT's and cram it all in a package thinner than a plasma TV.    cool.gif   But that's a like a Ferrari that mated with a Hummer.  It does everything.  If you can't squeeze the pricetag though, you've answered one of Twisted's answers... cheaper is better.  Now, onto those other questions.   laugh.gif

Honestly, I hate playing games on a LCD TV.  And I can't afford more than $1000 worth of television, so I went Sammy Slimfit 30".  Fantastic TV for the price.  Games play great on it.  If you want bigger, get a DLP.  I hear they are slick too.