xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pachter: Take-Two Could Delay GTA IV  (Read 422 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Pachter: Take-Two Could Delay GTA IV
« on: June 01, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | June 1 22:59 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From next-gen.biz:

Take-Two's new management might "throw in the towel" on fiscal 2007, pushing Grand Theft Auto IV back a few weeks to make for a more solid fiscal 2008, stated Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter in a note to investors today.

Currently, GTA IV is slated to release simultaneously on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on October 16, just before the end of the fiscal year.

There's also the Halo 3 factor that Take-Two could take into consideration. "We believe that a two-week delay would provide a reasonable gap between the launch of Halo 3 and the launch of GTA IV, and would actually help sales of both games," wrote Pachter.

Pachter even said that there would be advantages to launching the $90 collector's edition GTA IV SKU on the originally planned date. "...A delay of the 'normal' SKU for GTA IV by two or three weeks could allow Take-Two to maximize revenues from the $89.99 Collector's Edition of the game by shipping that SKU on October 17, and to increase overall profitability," he said.

Full Story: next-gen.biz

DrPepperFan15

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »

take-two needs to realize that GTA is GTA and people will get it reguardless of Halo 3... oh well, as long as it comes out in 07 we'll all be happy

rhg84

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »

If they release the special edition on time only, that will piss off a TON of people.  But it being GTA they might be able to get away with it because people will still buy the game no matter what.  I for one think its idiotic

This post has been edited by rhg84: Jun 2 2007, 04:07 AM

Andrew_Roy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »

They need to release on the same day so I don't have to carry around a Master Chief Head without that Rockstar Dufflebag.

Nytemunkey

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(DrPepperFan15 @ Jun 2 2007, 04:04 AM) View Post

take-two needs to realize that GTA is GTA and people will get it reguardless of Halo 3... oh well, as long as it comes out in 07 we'll all be happy

Actually I think it is a smart move. Sure they will have almost the same sales if they don't delay. But they will probably get  more initial sales from a delay. You have to realize to some people dropping 60 bucks on Halo 3 and then two weeks later dropping another 60 on GTA doesnt sound too appealing. Wouldnt matter to me if they were released on the same day, I would just be 120 bucks down that day, but for some people priorities are different and a couple more weeks means another paycheck (or welfare check).

Not to mention that halo 3 is definitly going to promote more system sales too. So 60 dollar game and a 400 dollar system means no GTA for some for a while.

And finally some people will be so involved with H3 that they won't even be thinking about GTA for a while. Let the initial H3 craziness die down and it will be easier to sell more games on release date.

Sure overall sales won't really be hurt w/o a delay, but I think rockstar is going for record breaking sales on release day to only further fuel the hype for those who didnt buy it right away.

de.uchiha

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 11:16:00 PM »

they should release xbox 360 consoles without flaws and with GTA 4 and Halo 3 for 400 $

now that would sell billions

This post has been edited by de.uchiha: Jun 2 2007, 06:16 AM

Jakerzon

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 02:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(Nytemunkey @ Jun 1 2007, 09:06 PM) View Post

Actually I think it is a smart move. Sure they will have almost the same sales if they don't delay. But they will probably get  more initial sales from a delay. You have to realize to some people dropping 60 bucks on Halo 3 and then two weeks later dropping another 60 on GTA doesnt sound too appealing. Wouldnt matter to me if they were released on the same day, I would just be 120 bucks down that day, but for some people priorities are different and a couple more weeks means another paycheck (or welfare check).

Not to mention that halo 3 is definitly going to promote more system sales too. So 60 dollar game and a 400 dollar system means no GTA for some for a while.

I totally agree. Whenever there is a competing brand or product, it is very wise to introduce a delay. Everyone knows it will sell, but it's important to realize how much these games cost! If it means dropping over $150 on 2 games in one purchase, that will make people pause. If it means doing that over a span of a few weeks or a month, then no problem! It's about cash flow.

All Halo fans want Halo 3. All GTA fans want the IV. Many many many will want both(including me). Anyone working in retail sales of these types of products (electronics, machines, etc) knows the demand for highly anticipated games like GTA.

Not only that, but you also have to take into account the retail perspective. If you have 2 games that are perhaps the most highly anticipated video games in history coming out at the same time, then it's easy to see why they need a break or a delay between releases.

It's smart planning. I would not be surprised if they delayed the GTA release another 2 weeks.

