xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Will System Link Be More Standard?  (Read 477 times)

Infinite_Matrix

• Archived User
Will System Link Be More Standard?
« on: May 30, 2005, 08:00:00 PM »

I have a guess taht all games will support it, but Xbox Live will proboly be the best part for the X360

If ya dont have it, get it.

PS: You can play online with mods if you know how to do it right wink.gif

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 08:05:00 PM »

Umm, a lot of games use system link. All the top games do. All the popular series like Splinter, Recons, PGR's, Rallisports, Halos. I could go on and on but you get the point. Hell they even went out of their way to make Doom III special for xbox and made it sys link coop.

I hold Lan parties quite often and we have so many system link games we dont know which to play.

maybe your thinking just 2 player coop isnt supported enough? I dont know..but system link in general is supported a lot better than I thought it would be.

If there were too many system link games, it would mean developers were getting away from good single player games, and then everyone would be whining about that aspect.

Zamees

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 06:31:00 AM »

I actually spoke with a developer at E3, and this topic came up. My personal view is that no one really uses system link, when they can just jump on live at any time, and have the same features as system link. Sure its fun to have friends over every so often and setup a big house game, but thats a rare event. More likely to just jump on live and play with these people. But, what he did say, is that they take the time out to add in system link, the reason being, they don't want any bad reviews about their game based that its lacking system link. He agreed that it seemed to be a waste of time to code it in there, but the benefits of having a good review of the game is what mattered. This was an ubisoft developer, and I can't remember if it was Americas Army, or Ghost Recon 3 we were speaking about.

flashfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 09:09:00 AM »

Yeah, i realise that a lot of games do support system link, but it seems to be not as many the ones that i want to be, or just the ones that my friends wanna play, each is very picky which sucks.

i agree it'd be easier to jump on live, but system link nights are great fun, mainly cos ur friends are right there to yell at.

i hope its closer than before to being next to live. it'd just be good.

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 10:32:00 AM »

Zamees is here, the king of GamerTagPics  tongue.gif hey did I win this months drawings?! (LOSspoonman)

But anyways...

if system link ever gets canned in all games, Im done with gaming. I primarily enjoy Lan parties with 4 or 5 other friends that are hardcore Lan freaks. We all migrated to xbox from PC, and again we held pc lan parties all the time.

we are getting out of hand now as some of them have DLP projectors, so most of us have projectors running, its a trip to see all my walls:D And even more are getting projectors just for 360  ph34r.gif

Id consider going back to pc gaming just for Lan parties. Live gets boring, and coordinating games with friends gets old, and I simply will not join a public server with all the 12 year olds cussing and what not.

As long as Recons, and coop splinter cells, and Unreals and PGR's and Rallisports offer System Link, I'll be smiling.

Zamees

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 11:13:00 AM »

Must be nice to have friends who kick ass at Xbox...  A LAN gaming event for me would be me pounding everyone. No fun. For me, the competition is all on live, well, i guess i get destroyed, so not much compeition there, but a more even playing field.

Thanx for the welcome deftech

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 11:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(Zamees @ May 31 2005, 03:24 PM)
Must be nice to have friends who kick ass at Xbox...  A LAN gaming event for me would be me pounding everyone. No fun. For me, the competition is all on live, well, i guess i get destroyed, so not much compeition there, but a more even playing field.

Mr_Shiver

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 02:21:00 PM »

The only thing that concerns me about the 360 system link setup is how will the wireless controllers hold up? One of the big things about the original xbox was the lan parties or as I should call them Halo parties. Several big professional leagues host big Halo tournamnets, just how many wireless controllers can you get without having performance issues? I hope system link holds up for the 360.

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 03:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mr_Shiver @ May 31 2005, 06:32 PM)
The only thing that concerns me about the 360 system link setup is how will the wireless controllers hold up? One of the big things about the original xbox was the lan parties or as I should call them Halo parties. Several big professional leagues host big Halo tournamnets, just how many wireless controllers can you get without having performance issues? I hope system link holds up for the 360.

Zamees

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 07:37:00 PM »

Hehe, you could so mess with your buddies if it were less than 200 channels. He'd be flippin out that his guy wasn't doing what he requested.

flashfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 02:57:00 AM »

Yeah i was worried about that too, but they wouldn't be stupid to leave it alone, they're making it work.

One thing that sucks about system link is my friends (actually the main things):
Chris: would play whatever we were playing, but then only splinter cell and now apparently he doesn't wanna have any lan nights any more, which is crap.
Tom: my good mate, he never wants to play any racing games though. hes pretty good cos he likes variety but i'd love to play some racing games, i don't think we ever have.
Millsy: Neighbour, he plays anything with us so thats cool.

And there are various other friends but most wanna do what chris is doing cos hes 'cool'.

I need new friends tongue.gif or live, or a better connection to use xbconnect. heh heh

cromat44

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 05:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(Zamees @ May 31 2005, 05:42 AM)
I actually spoke with a developer at E3, and this topic came up. My personal view is that no one really uses system link, when they can just jump on live at any time, and have the same features as system link. Sure its fun to have friends over every so often and setup a big house game, but thats a rare event. More likely to just jump on live and play with these people. But, what he did say, is that they take the time out to add in system link, the reason being, they don't want any bad reviews about their game based that its lacking system link. He agreed that it seemed to be a waste of time to code it in there, but the benefits of having a good review of the game is what mattered. This was an ubisoft developer, and I can't remember if it was Americas Army, or Ghost Recon 3 we were speaking about.

esc1

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 08:27:00 PM »

I really hope they have syslink.  Its one of the best things about the current Xbox.