xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: RockStar Scared of GTA IV Leak Before Launch - Monitors Play *Updated*  (Read 861 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

RockStar Scared of GTA IV Leak Before Launch - Monitors Play *Updated*
Posted by XanTium | April 23 00:54 EST | News Category: Xbox360

We received information this was sent to people who get GTA IV early... it seems like they are making sure that even if the game was leaked online prior launch (UPDATE: It seems that in meantime the Xbox360 PAL version of the game leaked online ...) it will not be usable online and achievements will stay hidden:

Xbox 360 Version:
We need your Gamertag because Microsoft will be helping Rockstar Games monitor access to the online modes up to release date. Because of this, we will need to add your Gamertag to the approved list of gamers who can play online prior to release. In addition to supplying this information, if you do intend to go online before April 29th, you will need to change a couple of the basic settings on your Xbox 360 and keep these settings like this till the game comes out, otherwise other people will be able to see your achievements list for GTA IV (even if you are playing another game) and we'd like to keep that information back for the fans. You will have to switch your profile to private and appear off line. We have attached a document that explains exactly how you do this just in case.

PS3 Version:
There are no privacy settings that can be set on the PS3 but we will still be tracking who is going on line so again it will make it easier for us to identify you as a genuine user if we have your ID.

gli7ch

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 12:18:00 AM »

Sounds like they mean business, hopefully no one on this forum will have to become a victim of this

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 12:30:00 AM »

wasn't the achievement list leaked weeks ago or was it a fake?

DMAddict

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 12:05:00 AM »

Hey Rockstar, if your so fricken worried about it being leaked, then don't give out any early copies.  uhh.gif

Edit: *changes sig to scare them even more.  laugh.gif  ph34r.gif

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 12:57:00 AM »

Im glad they are being cautious.  It seemed like every game for a while was leaked.  

Anybody like the french halo 2?   smile.gif

Software2

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 02:02:00 AM »

Oh, everybody in my dorm loved French Halo 2. Good times were had by all. And then I went to the midnight release, and laughed at people who honestly thought they were getting it before anyone else.

What I don't understand is why they don't want the achievements to be released. Many companies use the achievement list as more free advertising.

Charbless

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 02:13:00 AM »

It's not about them being leaked it's about stores selling them early.

All the stores here i have asked say they got there stock of gta in over a week ago people in game mentioned even playing it in the back.

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 03:30:00 AM »

Well ya, thats how most leaks happen.  (stores)

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 03:34:00 AM »

I don't believe this.
Sorry but since when did Rockstar supply direct. How do they know who has bought it without shops disclosing private information to about people, that they can not do under the data protection act here.
 How are they going to account for the stores in town that have before and will again sell this before release to cash paying customers?
How are they going to verify that people have legit copies?
If they are telling people to make settings to stop it appearing in GTs how do they know everyone with a leaked version will not do it.
 Lot off things not adding up here.

This post has been edited by Chancer: Apr 23 2008, 10:35 AM

chinchillanet.co.uk

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 03:42:00 AM »

Rockstar do not supply stores direct, at least not in the uk anyways.

ALL of m$ products go through a company called GEM, which is based in Harlow, Essex.

When they are mentioning games sent to people early, i assumed they must be on about Rockstar staff, and other staff who have helped in making GTAIV in some way.
Hell, even the GEM staff get the games well early, and most are even allowed a free copy!

as for other stores in the UK, blockbuster for example, they get there games in almost a week early, but still from GEM. the staff are allowed to rent games on their staff accounts before general release, but this time GTAIV isnt out for rental before sale.

so, as for them checking for people playing online, they will probably just look at server stats and check ips etc, then if the numbers dont add up youll no doubt get a message.

ive been looking on newsgroups and there are already a few copies of GTAIV available, whether they are real or not i cannot say as i dont have a modded 360.

companies are never gonna stop games getting leaked, same as movie companies.

like the guy above said, if they want it to be safe until launch, dont send out preview copies which are just begging to be leaked to the world!

stezo2k

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 03:58:00 AM »

I dont know why their so bothered about it, its out in a few days anyway. i'd understand if it was weeks or months

i'll be getting mine about 4 days early anyway cool.gif the joys of working retail...

sm0kie

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 03:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Apr 23 2008, 10:34 AM) View Post

I don't believe this.
Sorry but since when did Rockstar supply direct. How do they know who has bought it without shops disclosing private information to about people, that they can not do under the data protection act here.
 How are they going to account for the stores in town that have before and will again sell this before release to cash paying customers?
If they are telling people to make settings to stop it appearing in GTs how do they know everyone with a leaked version will not do it.

Dude, be happy smile.gif. Were have they mentioned that shops are giving private info away? They are asking all legit early users to tell them there gamertag so they can see if you are cool to play early, not that confusing or bad really, makes sence (if you no anything about the game industry from the inside)

the dude above "i'll be getting mine about 4 days early anyway  the joys of working retail" is the sort of people they are after catching, he can prob kiss goodbye to his Live account when the summer ban wave hits.

toytown

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 04:46:00 AM »

I cant believe that this even made news, when it was obvious it was BS.   At the start of the article it goes onto explain how the email has been sent out to people who have preordered the game, with the second line saying something like

"Please let us know of the system you want the discs sent out for"

Lol, like the shop suddenly forgot that you ordered the PS3/360 version.   This article is absolute BS and should be removed.   None of the people i know who preordered the game and have had emails about it being sent out have got this crap.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 04:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Apr 23 2008, 10:34 AM) View Post

I don't believe this.

One word for what they're doing - scaremongering. It'll probably work too.

[TR]

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 05:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Apr 23 2008, 09:34 AM) View Post

I don't believe this.

A very serious "+1".
Treating customers as thieves is always so nice to see. Even if in this case all is as they tell us, it stinks anyway.
Bunch of control freaks!
And "Let's hype this game to Pluto and back" = "Why are we getting retail money before release date?!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5