I also wonder what type of sales the PS3 and 360 will have after and during these game releases.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 05:56:00 AM »

I wish these anaylist would shut up, they know nothing or generally pull figures out of there ass. Let the publisher decide, I'm only happy if it makes the game better, not happy if they want to make more dollar because of Halo 3 hype.

fahrenheit

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 07:02:00 AM »

I can live with a delay, but staggering the LE and standard edition releases is tantamount to giving your fans the big finger. I don't think it will happen but I'm appauled at the suggestion.

signum

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »

What a load of crap! Ok they said they might have to push the game into 2008 and then say they could release the Collectors Edition only on the original date planned. What a joke! This just smells like a money scheme. Why can't you release all Editions all together since you will have the game finished so why would there be any reason to pull back the cheaper versions like 2 weeks after the most expensive version? I wish i could slap Rockstar in the face for this. Are they expecting such a mass expectation of people that will buy it no matter what? GTA = OVERHYPED I'm not saying its going to be a bad game because i am waiting for this game to come out as i want to get it but i can't help but feel like they are living on the hype of the game so much that they think they are able to do anything, even if it means this money scheme.

gamerguy999

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(signum @ Jun 2 2007, 11:36 AM) View Post

What a load of crap! Ok they said they might have to push the game into 2008 and then say they could release the Collectors Edition only on the original date planned. What a joke! This just smells like a money scheme. Why can't you release all Editions all together since you will have the game finished so why would there be any reason to pull back the cheaper versions like 2 weeks after the most expensive version? I wish i could slap Rockstar in the face for this. Are they expecting such a mass expectation of people that will buy it no matter what? GTA = OVERHYPED I'm not saying its going to be a bad game because i am waiting for this game to come out as i want to get it but i can't help but feel like they are living on the hype of the game so much that they think they are able to do anything, even if it means this money scheme.

They would not release it in 2008, it would be like the first week of November 2007. And they would not do it because the game is not ready, they would do it so that they are not competing quite so directly with Halo 3. And the reason  that they would release the LE version first is so that people that would normally not buy the LE version, would so that they would not have to wait the 2-3 weeks for it. Which would increase their profits even more.

READ THE ARTICLE COMPLETELY BEFORE POSTING.

AdoptedDeV

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 03:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(fahrenheit @ Jun 2 2007, 01:02 PM) *

I can live with a delay, but staggering the LE and standard edition releases is tantamount to giving your fans the big finger. I don't think it will happen but I'm appauled at the suggestion.

What he said.

This almost borders on spam.... damn!

DeMoN_DARREN

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 09:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(fahrenheit @ Jun 2 2007, 02:02 PM) View Post

This is the quote of quotes

signum

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 12:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(gamerguy999 @ Jun 3 2007, 06:30 AM) View Post

They would not release it in 2008, it would be like the first week of November 2007. And they would not do it because the game is not ready, they would do it so that they are not competing quite so directly with Halo 3. And the reason  that they would release the LE version first is so that people that would normally not buy the LE version, would so that they would not have to wait the 2-3 weeks for it. Which would increase their profits even more.

READ THE ARTICLE COMPLETELY BEFORE POSTING.

Did you not read anything i said? It says on the news that it could be delayed until 2008..So i didnt read that wrong. And releasing the normal Edition 2 weeks after the originally planned date while the LE still is on track..I didnt read that wrong either. I was clearly expressing my concern as to why they are going to screw over many people who don't even want the LE edition, i know i don't want it. They think because it is GTA they can do it. Who cares if it releases near Halo3, if anyone who wants both games will get them regardless. Tell me though, if Halo3 was going to affect sales with GTA4, then why are they planning to release the LE e.g most expensive edition first?!?

HGvR

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 02:18:00 AM »

Why bother about these news? It´s nothing other than the ramblings of an analyst about what he would do if he was take-two.
And I´m pretty sure take-two know themselves what they´re doing.
Infact the only one who needs the opinion of the analyst is the analyst himself to profilate.
This Pachter guy yells his simple and easy-to-figure-opinions out into the world weekly.
As if he was some kind of expert. Had some kind of special insight.
His guesses are as good as anyones, ask a kid on a message board for his opinion and put it against Pachters and the chance any is gonna be right is 50-50.
Sites like xbox-scene shouldn´t even spread fortune telling like this.
People actually start believing this is true wink.gif
Pages: [1] 2