xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Not Looking That Nice  (Read 311 times)

woofis

• Archived User
Not Looking That Nice
« on: April 30, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »

sup guys. i have an infocus projector that has high def inputs. all my games i play look beautiful on it. however with gta it really doesnt look high def at all. ive seen videos and screenshots online of gta in high def and it looks amazing. anyone know why the picture on my projector isnt looking to good only for this game?

specialk1985

• Archived User
Not Looking That Nice
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »

im having the same problem on my 50" widescreen tv. at certain points its so dark I can barely see were I am going (when hes under bridges and in houses etc) even with my lights off and blinds closed.

scuba156

• Archived User
Not Looking That Nice
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »

specialk - personally, i like that it is a dark game, makes it seem real. i hate games where its night time and you can still see something 100m away that is supposed to be sitting in pure darkness. you can change the brightness settings on your TV or within the games settings to help your situation. also use highbeams while driving

woofis - describe what 'isnt too good' means exactly as its quite a general thing

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
Not Looking That Nice
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »

im playing on a 65inch old rear projection HD set and im pretty impressed as far as the GTA series goes graphically.

definitely no complaints here!

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Not Looking That Nice
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 06:44:00 AM »

first thing i did when i popped the game is was look for the options to turn motion blur off.one thing in gta i could never stand. unfortunatly, its not there....

BoNg420

• Archived User
Not Looking That Nice
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 06:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(hamwbone @ May 2 2008, 08:44 AM) View Post

first thing i did when i popped the game is was look for the options to turn motion blur off.one thing in gta i could never stand. unfortunatly, its not there....

wouldnt motion blur be caused by your TV...

scuba156

• Archived User
Not Looking That Nice
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 07:43:00 AM »

the motion blur is caused by the game. every 3D GTA has motion blur and it makes it look worse IMO. GTA IV's motion blur is really bad

hardcandy

• Archived User
Not Looking That Nice
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(woofis @ Apr 30 2008, 09:20 PM) View Post

sup guys. i have an infocus projector that has high def inputs. all my games i play look beautiful on it. however with gta it really doesnt look high def at all. ive seen videos and screenshots online of gta in high def and it looks amazing. anyone know why the picture on my projector isnt looking to good only for this game?

Is your projector set to a particular resolution? Any upscaling by the projector? Example; If your projector is set to 1080P, maybe try and lower it to 720P (which is what the xbox puts out). Or if the projector is set to 1080i, try the 720P. What type of cable are you using? HDMI, component?

quell

• Archived User
Not Looking That Nice
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »

I have a new 46" sharp lcd 1080p tv and I wasnt that impressed with the graphics either (at the start of the game). At the start you hang around under those raised train tracks and the shadowing on the ground and cars looks terrible. I turned the output of my 360 down to 720p and it made a slight difference in the graphics quality. What it did do however was increase the reaction speed of the game considerably, the cars handled better and frame rates seemed smoother. My mate cranked up the game with me on my tv and then went home to play it on his small flat screen crt tv and he said the graphics looked better on his tv so it does seem to  
look a bit blurred on big screens. I much prefer fogging over blur myself.

pingrr

• Archived User
Not Looking That Nice
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »

It depends on the Tv.  I have two bigscreen TV's.  A 60 in sony tv that is about a year old and a 65 inch Toshiba tv that is about 5 or 6 years old.

There is a huge difference between the two TV's.  The picture quality on the newer sony TV is much much better than the older big screen.  

This is how I would rate the picture quality on the 2 tvs

1 year old sony rear projection SXRD display  10 out of 10

5 year old Toshiba rear projection  6.5 or 7 out of 10

Vfreitas

• Archived User
Not Looking That Nice
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »

Only visual problem I've heard consistently is how dark the game. When I first bought it the first thing I did was jack up the brightness a bit, I urge you to do the same.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Not Looking That Nice
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 07:06:00 AM »

im thinking they did it more for art reasons, instead of using fog  or pop up buildings to cover up draw distance they are using some time if dithering and setting the background out of focus, makes me queasy a bit

SigmaXIX

• Archived User
Not Looking That Nice
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »

This game looks AWESOME on a Samsung Plasma Screen.  I think it's because I've read that the colors are what's better in the Xbox360 version over the PS3.  That also may be why the guy with the CRT says it looks better -- CRT has about the most-accurate contrast and color.

But, as some other people suggest, change to 720p.  When you get to the 3rd part of the city, Dukes, you'll see what the hype is about!

You can also change your TV settings.  Maybe there is a better setting on those home theatre websites for your TV?  Also, there are really good calibration DVDs, but in order to use those best,  you need to be skilled in calibration... Just find some video website thru google for your optimal TV settings [contrast, brightness, etc].

Honestly, I think it looks way better than both Oblivion AND Mass Effect [which this reminds me of the most].

This post has been edited by SigmaXIX: May 5 2008, 02:53 AM

Poopchute

• Archived User
Not Looking That Nice
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 12:49:00 AM »

I personally think that the graphic seem washed out and to blurry.  They certainly sharpened up any game footage that you see in a commercial.  It sure aint that sharp in real life.  I have a 42 inch LCD and my friend has a 62 inch Samsung and it looks crappy on both setups...

grim_d

• Archived User
Not Looking That Nice
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 07:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(Poopchute @ May 19 2008, 08:25 AM) View Post

I personally think that the graphic seem washed out and to blurry.  They certainly sharpened up any game footage that you see in a commercial.  It sure aint that sharp in real life.  I have a 42 inch LCD and my friend has a 62 inch Samsung and it looks crappy on both setups...

if you think it looks washed out then turn up the saturation in the options. the washed out colours add to the feel of the game IMHO.

looks nice and sharp on my lcd, it even looked ok in SD.

personally i have zero complaints about the gfx, i rarely experience any pop-in and any i do its tiny things like a lamp or something, the texture pop-in in Gears was much much worse.

pop-in (to me) seems to be mostly an issues with backups, solution..use the original.
Pages: [1] 2