xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: So I Wasted My Money  (Read 393 times)

therebelious1

• Archived User
So I Wasted My Money
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 05:29:00 AM »

nfs:mw was so bad i took it back the day after i got it
i mean- take the cutscenes for example- dont they make you cringe?
one thats burned in my mind was near the start- some pretty-boy punk with a pierced lip saying 'you gotta big up your respect before you can roll with this crew' [or something such like]
that made me eject the disk and replace it in the box- took all my willpower to stop myself slinging it in the bin

theres no point even getting into the graphics argument- lets just say that at 1080i it looks worse than pgr1 or burnout1 did in TVres through a composite cable which was about 50metres long and took a route round a van-de-graaf generator on the way to the tv

zikronix

• Archived User
So I Wasted My Money
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 07:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(tonloc79 @ Jan 5 2006, 06:11 AM) View Post

Quit compareing a sim racer to an arcade racer, there different. The argument wasnt which was better anyways, just that he thought he wasted his money. Forza is a great game but so is PGR3.

Ummm...yea I was the person that started the thread. So I will compare it to what ever the fuck i want. And Im sorry PGR3 is weak on many more aspects.

For example the AA is poor, the realism (scenery might look good) but as far as driving realism it just isnt there for me. Rather in in car or out side car the feeling of speed isnt there. The feeling of handling i just cant grasp. I had no complaints wiht pgr 2. I can pin point just one thing I would say it is many

QUOTE(CAjr45 @ Jan 5 2006, 08:15 AM) View Post

well if you say pgr3 looks like pgr2 dont get doa4 cause its looks just like doa3

doa4 i have that...There is a difference.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
So I Wasted My Money
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 08:53:00 AM »

Aside from the jaggies I've got nothing but love for PGR3's graphics. The graphical style is based in realism which can't be compared to games like Burnout or NFS which are based more in Movie-land with over the top camera effects. Don't get me wrong I think they all look good just different styles.

I can completely respect someone not liking the Kudos racing system or the way PGR3 fits on the fine line between Arcade and Sim racer... Those are the qualities that make the PGR series unique. PGR since it's inception as MSR on the Dreamcast has danced on the line between sim and arcade racer, and has defined racing status by kudos points rather than lap-times.

If you don't like PGR due to those qualities then perhaps you should have done more research into the series before you bought it. It'd be like buying Mortal Kombat and complaining that there's blood and guts. Kudos and the Sim/Arcade cross are the defining characteristics of PGR if you don't like it that's fine but don't bother complaining because that's what makes PGR, PGR.

KAGE360

• Archived User
So I Wasted My Money
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 09:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jan 5 2006, 11:00 AM) View Post

Aside from the jaggies I've got nothing but love for PGR3's graphics. The graphical style is based in realism which can't be compared to games like Burnout or NFS which are based more in Movie-land with over the top camera effects. Don't get me wrong I think they all look good just different styles.

I can completely respect someone not liking the Kudos racing system or the way PGR3 fits on the fine line between Arcade and Sim racer... Those are the qualities that make the PGR series unique. PGR since it's inception as MSR on the Dreamcast has danced on the line between sim and arcade racer, and has defined racing status by kudos points rather than lap-times.

If you don't like PGR due to those qualities then perhaps you should have done more research into the series before you bought it. It'd be like buying Mortal Kombat and complaining that there's blood and guts. Kudos and the Sim/Arcade cross are the defining characteristics of PGR if you don't like it that's fine but don't bother complaining because that's what makes PGR, PGR.

i agree entirely and have loved the series since MSR on the DC.  

speaking of doing research there is something he said (and others have said before) that bothers me....

QUOTE(zikronix @ Jan 5 2006, 09:07 AM) View Post

I had no complaints wiht pgr 2. I can pin point just one thing I would say it is many

other then them making the handling more sim-like, this is the same kind of gameplay and style that has been used in the PGR series.  so i really dont understand how someone could like PGR 1 and 2 but not 3.  yes the jaggies im sure are a minor nusance but everything else good about the game greatly overshadows any small negative features that can be found in the game.  

i also agree that its stupid to compare different racing games because they all have their own art and gameplay styles.  its not like comparing forza to GT which i can understand as they are both sim racers but this is a arcade racer with a touch of sim, totally different.

deakphreak

• Archived User
So I Wasted My Money
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 09:36:00 AM »

