xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Xi  (Read 972 times)

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
Final Fantasy Xi
« on: April 19, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »

Just picked up FFXI, so I figured I'd point out a few key things about it so far.

Right off the bat, FFXI = $50, you must have XBOX Live to even use it. Also not only do you use XBOX Live, you also use "PlayOnline" (another Live service). The 1st 30 days of PlayOnline is free. After that it's around $8-12 a month (it estimated $4 and some change for 13 days prorated). Yes, that's right, XBOX Live ($8) + PlayOnline ($8-12) are needed just to play the game. I'm not very happy about this BTW. I'm not a PC gamer, so it's not like I'd have known, also I never saw anything about using another online service in any previews. Not very cool, I don't know how long I'll play it, but what if I play it to death for 2 months and don't feel like playing for a while, I'm not paying $8-12 a month for a service I won't use. The game retails for $50, so I think a deal should have been cut with Live or something so that we as the end user don't bare the cost. Live could've just gave them an extra $10 per copy and then sold it for $60 or something. Sorry I just see that as a lot of money. Just to play FFXI for 6 months would be $50+$10x5=$100 (game+service at 5 months, remember 1 month free).

Also, the disc has been in my drive for 3 hours now, yet I'm still not playing it...

When you start the disc, it first makes you install/setup PlayOnline. That took 45 minutes and most of it was typing in all the info, like setting up a Live account. That onscreen keyboard is really screwy, I highly recommend using a keyboard. I would have used mine, but I'm too lazy and figured "oh, it's only going to take one more second". I imagine it could be cut down to 15-20 minutes w/keyboard.

After you install PlayOnline it then appeared that I was going to play... Nope, then it shows a very, very, very nice intro scene. After that you have to register the game and each update, which again is a pain in the ass due to the onscreen keyboard.

Now I started FFXI and though I was going to play it... Nope, now it logged in and has to install updates. Yeah, I was like "cool, updates are quick". Nope, another hour.

OMG, it's almost done. I'll post some more back about the actuall game after I play it for a little while. Just wanted to get that info out there though. Especially the pay to play.

OMFG, OMFG, OMFG, service does not start until April 19th and it is April 19th. It just says "you cannot play Final Fantasy XI"  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WTF would they release a game and you not be able to play it. Online only game and the service isn't ready.  Why, why  uhh.gif  sad.gif  grr.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Final Fantasy Xi
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 07:28:00 PM »

it's unfortunate that you're finding this out now, but it's been fairly common knowledge for a while now, and if you were unfamiliar with the PC version there was a free beta released months ago. Browsing this forum would have turned up oodles of threads with people frustrated with the 4 hour install process.

Though, to be clear you DON'T need Live Gold just Silver (which is free). The reason you pay PlayOnline is because the game is using their servers as opposed to the Xbox Live servers. The benefit here is that you can play along side the PC and PS2 gamers who have the game (instead of just Xbox 360 players). When you sign up for Xbox Live Gold they even tell you that it doesn't cover the cost of MMO games.

Also today is the 19th so....

Master X

• Archived User
Final Fantasy Xi
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 07:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(cerealkillajme @ Apr 19 2006, 06:23 PM) View Post

Just picked up FFXI, so I figured I'd point out a few key things about it so far.

Right off the bat, FFXI = $50, you must have XBOX Live to even use it. Also not only do you use XBOX Live, you also use "PlayOnline" (another Live service). The 1st 30 days of PlayOnline is free. After that it's around $8-12 a month (it estimated $4 and some change for 13 days prorated). Yes, that's right, XBOX Live ($8) + PlayOnline ($8-12) are needed just to play the game. I'm not very happy about this BTW. I'm not a PC gamer, so it's not like I'd have known, also I never saw anything about using another online service in any previews. Not very cool, I don't know how long I'll play it, but what if I play it to death for 2 months and don't feel like playing for a while, I'm not paying $8-12 a month for a service I won't use. The game retails for $50, so I think a deal should have been cut with Live or something so that we as the end user don't bare the cost. Live could've just gave them an extra $10 per copy and then sold it for $60 or something. Sorry I just see that as a lot of money. Just to play FFXI for 6 months would be $50+$10x5=$100 (game+service at 5 months, remember 1 month free).

