xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Command M Conquer 3 For 360? Rumour?  (Read 1000 times)

lostboyz

• Archived User
Command M Conquer 3 For 360? Rumour?
« on: June 20, 2006, 04:38:00 PM »

RTS without mouse and keyboard is pointless in my mind

j666*

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 04:43:00 PM »

am sure its upto the developer if a mouse can be used ?maybe wrong  though

mikedavis2838

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 06:19:00 PM »

http://previews.team...dleEarth-II/p1/

Well for the lord of the rings they are testing a new interface for use with the 360 controller.

"The control scheme focuses on a cross shaped reticule that remains in the center of the screen. The left stick will move the camera about the environment, while the right stick controls zoom. The key is that the reticule is context sensitive, meaning that as it highlights a certain object, the commands inherent to it will only be accessible. Highlighting an army for example would bring up move commands, attack orders, etc. The A button is used as the selection tool to select individual units, or you can simply hold down the button and highlight multiple units in a selection set. The right trigger acts as the action menu once objects are selected, in order to carry out commands. The left trigger acts as a “select all” of sorts. The right bumper button can be used to sort units by type and the left bumper is used to add/subtract individual units from the selection set. The X button jumps the camera back to a selected unit if you’ve moved about the map, and the Y button is used to activate a number of hotkey functions. Despite having only a few minutes in-hand, the control scheme was surprisingly easy to work. The real test will be seeing if this holds true throughout the long haul. "

So i doubt mouse and keyboard support.

1up put this quote up from steve glicker "I know for a fact that they're doing this because these are the same guys, same team doing Command & Conquer 3. And they're definitely going to release it for the 360."

http://1up.com/do/ne...ory?cId=3151610

Kraptreon

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 10:39:00 PM »

It just wouldn't work but i bet the Wiimote would work ok

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 06:23:00 AM »

Wow, I can't wait for some RTS's on the 360. LOTH looks really good and I like that idea of how the control will be. Even better to hear C&C might be on the 360. That would make sense if they are making LOTH and C&C for them to put them on the 360 (or both platforms).

Good news, good news.

krims0n

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 07:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(lostboyz @ Jun 20 2006, 05:45 PM) View Post

RTS without mouse and keyboard is pointless in my mind

Yeah. I'm sure people thought the same about major FPS's being developed for a console.

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 08:08:00 AM »

no mainly because playing most RTS games you have about 20 hot keys it dosent really make sense. All your going to do is dumb it down.

mathias

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 08:58:00 AM »

but even a dumbed down version might work....and labeling groups might be easy highlight a group and hit a shoulder button to # them or something....

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 10:23:00 AM »

RTSs have been clumsy on consoles in the past, not dumbed down just difficult to play.

I loved the old C&C games on the PC... (the first one and Tiberian Sun were awesome). Over Xbox Live it could be really fun.

Though we might not have mouse support with MAY get keyboard support (like in FFXI) which would be cool.

I'll hold my controller comments until I get a demo or a rental in my hands to actually play.

krims0n

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 11:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(lostboyz @ Jun 21 2006, 09:15 AM) View Post

no mainly because playing most RTS games you have about 20 hot keys it dosent really make sense. All your going to do is dumb it down.

I think the point still remains. If you've never used a gamepad to play a FPS then using two little analog sticks seems ridiculous. If you're used to switching between 11 weapons at the touch of a button a la Unreal Tournament, then scrolling through a menu to pick your weapon is ridiculous. The first attempts at a FPS on consoles were far from perfect, but from there you see evolution in the way the controls work, and now we are seeing console exclusive FPS games being produced. Some attempts to get an RTS to work on a console may not be perfect, but at least it may help pave the way for something that works. You can't exactly complain about a new genre of game becoming available to the console gaming world.

tNCecil

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 05:36:00 AM »

I dont see why it couldnt work. I loved Command and Conquer back on the PS1, playing linked games in my dining room was the shit back then heh. Im sure it can be pulled off

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 07:01:00 AM »

To a point I agree it can be done and most likely will, but sometimes its good to dumb things down a bit, it really creates two different genres that separate PCs and Consoles. If you remember the original rainbow six on PC it had at least 15 usuable buttons in play not counting your movement and firing, just to control your 4 other teams. And it made a nice transition to xbox but it is by no means the scope it was on PC, but definately a lot of fun. I just think I cant see the transition RTS can make to console to make it just as fun on PC. But Im excited to see

decapkris

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 07:29:00 AM »

I wish they would allow support for keyboard and mouse. I mean how hard can it be? To solve unbalanced issues in multiplayer they could make it that only controller players can play against other controller players and vice versa.

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 12:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(decapkris @ Jun 22 2006, 09:36 AM) View Post

I wish they would allow support for keyboard and mouse. I mean how hard can it be? To solve unbalanced issues in multiplayer they could make it that only controller players can play against other controller players and vice versa.

That cuts the player base, though, right?  So... there are less people to play against=longer wait times for games.

As to RTS games on consoles, I think they can be VERY good.  I remember Command and Conquer on N64.  I LOVED that game and had a BLAST playing it, even though it was single player.  I think they had the N64 pad configured VERY well for the game, and I can see the 360 pad being the same.

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 12:27:00 PM »

as twisted said, i could see the keyboard being used as in FFXI.  mouse support though, don't see it ever happening.
Pages: [1] 2