xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ea Just Plain Sucks At Software Development!  (Read 246 times)

crobar

• Archived User
Ea Just Plain Sucks At Software Development!
« on: December 28, 2005, 07:19:00 AM »

i have to agree with you there
EA has been buying up fun inovative games and companies thinking it will save their suckatude
but it wont
EA milks a product till its dead.
they will kill all the fun games & companies  they buy out too

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 08:03:00 AM »

its EA, that is that should need to be said.

also it might answer some of your questions to read this....

http://forums.xbox-s...hp/t468722.html

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 08:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(crobar @ Dec 28 2005, 09:26 AM) View Post

EA milks a product till its dead.
they will kill all the fun games & companies  they buy out too

So true. I also love how they have forgotten about their titles that didnt suck. Like, Road Rash, the Mutant League series (could you imagine these games with todays visuals love.gif) The Strike series (havent had one since Soviet Strike on PSX), etc.

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 09:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(deftonesmx17 @ Dec 28 2005, 10:31 AM) View Post

So true. I also love how they have forgotten about their titles that didnt suck. Like, Road Rash, the Mutant League series (could you imagine these games with todays visuals love.gif) The Strike series (havent had one since Soviet Strike on PSX), etc.

i agree totally.  LOVED road rash, strike, and mutant league football on the genesis.

Vinestrike77

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 10:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(Category 5 @ Dec 28 2005, 03:30 AM) View Post

I can't belive how they let NFS out of quality control.  This is an XBOX 360 game and while the graphics are nice the frame rate chuggs like a Playstation 1 game.  Also, did anybody at EA notice that there is horrendous frame tearing throughout the game?  

Unfortunately I don't or too stupid to know. Please explain to me what a frame rate is or how can it be noticed. I'm a CPA so all I really know up to par is Accounting and Finance but don't know much about Graphics. Please explain?

I know tha obvious is to look up Frame Rate in some Dict. or Google it but I would like to read it from a players perspective.

Thanks,

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 11:02:00 AM »

all video can be broken down in to still pictures called "frames"

Typically on a regular non HDTV the picture completely changes (called "refreshing") at a rate of 30 times per second. or 30Hz (Hz essentially means "times per second")

This gives you 30 Frames per second (often referred to as FPS).

This is also sometimes referred to as the "Refresh Rate" or the "Frame rate" all meaning essentially the same thing.

The display device is a limiting factor and it will always function at it's set speed (often monitors will allow for a variety of refresh rates where TVs only have 1 speed). Typically when referring to a display we talk about "refresh rate" and refer to it in Hz... When talking about source signal (your video game console, or DVD player) we talk about "frame rate" and in terms of FPS.

When a game is poorly coded or when the hardware has problems running the code to generate the image the frame rate can drop to less then optimal speeds. Typically any FPS below 25 is clearly visible by the human eye. The higher the frame rate the more smooth and natural the image looks. Most HDTVs have a max refresh rate of 60Hz meaning that it's desirable for your video games to run at or above 60FPS.

typically when a frame rate is incredibly low it's referred to as "chugging" (don't know why, it's just a slag term as if the hardware is lumbering along like a steam engine trying to get up hill).

I hope that clears it up.