Also, the disc has been in my drive for 3 hours now, yet I'm still not playing it...

When you start the disc, it first makes you install/setup PlayOnline. That took 45 minutes and most of it was typing in all the info, like setting up a Live account. That onscreen keyboard is really screwy, I highly recommend using a keyboard. I would have used mine, but I'm too lazy and figured "oh, it's only going to take one more second". I imagine it could be cut down to 15-20 minutes w/keyboard.

After you install PlayOnline it then appeared that I was going to play... Nope, then it shows a very, very, very nice intro scene. After that you have to register the game and each update, which again is a pain in the ass due to the onscreen keyboard.

Now I started FFXI and though I was going to play it... Nope, now it logged in and has to install updates. Yeah, I was like "cool, updates are quick". Nope, another hour.

OMG, it's almost done. I'll post some more back about the actuall game after I play it for a little while. Just wanted to get that info out there though. Especially the pay to play.

OMFG, OMFG, OMFG, service does not start until April 19th and it is April 19th. It just says "you cannot play Final Fantasy XI"  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WTF would they release a game and you not be able to play it. Online only game and the service isn't ready.  Why, why  uhh.gif  sad.gif  grr.gif

Yeah, I got the BETA disk with an OXM magazine. Let me know if the graphics are improved or if the text size is any bigger.

89c4l98

• Archived User
Final Fantasy Xi
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »

Nope will never buy this game.... hope everyone boycotts this game so no other game will do this... :angry

xbox live should be the only purchase.. not some 3rd party live service....

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
Final Fantasy Xi
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »

i thought the HD test was sized up during one of the beta updates?

anyways, fun game for a few weeks, then it comes down to one word... repetitive.

this game, is hands down about leveling up.. thats it.

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
Final Fantasy Xi
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 08:34:00 PM »

So frustrated... XBOX Live says "not our service", PlayOnline says, oh that's right, PlayOnline's customer support hours are M-F 9am-6pm.  grr.gif  And no support forums, only support PM's, which is pointless if they're closed. There isn't even anything on their site or any forums, only "search q&a" which provided not one result for "360" or "xbox".

Also, I checked out the manual and it's $12.95 a month and for each addon (3 included), it's $1 per month. And there are up to 16 total addons.

While I was finishing posting: I logged back out and then logged back in, which I've done 2x already. When I logged back in, it said that it was open instead of saying open on the 19th. Thank god, I was beginning to think I wasn't going to even get to play it tonight.

Heet

• Archived User
Final Fantasy Xi
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 09:06:00 PM »

Looks like the game here is about trying to play the damn game.  I wouldnt play that shit if someone gave it to me LOL.

Master X

• Archived User
Final Fantasy Xi
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 09:23:00 PM »

Wow there are no achievements for the game too.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Final Fantasy Xi
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 09:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(Master X @ Apr 19 2006, 11:30 PM) View Post

Wow there are no achievements for the game too.

yeah MS pretty much let SE break all the rules to get the game on the 360.

-Keyboard as a control device
-PlayOnline Servers/accounts instead of XBL Servers/accounts
-Installs to HDD
-No Achievements

^ all of those are things that AFAIK MOST developers arn't allowed to do.

Master X

• Archived User
Final Fantasy Xi
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 09:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Apr 19 2006, 08:44 PM) View Post

yeah MS pretty much let SE break all the rules to get the game on the 360.

-Keyboard as a control device
-PlayOnline Servers/accounts instead of XBL Servers/accounts
-Installs to HDD
-No Achievements

^ all of those are things that AFAIK MOST developers arn't allowed to do.

ditto. I tried playing the BETA version with a controller and it was horrible. The biggest problem I faced was the text though, very hard to read.....

