xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Did Anyone Suck At First And Then Get Good?  (Read 193 times)

no0b123

• Archived User
Did Anyone Suck At First And Then Get Good?
« on: May 08, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »

I did suck at first. I got owned online AFTER my Insane completion achievement. Just keep playing the game, you'll get good. I would always play in Ranked servers so that my points would be counted. It's better to practice in a place where you can get points for little skill than no points in a unranked online game. Also, you will realize the shotgun is your best friend.

coldasice

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »

I played for like a week at a friends house in Florida when I went to check out the college. Needless to say I sucked. I guess my learning curve was helped because I had someone to help me out. And yeah as Noob123 said the shotgun is your best friend. It helps to experiment with the weapons to see what works in certain situations. Just practice mostly. I usually play ranked matches. The opponents are tougher, for me that worked out because I wanted to step up my game to win. Plus there are very few glitchers in ranked matches. I've only come across 1 so far.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 07:19:00 AM »

I think most people suck at first and for 2 reasons.

1. 70% of doing well online is map memorization, knowing where people typically hide, knowing where the weapons are and knowing which areas are usually safe and which area's aren't

2. Versus strategy is completely different from Campaign strategy. In Campaign mode you'll want to hide pop out and shoot, and push forward. The enemy always comes at you from the front and they'll generally hide and push forward as well. You learn to use cover in campaign mode.

In Versus mode cover generally slows you down. Unless you're hiding behind a low wall, jumping up a ledge or trying to get away from the hammer of dawn you pretty much need to forget everything you learned in Campaign mode because it just doesn't work in Versus. It varies from map to map but enemies can come at you from all angles, they'll sneak around behind you, they use the same weapons you do, and they think nothing of just rushing in for some close combat.

For Versus you need to learn to run and dodge and shoot from the hip. and you need to learn to hide and move from cover to cover without clinging to it.

Hosting your own games and using the shotgun is a good way to boost the odds in your favor too.  rolleyes.gif

As long as you don't completely suck, memorizing the maps, where the weapons are and the areas most people will rush and hide are the best ways to get ahead. Annex is a great training for this as you continually respawn giving you more play time and the hold points are always on weapons helping you learn where they are.

Nylan

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »

@twistedsymphony
Great advice, will do.  Haven't tried annex yet (because of the no acheivements) but constant respawn does sound like more practice time.

Thx to all for the responce  biggrin.gif

Tiuk

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(Nylan @ May 10 2007, 03:58 PM) View Post

@twistedsymphony
Great advice, will do.  Haven't tried annex yet (because of the no acheivements) but constant respawn does sound like more practice time.

Thx to all for the responce  biggrin.gif

Yeah, Annex is great for learning maps. Not only do you get more play time, all the key weapon spots are highlighted for you.

Navillos

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »

well first off FUCK ranked games. theres the assholes that chainsaw you all the time or stick you with grenades all the time for achievements. player match is the way to go. you can join your friends no problem and NO ACHIEVEMENT WHORES. hit me up on live for a good game you can be on my team. best advice i can give is get good with the shotty you will see it ALOT. also you need to learn to shoot the shotty without aiming.

gamertag: swiftmushroom

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 06:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(Tiuk @ May 10 2007, 01:03 PM) View Post

He said pretty much everything I would have.

I do somewhat disagree about cover, though. You do use it differently in multiplayer, but it still plays a big factor. I think the biggest advantage to cover in MP is the fact that when you snap to or away from it, you move faster than normal. This is useful for dodging fire, and taking enemies by surprise.

Also, melee a lot. If you know you've hit someone hard with the shotgun once, don't bother trying to get another shot on them if you're close, just whack 'em with the gun and they'll go down. It's also useful to melee when you're in close combat and need to reload (reloading will almost certainly get you killed).

I agree with both of your points...

I actually do use the cover as a way to move quicker around the maps... I completely forgot about that. You'll get a feel for when you're in range of a wall, tap A and you'll slide really fast up to that wall. Much faster then you can run, and if you're trying to get over the wall you can push up and A as soon as you hit it to launch over it. This is particularly useful when dodging fire or rushing a weapon at the start of a match... though IMO you're not really using it for cover you're re-purposing it.

As for Melee... it can be useful but you need to really learn how much damage each weapon does before you can use it effectively. Each weapon has different speed and damage characteristics. The worst being the hammer of dawn which is the slowest and requires three hits to down your opponent. The Torquebow is the best as it's fairly quick and does the most damage: 2 hits (only 1 if they're even slightly damaged from something else). The pistol is pretty good to as it does a fair amount of damage and is REALLY quick. Then of course the lancer is it's own beast with the chainsaw. Unless you're ridiculously good you should never rely on just melee, but knowing the characteristics of the various weapons well enough it can be deadly when used in conjunction with weapon fire. This really doesn't differ from the campaign mode, which is why I didn't mention it, though I supposed in Versus you'll find yourself in a whole lot more close combat situations.

malbowsier

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 07:51:00 AM »

just to add my 0.02,

Generally I use shotgun in close .  Usually one shot will take em down or out, depending on your aim.

Another option is before you get close fire off a few shots at 'em with the pistol then melee as you go in. downs 'em every time. Then curb stomp or mele which ever you prefer.

If you are out-numbered then grenade tag is the way to go......... (I'll get flamed for that!!)

NEVER chainsaw when you are out-numbered...

Get good with the sniper too. There are some awsome snipers out there. (not me tho' sad.gif )

Also use your active reloads. They are invaluable.

The locust pistol is a good alternative to the shot gun. Just as powerfull at close range, but it is slow.

And if all else fails......... RUN AWAY !!!!!

Forgot to mention the most important part of multiplayer is COMMUNICATION.

I have been on some teams with some really good players who don't communicate and just run off and do thier own thing. sure they get the most points but the team score suffers.

If you want to be good, get talking.

work as a team to flank enemies and to cover each other, and don't be afriad to sacrifice yourself for the team effort.

If anyone wants to hit me up my gamertag is the same as my username.  Malbowsier

just send me a friend request and I'll see you on SERA!!!!