xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Yet Another (sorry!) Botched Passkey Install  (Read 75 times)

newfie4ever

• Archived User
Yet Another (sorry!) Botched Passkey Install
« on: April 15, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »

If all you did was lift the pad then the drive should still work. Something else has gone wrong. I know this because I had a drive here that did the same thing and when I removed the sst chip to read it with my programmer it gave me a weird key. If the drive is dead then the only thing I can suggest is to get some one to remove the sst chip and read it with an external programmer. Then buy another drive and inject the key into it. The epoxy has to be removed first in order to remove the sst chip, which is not as easy as it looks. There is no guarantee that the chip still has the drive key on it either.

swampy1111

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »

i also had my first one of these do exactly the same thing e64 and that was also to much heat, ive done lots of them since but do not use heat any more
i bought the programmer for mine and read the tsop and it did give me the drive key

raz6

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »

O.K, thanks for the help guys. This 'programmer', is this the Willem programmer??  How much can I expect to pay for one of these and can you point me in the direction of a supplier if I'm based in Ireland?

podger

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »

The only pin needed on that side is pin 24... Is it connected? 1st pin on the left is 17, so 8 in from there, it should be connect to the gnd fill with Via in it, just to the top and right of TP211....

The drive certainly won't work if the flash has no power...

raz6

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »

Sorry Podger for being an idiot, I understand what you mean now. How would I go about reconnecting it? Just fill the gap with solder?

swampy1111

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »

http://forums.xbox-s...p;#entry3406983

look down there a bit and theres a repair for a via

cory1492

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »

From the image, it looks to me like your ground is still connected. Just use a DMM, find a ground and put it on the pin podger told you to see if it has no resistance to ground. If not, it's just a matter soldering a wire from it to ground, but I'm thinking you are looking at the pin beside it (going by the picture, at any rate, I see no gap.)

When you were heating it with the heat gun, did you hear any snapping or cracking noises from the board? If so you have probably cracked some of the SMT devices, like capacitors or the little white block - if so it may also mean you possibly even overheated the PCB, microcontroller or even the prom causing other internal damages.

raz6

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »

Thanks for the help guys, it looks like all may not be lost just yet. Cory - I didn't hear any crackling but as I said there is some damage to the plastic connector so I have to assume that I may have destroyed the chip by overheating. Anyway, I'm going to go try and repair the VIA with the info provided on the link Swampy posted (cheers man) and I'll post the results tomorrow as its quite late here! Fingers crossed and thanks again for the info.

podger

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 04:26:00 AM »

You really don't need to repair the via.... Measure the resistance betwenn pin 24 and the groung plane, it should be 0 ohms, if not just wire it up to any point, TP362 looks convenient..

NookularDeath

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »

after you're done fubaring your 79 series drive, PM me for a $35-40 service charge
that involves me downgrading your 79 series drive to a 78 and then patching with
iXtreme 1.4 and then spoofing your drive as a 79.

if you short something out and blow the controller chip (Panasonic), you can forget
about the drive ever working again.. Only thing I can do is extract your key with
my external programmer..

raz6

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »

Ok, got my mate to measure resistance and continuity between the relevant pads and gnd and they are all fine. Drive is still dead.  I have to guess I fried the thing with the heat gun. My only option now appears to be to get someone to read the tsop and hope the key is still in there. Thanks everyone  for the help, should never have attempted such a delicate operation!! Anyone with a programmer and willing to take the tsop out and up for the challenge?? I would pay a fee of course, I'm based in Ireland so someone in Europe or the U.k would be great as concerns shipping.

podger

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »

Raz pm me.....I'm in Dublin

podger

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »

Console ain't a paperweight

E-mail'd the Key and Orig.bin... Will set to work on fixing up the drive, downgrading and spoofing tomorrow..

OggyUK

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »

Podger, me ol' mate, you telling me you can remove a TSOP but never fittted a passkey?

podger

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 04:12:00 AM »

@oggy

I never said I couldn't fit a passkey, just never saw the point, removing the tsop is such a piece of piss... I've removed and refitted far bigger than a 32 pin tsop ( did a 560 pin bga once )....    

and the end result is far more useful to the end user and me....

Pages: [1] 2