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Final Fantasy Xi
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 09:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(Master X @ Apr 19 2006, 11:47 PM) View Post

ditto. I tried playing the BETA version with a controller and it was horrible. The biggest problem I faced was the text though, very hard to read.....

Oh I agree completely. I was using a PROJECTOR and I still couldn't read the friggin text  dry.gif
I don't know how PS2 gamers play this stuff, I can see PC gamers but I can't imagine Text is easy to read on a crappy 480i TV when I can't see jack on a HD projector. Hopefull the retail version fixes this, or at least provides some options.

Overall I couldn't get into it, MMOs just aren't my thing. Glad I got the beta disc though, it was a learning experience for sure.

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
Final Fantasy Xi
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 10:03:00 PM »

Yeah, I was waiting to post and trying to find if anybody else was having this too... But yeah, I'm getting the content ID error now. I got it less than 5 minutes after I said I could log in. I would almost bet that if I buy another then it will work, but yeah, I'm not doing that. This is truly sad, an online only game doesn't even work on the first day it's released. I will never buy another FF game, EVER

I will say though, that opening screen was beautiful. The game does look like it could be good... But if you haven't already bought it, I suggest that you wait unitl this crap is fixed at least. Even when it is fixed, for somebody who hasn't used the beta it should take them 3 hours total before even playing.

I was also a little off on the pricing. Each additional character you create will be another $1. It says that the addons are not charged monthly, but the prorated screen said like 41 cents for that 12-13 days prorated (I had only registered game and one addon at that moment.

Same here, smoking some hash to calm down and then going back to Oblivion. Nuff headache for one night.

metaldevil

• Archived User
Final Fantasy Xi
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 10:35:00 PM »

It's too bad that you were first exposed to this game/chore when you purchased it. I tried to get into the free beta back in February, but it was such a chore to do anything in that game that I couldn't ever justify purchasing it no matter how much I love the FF series (except 8, 10, and X-2). I doubt they fixed it in the retail version, but if you want to talk to another gamer that you meet in your travels, you'll have to invite him/her to a private chat. You can't audibly chat with anyone unless you invite them to a private chat.

However, you can chat with anyone with a keyboard, but I refuse to move my keyboard back and forth from my TV room to my computer room, and I'm steadfast about not purchasing a keyboard for my 360. I'm a firm believer that console games are meant to be played with a controller not a keyboard. I play PC games but not many because sitting upright in front of a screen typing away the days can't compete with laying on the couch with my feet up on the coffee table with a controller in-hand and a beer within reach.

Unfortunately, a keyboard isn't a luxury for this game; it's a necessity.

This game was a bad port. IMO, it should have only been released for PC. This game isn't really meant to entertain on 360, but rather it's Square getting their foot in MS's proverbial door.

@Master X:
As far as those achievements go, think of it this way: all of us that tried the beta have all the same achievements that the guys who purchased it ever will. laugh.gif

QUOTE(cerealkillajme @ Apr 20 2006, 12:10 AM) View Post
I will never buy another FF game, EVER
Never say die, man. You shouldn't let this experience sour your like of FF.

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
Final Fantasy Xi
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 11:20:00 PM »

Hope I'm not speaking too soon again, but I'm past that and creating a character now.

EDIT: I'm actually playing now.  biggrin.gif

trueblue450

• Archived User
Final Fantasy Xi
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 09:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(cerealkillajme @ Apr 20 2006, 06:27 AM) View Post

Hope I'm not speaking too soon again, but I'm past that and creating a character now.

EDIT: I'm actually playing now.  biggrin.gif

what did you do.. i bought another character and still having a prob.. but its a new day so im going to see if it works...

it is 420 so i better be high as shit and playing ff before the day is over..
Pages: [1] 2