xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cod2 D-day Help  (Read 347 times)

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Cod2 D-day Help
« on: March 09, 2006, 01:53:00 PM »

So I've been playing through COD2, my first play though I decided to do on the Veteran difficulty. It's been really challenging and fun, and I've spent a lot of time just on getting through a few areas.

I've finished all the Russian and British missions and all I have left is the American missions But yesterday I spent about an hour and a half trying to figure out where to go on the first D-Day level...

In the past the game's been pretty straight forward, I had a general idea where I should be going next but here I just have no clue what-so ever.

Reading the game faq guides are confusing as heck, their descriptions are hard to follow and the two that are there seem like they're describing completely different paths. Not to mention they're written for the PC on who knows what difficulty so I'm not really sure if they're describing the best way to go, or even a way to go that's available to me.

Maybe if I played through this on an easier level I could get an idea of how to get through this level but I'd rather not do that.

Basically I get off the boat, climb the hill and I can make it to the end of the trenches/bunkers in any direction but get mowed down instantly no matter where I go past that, and I can't determine where I should be putting my efforts because I never get a good enough view past any of those areas either.

I know a lot of you have completed this game, any help would be appreciated.

Deftech

• Archived User
Cod2 D-day Help
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »

youll come to end of a trench and 2 or 3 of your guys will also be in there and tell you to throw smoke for cover. This is right near a big gun where several guys are shooting at you from above while youre in the trench,

survey the area and toss smoke in the direction of the bigger guns. If youre facing your objective on the compass, I believe its a smoke to the left and one to the right, on veteran it was a pain in the ass. Once you get to your first bunker, itll show reached checkpoint and its a breeze after that and you head to a village.

By the way when I tossed smoke, I joined 2 guys in a mortar hole and used it as cover to toss another smoke.

I never tried another path so be open to other ideas.

I did it the same way on both Hardened and Veteran

Good luck.

Oh and when you get the sniper rifle, hold onto it. I think it only has 5 rounds when you start on the beach. Comb the beach and youll find many more rounds for it, it helped me out a LOT.

In hardened I dropped it before I made the climb. On Veteran I accidentally hung onto it and was running around on the beach and came upon some more ammo.

boxrocker

• Archived User
Cod2 D-day Help
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »

After climbing the hill, keep left in the trenches.  Use a machine gun to mow down the krauts in the trenches.  Use a smoke grenade on the turret when you get to it.  Once you are in that one, it's a tad easier.  You can also use your sniper rifle to take out that huge anti-aircraft gun on the right to help out.

griffin XXI

• Archived User
Cod2 D-day Help
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 02:08:00 PM »

clear out the trenches to the left (5-6 germans)go back to the middle, where there's an intersection of the trenches (left, forward,right). Use sniper rifle to kill the German gunners shooting that huge gun forward right. move down the middle trench going forward. it stops and goes immediatley left, stay crouched, kill the germans (5-6) just on the other side of the trench. move until GI's meet with you. they climb and move forward. Theres an mg42 forward left about 100 yards, killing him wont matter, he's replaced quickly. peek over trench, straight ahead about 100yards theres a huge concrete bunker with a gunner behind sandbags on top of it. snipe him. storm above the trench and lay down in the concrete area where you killed the germans, throw a smoker in front of you towards the MG and one towards the concrete bunker, this shields you and allows you to move center left to a huge crater, toss another smoker if you need to. charge the MG under cover of smoke and get in the trench, beware as you move along the trench, 15-20 germans will come at you, kill em all. they're coming from the bunker, keep moving forward in the trench, it leads to the bunker. clear it out, beware germans, come up stairs (4-5) you just made it through the hardest part, move to the front of the bunker couched, move towards the trench system in the middle, clear out germans, and then move to meet the GIs in the back in front of the village. good luck.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Cod2 D-day Help
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 02:13:00 PM »

cool thanks for the advice beerchug.gif I was going about this all wrong  laugh.gif

Rubix42

• Archived User
Cod2 D-day Help
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 02:35:00 PM »

My path is different, and gave me very little trouble.

From the top of the cliff run forward into the trench.

Once in the trench, turn right and follow the trench to the end.  You'll see an american get wasted every time you play this part (at least I did)

At the end of the trench take out between 2 and 5 germans, and move forward and down into the bunker.  

Work your way through the bunker, and when leaving, toss a smoke grenade out and a little to the left.  Make a break for the rally point.  About halfway there, you wil drop in a trench, have your machine gun ready and lay waste to those germans.

Then work your way through town.

Good Luck!

Reaper527

• Archived User
Cod2 D-day Help
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 02:38:00 PM »

yeah, i'm playing through COD2 my first time though on veteran also. wait until you get to the silo (the last d-day mission), the level starts off real easy, just clear out some buildings, you can walk right through it, but then at the end you have to get on top of this tower and snipe mortar teams, that part of the level took me forever.