I LOVE this game it is does look very nice in HD.  This is one game that im going to keep forever. I played through kameo and beat everything along with my wife and we ended up selling that one.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
So I Wasted My Money
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Jan 5 2006, 11:34 AM) View Post

speaking of doing research there is something he said (and others have said before) that bothers me....
QUOTE(zikronix @ Jan 5 2006, 09:07 AM) View Post

I had no complaints wiht pgr 2. I can pin point just one thing I would say it is many

other then them making the handling more sim-like, this is the same kind of gameplay and style that has been used in the PGR series.  so i really dont understand how someone could like PGR 1 and 2 but not 3...

yeah I didn't get that at all either... as a fan of the series the only complaint I have in terms of the series change is that there isn't ENOUGH kudos challenges. there are only what? 8 total kudos challenges this time? The Drift Challenges and Time vs. Kudos are interesting and nice additions but no replacement for a pure kudos challenge, also the kudos challenges seem to have been growing more gate based as opposed to style based as it was in previous versions. A minor complaint but it's opposite from what a lot of other people complain about the series.

GerbilJammer

• Archived User
So I Wasted My Money
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2006, 12:58:00 AM »

pgr3 is fun online!
Yea, if you like bumper cars. Every match I've played in, the first turn becomes wipeout ally.

Chancer

• Archived User
So I Wasted My Money
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 04:30:00 AM »

I played through kameo and beat everything along with my wife

You beat your wife ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  .....sorry I couldn't resist.
I like PGR3 but I am real crap at it so it holds  some attraction to me. The cars don't seem to handle like a real car would though, the drifts seem as if the whole car goes at once rather than the front or back end breaking free (Hard To explain)
I know I am a sad act but I still prefer the handling of cars in Rally type games smile.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
So I Wasted My Money
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 09:13:00 AM »

Anyone who says PGR3 doesn't look good needs to look here:
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=479636

if the game is going for realism... exactly what is wrong with the graphic asside from jaggies (Which NFS MW has as well, in addition to crappy frame rates and screan tearing).

alsybub

• Archived User
So I Wasted My Money
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2006, 09:51:00 AM »

I can't believe people can actually say that PGR3 looks crap! I have been a gamer for years and will play anything on any system if it is good. PGR3 looks and sounds amazing. What is so impressive is the subtlety of the effects. The manipulation of light based on the opening and closing of the pupil when sun shines on it and when in a dark tunnel viewing a bright street beyond is cutting edge. It was only recently show cased in the recent HL2 demo. As we get closer to true photo realism things are going to begin to look less and less impressive. Why? Because when you see the same thing in a game as you do in your every day life all of a sudden it won't look special, because we see it all the time. Although we know it's a game our subconscious just sees it as the same as everything else we look at. Hence why you will find people saying that games like NFS:MW are graphically more superior, simply because your senses are bombarded with effects. I believe that over time the focus will move away from photo realism and focus on the other features of gaming i.e. Genre, Physics, Sound and Gameplay. After all, once colour had been reached in film they didn't go any further did they? Yes picture quality is improved but that is evolution and not revolution. In fact the film industry is a good comparison. Once sound was availabe, and to a lesser extent colour, it went into its 'Golden age' when directors were finally able to showcase stories which people had never dreamed of and the imagination was the only limit. Gaming is fast approaching this and when it arrives everything is going to change.

woofis

• Archived User
So I Wasted My Money
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2006, 05:54:00 PM »

pgr3 has the best graphics on the 360 as of right now. what are you talking about? the game

Master X

• Archived User
So I Wasted My Money
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2006, 05:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(woofis @ Jan 11 2006, 10:01 PM) View Post

pgr3 has the best graphics on the 360 as of right now. what are you talking about? the game

Fight Night Round 3 demo?

DeBigMachine

• Archived User
So I Wasted My Money
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2006, 07:13:00 PM »

PGR3 is a good game but I like NFS better cuz you can race and get into police chases, don't forget the free roam as well.

alsybub

• Archived User
So I Wasted My Money
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2006, 07:27:00 PM »

You're entitled to your opinion.

IPB Image

woofis

• Archived User
So I Wasted My Money
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2006, 08:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(Master X @ Jan 11 2006, 08:06 PM) View Post

Fight Night Round 3 demo?

last time i checked that was a demo and the game hasnt been released yet. so therefore cannot count as a game in the runnings  tongue.gif
dont get me wrong, nfs is a good game. but gets really boring. it really comes down to what type of racer you like. wether it be pgr3, or nfs or non lets all just stfu and enjoy the 360 together  beerchug.gif
Pages: 1 [2] 3