xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dumb Xp Question  (Read 181 times)

jimbob3000

• Archived User
Dumb Xp Question
« on: March 23, 2005, 10:58:00 PM »

I know I'm probably going to get flamed saying you can't do this but can you take WinBorg XP v4final(torrent if you want it ), don't install any of the programs just windows. Then modify the bios with a modchip.  Or am I just talking crap.

kind of like what  takezo-dono did
The easiest to get windows up and running on your modded xbox is to use an X86 emulator. Xboch is that emulator, this emulator runs directly from a dashboard such as Evox. It is intended to be a dos emulator, however I have installed Win 98 using Xboch.

Once you get Xboch running. Just put it on the Hard drive just as you would any other home brew app. Just remeber to create a larger drive image (replacing the default d drive image with the larger d drive image (2GB works great) you created is all you need to do.) using the included app (on your PC before you ftp files over). You need to this or you will not have enough space to do it. After that is done. You have to copy all the files in the Win folder of a Win 9x CD and FTP it over. The you must run xboch and select all the files that you just FTPed over. All those files go into the drive image you made earlier. When you are in Xboch's dos pormpt CD to the incoming folder, ensure all the nessasary files have transfered over. Then from there on it is no different than installing Win 9x on a PC.

Make your partitons with Fdisk, format the partitions, run setup. simple huh.

Note that installation takes Forever. But it will finish. There has been cases that settup actualy froze. All you have to do is restart xbox, run xboch. 98 will resume automaticaly.

Once everything up and running. You will have the full version of windows running on your Xbox.

just with really condensed form of windows xp with 128mb of ram upgrade and maybe the cpu upgrade if needed

This post has been edited by jimbob3000: Mar 24 2005, 07:10 AM <

Nubs

• Archived User
Dumb Xp Question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 10:09:00 AM »

I'll start out by saying I HATE WINDOWS, I HATE MS muhaha.gif <--MS THE EVIL CORPORATION.  ohmy.gif Thats right. I said it. What a JOKE MS is jester.gif )I can love the xbox because 80% of the parts weren't made by MS. I haven't tried it yet, but Im guessing Win. XP doesn't work to well on a Xbox. Thats why I think if you are going to use Xbox as a computer install a mod chip or use the MechTrick to install linux. If your no foamier with using Linux (after it installed) run Purl PC and emulate Mac OSX biggrin.gif Theres a winner.

This post has been edited by Nubs: Mar 27 2005, 06:11 PM

enderandrew

• Archived User
Dumb Xp Question
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 01:05:00 AM »

A 733mHz PC with 64 megs of memory won't really run Windows XP for shit.  I have a 900 mHz laptop with 64 megs of memory and it chokes on Windows 2000.  Add to that no video card driver for the XBox GPU, and Windows XP won't run for shit on the XBox. <

jimbob3000

• Archived User
Dumb Xp Question
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 03:46:00 PM »

but yet it is running 98 <

jaroc

• Archived User
Dumb Xp Question
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 03:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(Nubs @ Mar 27 2005, 11:08 AM)
I'll start out by saying I HATE WINDOWS, I HATE MS muhaha.gif <--MS THE EVIL CORPORATION.  ohmy.gif Thats right. I said it. What a JOKE MS is jester.gif )I can love the xbox because 80% of the parts weren't made by MS. I haven't tried it yet, but Im guessing Win. XP doesn't work to well on a Xbox. Thats why I think if you are going to use Xbox as a computer install a mod chip or use the MechTrick to install linux. If your no foamier with using Linux (after it installed) run Purl PC and emulate Mac OSX biggrin.gif Theres a winner.

Come back when you have something relevant to say.

I think a stripped down version of xp pro would work, but no one has really tried anything yet  huh.gif

ghwanderer

• Archived User
Dumb Xp Question
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 05:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(enderandrew @ Apr 4 2005, 09:00 PM)
A 733mHz PC with 64 megs of memory won't really run Windows XP for shit.  I have a 900 mHz laptop with 64 megs of memory and it chokes on Windows 2000.  Add to that no video card driver for the XBox GPU, and Windows XP won't run for shit on the XBox.

i must agree i tried ignoring recommended specs for windows xp and put it on my parents comp and it just has to have more ram. i have run it on a 900mhz 256mb ram laptop

smashly

• Archived User
Dumb Xp Question
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 10:50:00 PM »

So far I have run WinXP Pro emulated on xbox and it's slow as .

I used XDSL running Qemu to run it .. runs without errors , did I mention how slow it was.. well it is. Had time for coffee and a snack between opening a window or app or game ... great for learning how it all works though.

I stripped WinXP Pro of all the stuff I didn't need using nLite. I got about a 2% spped increase , but god it's slow.
The only use for instally XP emulated on xbox would be for fun and learning , xp aint ever gunna run at true speed under emulation. Embedded may be a differant story though.

Win98 runs a hell of alot faster using the same method of XDSL , Qemu and 98Lite.
Now that's almost feasable. Ran Red Alert 2 with Yuri's Revenge expansion , was playable but just barely , graphically it looked fine but just slow all round.
Standard apps of Win98 run at fair speed but nothing to write home about. <