xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Successfully Flashed 120gb Oem Drive, But My Orig M$ 20gb Isn'  (Read 145 times)

AG Wolf

• Archived User
Successfully Flashed 120gb Oem Drive, But My Orig M$ 20gb Isn'
« on: September 21, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »

just like the post says, Im stuck with a 120gb drive I bought from newegg, which does work, and I managed to get 3 partitions on it and play Xbox1 originals and all my XBLA games are there, etc...  and a 20gb M$ drive which is not seen by my 360, but still has files on it.

This is the series of events I did

1) dumped 20gb hddss.bin

2) flashed 120gb w/ 20gb hddss.bin

2a) crap, now it only reads as 13.9gb free

3) flashed 120gb w/ 120gb hddss.bin

3a) 360 sees 107mb free

4) check M$ 20gb for something real quick, 360 says no device attached... sad D:

4a) check 20gb M$ drive in Xplorer360 and files/partitions are still visible

5) used this guide for getting my old data on the 120gb

5a) woot, working 120gb for 60 bucks, celebration

6) lament over loss of 20gb functionality ;_;

I know I BROWSED the 20gb M$ drive with Xplorer360, cancelled an image backup part of the way through, and also browsed the drive with WinHex and Hex Workshop.... I didnt try to do anything else with Xplorer, but I was using "Xplorer360_temp1.exe" and not the regular version I guess? Would  that make a difference?

I don't remember editing anything about the drive, let alone SAVING any changes.  I know I could have changed some hex value somewhere but wouldnt either app have asked me if I wanted to save when I went to quit?  I even used ctrl-z to undo anything I did when I was playing around.  The latest version of Xplorer360 still sees all of the data on the drive, and it's perfectly fine too because I copied it over to the 120 drive AFTER I found out my 360 didn't see it anymore.

I'd really like to have my 20gb drive as a fall-back, but I don't know what to do to get it working again... does anyone have any idea what I might have done or what i COULD do to get it up and running again?

EDIT: hey, look at that, the thread title got cut off. wonderful.

This post has been edited by AG Wolf: Sep 21 2008, 08:13 PM

AG Wolf

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »

Also, I have the very first hddss.bin file that hddhackr dumped from my 20gb drive, and it matches the current data on sectors 16-22 of the drive even after the fact that my 360 no longer recognizes it.

SimplexPL

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »

Looks like we have very similar problems:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=662197

although I'm in an even worse situation since I have not yet suceeded in making BEVS xbox-friendly not to mention copy data from the old drive.

AG Wolf

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »

Sounds like Xplorer360 rapes 20gb hard drives....

I still haven't gotten anywhere with my 20gb drive, but I've at least figured out how to mod a 120gb drive.

These were the two guides I used:
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=660096
http://www.xbox360-h...pic.php?id=4572

and my 120 gb works just like a regular drive.  I wish I could help you w/your 20gb drive though :/  Does Xplorer360 at least recognize the partitions and the data on it?

SimplexPL

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »

Yes, all the partitions are still there when I open them in Xplorer360, I made backup on my HDD of all data, I am just waiting for bevs to copy it over.

Actually, I fried two xbox hdds that way - mine and my friend's - exactly some way - connect disk to PC, back up with xplorer360, drive stops working under xbox, yet is still detected by PC and xplorer360
However, I am not even sure if it is fault of Xplorer360 - maybe windows somehow accesses the drive in a way that is messes up with its security sectors - it may also be fault of the SATA controller. For example hddhackr does not flash BEVS properly on my sata controller. But it did work on my friends external VIA SATA controller. I suspect that if I connected the drives using that controller, they wouldn't get fried - but I do not dare to verify this theory.

How did you connect your now-defunct drive to PC? I have intel chipset P35 (Gigabyte P35-DS3) and I used onboard sata ports.

My next question is - since the drive is no longer working under xbox 360 then maybe at least I could use the driver as a regular hard disk - like a pendrive, or a drive in a HTPC box? If yes, what should I do to make it usable?

This post has been edited by SimplexPL: Sep 27 2008, 06:32 PM

Shark_Rules

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »

I have the same problem (with also a p35).

Now my original 120GB HD is not recogniced by the 360 (I used it to read the hddss). Only the PC detects it.

My 120 WD works OK with my original hddss (I am using it in one of my 2 xbox), but my original one is useless (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Do you think that a "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda" (fill the disk with a lot of zero) will fix it? I am thinking about doing a dd "if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda" (binary copy of the working one inside the dead one).

I dont care about loosing data, just want it working.

This post has been edited by Shark_Rules: Oct 10 2008, 08:42 PM

fmservice

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 05:18:00 AM »

I have the same problem but im not flashed 120gb drive.

I decided backup my original 20Gb HDD (Hitachi) because i had almost full and wanted make later small cleanup in xbox , i connected drive to my pc and copied all files using xplorer360 im nothing changed an writed in this hd. When i put back hdd to my console had info no gamertags found also no device found.. Dont know how fix them now :/ Maybe make backup using xplorer and hexedit something in backuped.iso and write backup again ?

Shark_Rules

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 03:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(fmservice @ Oct 15 2008, 01:54 PM) View Post

I have the same problem but im not flashed 120gb drive.

I decided backup my original 20Gb HDD (Hitachi) because i had almost full and wanted make later small cleanup in xbox , i connected drive to my pc and copied all files using xplorer360 im nothing changed an writed in this hd. When i put back hdd to my console had info no gamertags found also no device found.. Dont know how fix them now :/ Maybe make backup using xplorer and hexedit something in backuped.iso and write backup again ?

In other forums people say that xplore360 broke it, but no one know why or how to solve it (or no one say how to solve it).

fmservice

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »

at last maybe possible make this 20gb hdd workable in PC ? or now i can drop this hdd to trash

Shark_Rules

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 02:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(fmservice @ Oct 17 2008, 12:26 AM) View Post

at last maybe possible make this 20gb hdd workable in PC ? or now i can drop this hdd to trash

It will work fine on the PC.

I suggest you at least save your sectors 16 to 22 (both included) or your hddss.bin extracted for this drive for future uses.