xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Projector  (Read 606 times)

Jonm888

• Archived User
Projector
« on: September 09, 2005, 11:35:00 AM »

Who knows how much projectors will be when the xbox 360 is moddable.  Nobody knows how much time it will take to mod the 360.  M$ is saying that its going to take some time to hack it.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Projector
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 11:49:00 AM »

beerchug.gif

You can pickup a projector for under $1K if you look for used, or late model projectors.

The Infocus X2 is a decent budget projector and last I looked you could pick it up for about $800 at Circuit City. Though it's replacement, The Infocus ScreenPlay SP-4805 looks like a MUCH better projector.

Also keep in mind that with a projector You'll need to provide your own audio... I got by for a while with a pair of stereo PC speakers (no better or worse than any TV's build in sound...) but you'll want to upgrade to a surround sound eventually I'm sure.

Also keep in mind that a good screen can DRAMATICALLY improve the picture quality. You can get buy projecting onto a clean white/off white wall but keep in mind that you should consider buying a screen eventually. A decent sized quality pull down screen will run you about $300 - $500. Electric remote operated screens are typically about $200 more than regular screens.

Or if you're handy you can buy the raw screen material and build it your self (Attached directly to a wall or to a frame you build for it).

Talk to Deftech too he's a projector junky like myself.  pop.gif

General rules of thumb when buying projectors
-DLP technology (don't settle for anything else  wink.gif )
-Get native widescreen if you can afford it
-Get native 720p (WXGA) if you can afford it
-Bulb life should be 3000hours or better
-Contrast ratio should be 1500:1 or better
-look for around 800 lumins or better brightness
-get a 4x color wheel or better if you can afford it (most cheaper projectors are 2x though it wont bother you unless you're one of the few people we see "rainbows" with DLPs)
-make sure it supports all the resolutions 480i/p 720p and 1080i (if it supports PAL 576i/p even better)
-make sure it's "HDTV compatible" and has component inputs or has an optional adapter for component inputs (for instance my projector has a VGA port but includes a component cable adapter SPECIFIC to my projector, if it's not included check the price of it, mine was included but they can run as high as $80)
-If it has DVI or HDMI make sure it also has HDCP on those ports, as you'll need to that play the upcoming HD-DVD and BRD formats.

um yeah... check out some AV forums and get people opinions on certain models or see what models others are posting about. it's hard picking out a good projector because stores don't even have them setup like the do TVs... so you pretty much have to buy them blind.

Deftech

• Archived User
Projector
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Sep 9 2005, 02:00 PM)
I have a projector and I love it... It's not even that great of a projector and I wouldn't trade it for any other display period  beerchug.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Projector
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 02:03:00 PM »

laugh.gif  In all honesty unless you have a component output (say from an HDTV tuner, even if it isn't in HD) will look miles and miles better.

3. Well... I bought my projector a little over a year ago and the average price for a projector with similar features from then to now has dropped about $100 to $200... so in 6 months time it might drop another $75 or $100 overall if it continues at the same rate.

pop.gif

ClintiePoo

• Archived User
Projector
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 04:21:00 PM »

Awesome post.  One day, when I get that big job, ...

Deftech

• Archived User
Projector
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 10:19:00 PM »

Brightness: All projectors measure significantly lower lumen outputs when optimized for best home theater performance. In general, the theoretical maximum rated lumen output does not correlate to actual lumen output in optimized video, and there is no constant ratio between the two that can be assumed. Some projectors, like the Mitsubishi HC100 and the NEC HT410, have a wide range of lumen output options depending on desired usage, thus making them more flexible for applications requiring ambient room light. However, when calibrated for home theater use in a fully darkened viewing area, most projectors measure a fraction of their rated potential. Once set up for video, and with lamp modes set to low for maximum lamp life and minimum fan noise, the actual lumen readings we measured on these seven models were as follows:

Model:....................Rated:.. Actual:
BenQ PE5120...........1100.......380
InFocus SP4805........750........350
Toshiba MT200.........700........330
Optoma H31.............850........325
Mitsubishi HC100......1300......300
NEC HT410..............1000.......250
Optoma H27.............850........185

Now its my turn to chime in.....

If youre going to go the projector route, do it right. make the room as dark as possible, and if youre single like me and dont have some whiny whench complaining how the theatre shouldnt be dark all the time...take advantage of the situation and make it dark. Mines black around the clock  laugh.gif

Id be compromising the picture otherwise. Not to mention the more light you have in the room the more you crank your black level and contrast, and that takes away from lamp/bulb life.

beerchug.gif

Deftech

• Archived User
Projector
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 09:27:00 AM »

beerchug.gif

Deftech

• Archived User
Projector
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 12:37:00 PM »

maybe thats where I confused them, because at one point I wanted a crt proj years ago.

Deftech

• Archived User
Projector
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 03:51:00 PM »

ph34r.gif well compared to the higher end ones

I will always recommend DLP. We will see it get better and better at an even faster rate than it is now. I dont want to get into the resolution debate, it just makes me grumpy.

Im happy for now with native 720p and how affordable they are  beerchug.gif

Deftech

• Archived User
Projector
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 05:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(brooksie48 @ Sep 10 2005, 07:29 PM)
Were you fucking out of your mind!? ohmy.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Projector
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 10:11:00 PM »

tongue.gif

It's got well over 14000 hours on it and still going strong, no burn in or anything

I used to have it on a push cart because the landlord of my apartment wouldn't let me mount it to the ceiling (not that I blame him  rolleyes.gif )..... anyway long story short... the calibration process to properly sync the 3 CRTs on the screen could take up to an hour if you were doing it alone... and well I had lots of drunk friends who would accidentally knock the cart around and constantly warrant re-calibration.... thank god for DLPs  laugh.gif

A few nice things about CRTs though:
1. loads of native resolutions supported
2. Has the same natural Anti Aliasing effect that CRT TVs do
3. No worries about bulb life (as I said 14000 hours and still strong)
4. outstanding response time (especially when compared to LCD projectors)
5. Fantastic black levels

though they are generally dimmer and there is the threat of burn in (though I've never experienced any) then there's the whole calibration issue and the fact that they're huge and heavy... my particular model weighs over 200lbs... not exactly portable  laugh.gif

Deftech

• Archived User
Projector
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 10:15:00 PM »

pop.gif

200 lbs, good grief.

How much was it bro?

you going to try and sell it? No Im not interested, just curious.

Yeah I was always interested in projectors, but the nagging things like bad blacks(lcd's), being huge and heavy, and pricey always pushed me away from actually buying one. Thank goodness for DLP indeed  love.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Projector
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2005, 10:38:00 PM »

ph34r.gif

Deftech

• Archived User
Projector
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2005, 10:42:00 PM »

smile.gif

Deftech

• Archived User
Projector
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2005, 10:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(brooksie48 @ Sep 11 2005, 01:02 AM)
If you break into your movie theater and mail me the $250,000 projector I will give you my house. I can post pics if you need them. tongue.gif
Pages: [1] 2