(also, your not done with the british missions if your on d-day, after d-day you'll  do the battle of caen missions, this is the end of the british campaign)

griffin XXI

• Archived User
Cod2 D-day Help
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 02:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rubix42 @ Mar 9 2006, 03:42 PM) View Post

My path is different, and gave me very little trouble.

From the top of the cliff run forward into the trench.

Once in the trench, turn right and follow the trench to the end.  You'll see an american get wasted every time you play this part (at least I did)

At the end of the trench take out between 2 and 5 germans, and move forward and down into the bunker.  

Work your way through the bunker, and when leaving, toss a smoke grenade out and a little to the left.  Make a break for the rally point.  About halfway there, you wil drop in a trench, have your machine gun ready and lay waste to those germans.

Then work your way through town.

Good Luck!

shit man, i tried that same route 50x, and could not get clear of the bunker without getting wasted, i tried smoke in all different directions, no avail. thats what i love about this game, different strokes for different folks.

Rubix42

• Archived User
Cod2 D-day Help
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 03:24:00 PM »

I'm with you, I passed this level in about 10 deaths or so.  

I forgot to mention, keep your sniper, and just use a machine gun to clear the bunker.  When you throw the smoke, use your sniper to take out the guys on the left side trench.

And just to add my silo experience.  The sniping was the easiest part of the mission for me, but I died about 30 times trying to clear all the buildings.

Reaper527

• Archived User
Cod2 D-day Help
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 03:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rubix42 @ Mar 9 2006, 05:31 PM) View Post

And just to add my silo experience.  The sniping was the easiest part of the mission for me, but I died about 30 times trying to clear all the buildings.

i guess its all up to a persons style of play then. i personally am just terrible with sniper rifles, i avoid them as much as possible. i am much better at peaking around a corner with an automatic/semi automatic weapon and tossing a grenade and then taking out whoevers left of the 3 or 4 people in the room.

quick tip, this game has great grenade bouncing action, you can bounce grenades off the  interior walls and right into a group of hiding enemies in buildings.

Deftech

• Archived User
Cod2 D-day Help
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 03:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rubix42 @ Mar 9 2006, 05:31 PM) View Post

agreed, those 6 buildings took me forever. 4 smoke nades isnt enough! lol

Caen was the hardest by far, those 4 missions within that campaign were brutal on my ego. That damn church was easy on hardened, but for some reason on veteran, I was just useless.

Im not looking forward to defending Hill 400 and Crossing The Rhine, but thanks to Recon I can put it on hold for a while. CoD 2 was giving me ulcers. I went thru it on Hardened and immediately after that, started on Vet  ph34r.gif

Some guy at EB is on his 6th time thru Veteran, what a nut!  laugh.gif

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Cod2 D-day Help
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 09:38:00 AM »

Thanks for all your help.. once I figured how to get out of the trenches at the start I breezed through D-day right up until the silo mission...  I died about 10 times just trying to clear first building and just went to bed...

Also I already finished the battle of Caen. When I finished the Tank Squadron it took me to D-Day and thought I'd accidentally skipped ahead so I left and and went and did battle for Caen first  laugh.gif

I'm much better at sniping then I am at close counters run and gun. I'm not too good at FPSs in general so running and making quick close critical shots is not easy for me, Sniping gives me an opertunity to line up my shot. I managed to get through Tiger by mostly luring the germans up to doors and windows and sniping them with the Lee-Enfield or Kar98k

The MP44 and Scoped Kar98k is probably my favorite gun combo to carry around when they're availble.

Oh, and deftech your tip for combing the beach for sniper rounds before climbing the hill was GENIUS it made all the difference...

Reaper527

• Archived User
Cod2 D-day Help
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 09:47:00 AM »

finished off the game last night smile.gif the end of the 2nd hill 400 level and the whole 3rd level gave me a pretty hard time, to make my lack of sniping abilities worse, there was an earthquake every time i lined up a shot lol. this was such an amazing game. if you need any tips on specific levels i can toss out anything i remember (when you get to hill 400 where you are climbing up the hill, in the first bunker there is a sniper rifle behind a door you can blow up, its easy to miss, but makes the rest of the level very easy until the last bunker)

Deftech

• Archived User
Cod2 D-day Help
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 11:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Mar 10 2006, 11:45 AM) View Post

Oh, and deftech your tip for combing the beach for sniper rounds before climbing the hill was GENIUS it made all the difference...

It would be genius if I *intended* to do that from the beginning, lol. I was pleasantly surprised to switch to it and see all the ammo I had for it. Sounds like you and I have the same play style for this game.

Glad the rifle helped, it kept me sane, thats for sure.  smile.gif

deacon187

• Archived User
Cod2 D-day Help
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 12:25:00 PM »

after a bunch of tries taking out all the guys first and failing, i just used plenty of smoke and hauled ass up the middle to the checkpoint indicator, but then after clearing up the next few tasks and having to go back to to this area for the clear the bunkers task i almost shit my pants as i thought all the guys i didnt kill the first time after climbing hill would still be there and thought for sure id never make it, but they werent there anymore  biggrin.gif , wish i did that the first time around on normal
Pages: [1] 2