xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 7.1 Sound  (Read 108 times)

joerehall

• Archived User
7.1 Sound
« on: October 19, 2005, 04:34:00 PM »

i may be wrong, but i THINK the 360 will do 6.1 at the most.. so you'll atleast get true 6.1,

biosehnsucht

• Archived User
7.1 Sound
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 10:19:00 PM »

tongue.gif

Don't worry about 7.1 vs 6.1, there is no currently defined standard for delivery of 7.1 channels in digital form anyways, just DD EX/DTS ES which are really 6.1 regardless.

granty

• Archived User
7.1 Sound
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 06:02:00 AM »

What Audio formats will the Xbox360 Support?
Currently the Xbox360 is set to support mono, stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1, and DTS (theoretically "stereo" could includes multi chanel analog formats such as Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II, and DTS:Neo6 if the developer were to chooses to encode in one of those formats) The Xbox 360 WILL supports 6.1 and 7.1 digital audio formats but it is unknown which particular 6.1/7.1 formats will be supported.

That was from the audio FAQ so I not sure...but anyway is it possible to hook pc speakers up to the xbox 360? and how?

biosehnsucht

• Archived User
7.1 Sound
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 03:01:00 PM »

The xbox360 does all audio mixing in software, so it can handle any number of channels in any format as long as it can be piped out on either the analog stereo output or on the digital optical output, the problem is CURRENTLY there are no standards for anything over 6.1, so you can't REALLY do 7.1 out.

If some standard, that still uses the optical interconnect, were to arrive, then newer games could be designed to that standard (or maybe an OS update allowing all games to be mixed higher, not sure how much of the soundsystem is provided by the OS vs built into the game)

granty

• Archived User
7.1 Sound
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 03:24:00 PM »

Hmm ok I see, i'm confused about my sound system its a Videologic ZXR-750 click the link to see review, and I don't think it supports optical to slink, does this mean without new speakers I can't have xbox 360 with surround sound?