xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Doom 64 Absolution On Xbox?  (Read 382 times)

kungfujesus

• Archived User
Doom 64 Absolution On Xbox?
« on: April 07, 2005, 06:43:00 PM »

I was wondering it would probably be better then trying to run the N64 rom on an emulator... has anyone tried this? dosent the TC use a wad file? <

yodanut

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 07:53:00 PM »

The TC uses the Doomsday engine. Though the Xbox could no doubt handle it, unless someone ports the Doomsday engine (which would be awesome, by the way), you'll have to stick to running it on your PC.

This post has been edited by yodanut: Apr 8 2005, 02:54 AM <

XDelusion

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 03:09:00 PM »

I have a 1.6Ghz Amd, WITH 512 mB OF ram, ETC.
And DOOMsDay without a TC even loaded runs kinda sloppy...

...I can only imagine what the XBOX would be like trying to run this. I doubt it would EVER happen personally.

Of course if we ever get a propper update to Surreal...

...then DOOM 64 "should" be perfectly playable.

I just hope that someday the option to swap Analogs is added to that emu so that the controls have a chance to smoothe out where needed.

This post has been edited by XDelusion: Apr 8 2005, 10:12 PM <

yodanut

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 12:01:00 AM »

Odd. I have a P3 900 Mhz with a Geforce 2 MX and Doomsday runs plenty smooth at 1024x768. Granted, I do use OpenGL mode and from what I understand Direct3D support isn't as fast, but the Xbox certainly has the power to run the engine well at TV friendly 640x480 resolution if it's adequately ported. <

kungfujesus

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 04:13:00 PM »

I just hope that someday the option to swap Analogs is added to that emu so that the controls have a chance to smoothe out where needed

I agree... i tired to play it on sureal xxx and gaahh.. the controls where such a pain in the ass i stoped playing  the dpad works OK but when u try to use that left joystick it seems to make it go faster than it should! <

XDelusion

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 05:19:00 PM »

YodaNut: WTF you're specs suck (no offence) what's the deal! Can you run the DOOM 64 TC with no problems as well? Do you have all the lighting effects turned on, models, etc? <

yodanut

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 09:03:00 PM »

Heh, heh, no offense taken. I realize my four year old comp isn't today's cream of the crop, but it was decent when I bought it. It's a good thing I have the Xbox for my gaming needs, isn't it?

That said, one thing I can say with certainty about it is that the Doom 64 Absolution mod runs extremely well on it. I don't use models with it because then I lose the authentic sprites, but every other effect is turned on. Models don't hinder the engine much though, as I use them with the regular Doom levels when I play it. Heck, though they're not installed now. I also had the full set of high resolution textures installed at one point, which strained the RAM if OpenGL compression wasn't used (I only have 128 megs) but still didn't significantly affect the framerate. For the sake of this post I tried Direct3D as well, and while the framerate seems somewhat less solid, it's eminently playable anyway. So I don't know why your comp isn't running Doomsday well, but it should, and the Xbox should be able to handle it as well.

This post has been edited by yodanut: Apr 11 2005, 04:05 AM <

Mr.INSANE

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 11:02:00 PM »

sorry to be a party crasher but we can either have doomsday or doom 64. doom 64 uses an older version of doomsday the newest versions are incomptabile. someone guy did try to port doomsday but gave up once he heard about doom 3 having doom 1 and 2 built in <

XDelusion

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 02:35:00 AM »

He he, that's a gay reason to change one's mind about porting DOOMsDay. smile.gif

ANyhow, as for my computer running shitty, I don't get it, cause I run all sorts of modern shit on here. Must be my curse, being that I'm such a DOOM freak. :/

Maybe it just does not like my old skool Radeon 9000 Pro with only 64Mb RAM?

P.S. Old computers have MANY uses, they play DOOM Legacy, what more could you need? <

johnnyrules182

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 05:30:00 PM »

ZDoom would be a much better choice to port to Xbox. <

XDelusion

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 10:28:00 PM »

Very true. Legacy is about to get 3D model support as well as EVERYTHING Hexen features. It'll be totally up to par with the DOOMsDay engine, with the exception of the special lighting effects it has, not to mention a few other minor details...

...regardless, Legacy will be looking QUITE good, therefore ZDOOM would be the only other port that offers something totally original...

...Slopes, Strife support, Bex, etc.

Besides, Action DOOM would be totally fitting on the XBOX. smile.gif

BTW, if you download DOOM64, it now comes ready with it's own launcher and an old copy of DOOMs Day. Works great on my computer now. <

XDelusion

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 11:00:00 PM »

EDIT (server sux)

This post has been edited by XDelusion: Apr 13 2005, 06:00 AM <

Mr.INSANE

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 11:04:00 PM »

actually i belive two doom engine ports would be nice EDGE and zdoom if you ddint no edge is one awesome engine <

XDelusion

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 02:30:00 AM »

Did they ever optomise Edge? <

fixxxer575

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 03:56:00 PM »

I run doom64 with the newest version of doomsday.  I just downloaded the doom64 that came with the old doomsday and modified the doom2 kickstart profile in the newest doomsday version.  just add the doom64 wads in the profile.  In order to use the doom64.dll instead of jdoom.dll I had to hex edit it.  I searched for the absolution.exe text string and replaced it with doomsday.exe.  It works fine.
Oh and i play doomsday on a 850Mhz p3 with a 16mb gfx card and 512mb of ram rotfl.gif   I get about 10fps with models and hires textures and opengl 640x480.  10fps isn't alot but the game runs fairly well. <