xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap  (Read 485 times)

K1LLZ0N3

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« on: April 22, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »

Can a swap for ANY of these chips be done? biggrin.gif

caster420

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(K1LLZ0N3 @ Apr 22 2008, 02:25 PM) *
Can a swap for ANY of these chips be done? biggrin.gif

CPU + GPU can't be swapped if i remember correctly.  The CPU for sure, unless you want to desolder and resolder the NAND along with it. As for ram, i dont know for certain but i'm sure you can.

Caster.

linkinworm

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 03:04:00 PM »

why would you want to swap the cpu its good enough, and wouldnt you have to rewrite the dashboard and games to use the extra ram? or wouldnt it just use all the ram untill it ran out, then just become too slow anyway?

CrArC

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »

I wasn't aware ANY of the above was possible (except perhaps the RAM). Why would you want to do it? No games will be coded to take advantage of the extra memory or processor speed; same as on the original Xbox. When that was beefed up with extra mem, nothing changed. When the CPU was switched with one twice as fast, some games skipped horribly, some games had odd timing issues, some literally ran twice as fast (lazily written, eh?).

Is this for linux-related use?

scuba156

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(linkinworm @ Apr 25 2008, 08:04 AM) View Post

why would you want to swap the cpu its good enough, and wouldnt you have to rewrite the dashboard and games to use the extra ram? or wouldnt it just use all the ram untill it ran out, then just become too slow anyway?

QUOTE(CrArC @ Jul 18 2008, 10:48 AM) View Post

I wasn't aware ANY of the above was possible (except perhaps the RAM). Why would you want to do it? No games will be coded to take advantage of the extra memory or processor speed; same as on the original Xbox. When that was beefed up with extra mem, nothing changed. When the CPU was switched with one twice as fast, some games skipped horribly, some games had odd timing issues, some literally ran twice as fast (lazily written, eh?).

Is this for linux-related use?

most likely reason would be to repair a console.

RAM can be swapped, as well as the GPU. the CPU and nand are linked together with CPU key so if you swap one of them, you have to swap the other. anything else on the motherboard can be swapped (may need confirmation on the southbridge but im 95% sure you can)

swapping a BGA chip is not easy work, and would not suggest it unless you have re balled BGA chips before

HackerSupreme

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »

You can swap southbridges without problems, same with ANA.

Hoopdy

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 02:21:00 AM »

Where's the ram located?

.ISO

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 12:43:00 AM »

You seriously can't identify them?

(IMG:http://media.bestofmicro.com/Xbox-360-RAM,B-G-153340-1.jpg)
(IMG:http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/1614/mod3602ai7.jpg)

This post has been edited by .ISO: Jun 18 2009, 07:44 AM

huskerman99

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 04:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(.ISO @ Jun 17 2009, 08:43 PM) View Post

You seriously can't identify them?

IPB Image
IPB Image

FYI the above... the rams are the black ones. Also, to those who think reballing is hard... so was throwing a baseball...the first time. Practice makes perfect. Don't give up!   .6mm on these puppies for ball size (the same as a detroit lions fan) just kidding, but the more you practice on that wasted board the easier it gets, actually easier to use solder rather than solder balls. Tutorial coming sometime soon... I hope.

Chromauk

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »

Ive successfully swapped out a cpu and nand pair from a rrod board to a now unbanned box for a friend.

It took HOURS!

Reballing is like the 9th layer of hell, seriously, sat at a workbench with tin-silver solder and 0.2mm tip with a magnified setup for what felt like days to reball the cpu.

It should be noted that if you swap out the cpu and nand you ned to either swap drives or reflash with the appropriate drivekey

If i was ever to do this on a regular basis (im not nearly massochistic enough) i would certanly make myself up a template for the reballing procedure, its the only sane way i can imagine for doing repeats.

So yes its possable, just a serious ammount of work involved and a lot of engenuity required to seat the "new" processor accurately.

I dont however know if its possable with different board revisions, we lucked out in that we had plenty of spare units (with a variety of faults) to choose from.

jeffrey92

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »

does it really take longer than a few hours? What type of reball were you doing and with what equipment?

Uloga

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »

You can replace it, but then you'll need a reflow station (€800), which is 4 xbox's

jeffrey92

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(Uloga @ Nov 20 2009, 10:15 AM) View Post

You can replace it, but then you'll need a reflow station (€800), which is 4 xbox's

ive heard of people doing successful reballs with an aoyue 968 which would only cost about $300 for the system and the required materials and nozzles

Uloga

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 03:59:00 AM »

wow, that aoyue costs only €120 smile.gif

link: http://www.eleshop.n...ation-p-65.html

rrg

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »

OK so am I s.o.l. with this memory chip that I bumped off after I hit the tall heatsink I had on it while looking for the jtag points.

The chip broke clean off except the 3 solder balls that are stuck on the chip. (you can click to zoom in).
Does this mean the solder pads are lifted on these 3??

What are my options and at what reasonable price or DIY??
This was my xenon, dash 75xx. I hate life right now.

If this is really dead, I might just get some 0.45mm solder balls from ebay, stick some paste on and heat them up one last time.

Please advise.
Thx.

This post has been edited by rrg: Dec 20 2009, 02:24 AM
Pages: [1] 2