xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Jtag Problem With The Lpt  (Read 220 times)

Egooo

• Archived User
Jtag Problem With The Lpt
« on: December 09, 2010, 05:28:00 AM »

Hi I have a problem after it writte Xell to the console does not respond to an LPT port
First, I read nand.bin ok , then the XBR Uploader  2 LEDs to change the up down So cleaned and writte jtag tool xell

Coult not find lpt flash chip ??? if anyone can advise anything ?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by Egooo: Dec 9 2010, 01:34 PM

Firetalion

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »

I had absolutely no luck trying to use a modded LPT printer port cable and LPT printer port.  I tried it, tried shortening the wires, tried using smaller wires, tried not using the cut off printer cable and doing it directly with wires, etc...   If you're pretty damn sure you did the soldering correctly, then maybe you should pick up a NAND-X mod tool.  I found that none of my Intel-based LPT ports on computers I had around here, would even be detected by the nand-reader programs.  The NAND-X is a USB based tool that will take the place of an LPT printer port and instead just use any USB based computer.

I was pretty sure my soldering was not the problem (it was all clean and secure, as I got to test it on a MS-refurbished E80 dead board first).

Soooo, I ditched my LPT cable, and got a NAND-X, and now it takes 45 seconds to read or write one of the smallblock nands I have on my JTAG's.  When I accidentally-ish took my Jtag on to xbox live, and they 'crippled' my nand so I could no longer copy games to the HDD, I just used the NAND-X to copy back to my working freeboot-hacked NAND within moments.  Sooo, I was correct that my soldiering wasn't the problem, because the same wires and pins attached to the NAND-X were read easily.

Oh, and if it helps, I found that snipping off a small piece of a metal stem off of a diode or resistor, and then just a quick heating the pool of soldier on the 360 motherboard pin-holes just a touch (15watt heat tops) and carefully forcing the stem into that solder-ring with pliers, can make a good solid connection point for a JTAGs NAND reading.

I easily scalped the nand off the dead E80 board too, although there was still nothing that could be done to save it.

Stupid MS letting their refurbished RROD consoles get too many efuses burnt and not somehow resetting it before someone got their RRod console "back" from 'em...  the thing was like a ticking timebomb to someone who updated constantly.

I guess after the attempted update, the E80 state, and a phone call to microsoft that stated $120 dollars to fix it this time, I guess it was then thrown down a flight of stairs...   sad.gif   (bad business practice by MS if you ask me...)

ShelbysBaby

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 04:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(Egooo @ Dec 9 2010, 07:28 AM) View Post

Hi I have a problem after it writte Xell to the console does not respond to an LPT port
First, I read nand.bin ok , then the XBR Uploader  2 LEDs to change the up down So cleaned and writte jtag tool xell

Coult not find lpt flash chip ??? if anyone can advise anything ?? wink.gif

Tear the lpt cable apart, the solder the wire to the connections, also use a switching diode, without that can cause alot of issues, also make sure the wires are as short as possible

Cmonet25

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »

Mineworked for my xenon then when i tried doing it again... No go. I ended up having to take the resistors off of the lpt cable. Then it worked perfectly

krizalid

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »

Possible things causing the issue as I encountered them once at least:

1.- LPT wires to Motherboard going down and grounding on case.
2.- Wire broken and well... you know!!!
3.- Resistor legs broken... oh crap!
4.- Dead NAND (look for that shorting guide if it's the case, but leave this option for last)
5.- 3rd Party GUI software to use NandPro. (NandPro GUI always tells me that no flash controller found!) when NandPro it self through CMD Line works just fine on Windows 7 and XP)
6.- Avast Antivirus 5+. SandBox feature does not allow nandpro to access ports, so you must either disable the Sandbox while using NandPro or add to the permited list. (this may happen with other AV Suites, but I'm not sure)
7.- Last but not least.... Bad Power Supply for the 360... hey, It has happend to me  tongue.gif

Also as an advice... If you have your dump made and you've flashed Xell (I assume with XellOus Update) than use just the HTTP protocol to obtain your fuses.txt with CPU key and continue on.

EDIT: Wrong Forum Sub-Category by the way... This is meant to go in "HAcked NAND, bios, something... tongue.gif

Orka

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »

I had big problems with my LPT installation before i ran CMD (and nandpro) as Administrator.
I also forgot to keep the xbox connected to power several times. wink.gif

Using NAND-X now.

Old thread but.. yeah. wink.gif

Splatem

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »

I followed the suggestions here to try and get a DIY lpt NAND cable working, but to no avail. It just kept getting heaps of errors. I tried it with resistors and without, just kept getting errors. I ended up buying a generic USB NAND programmer, inexpensive and it doesn't get errors like the lpt.  Just make sure it is compatible with nandpro 2.0d or 2.0e you are good to go. Tiao or matrix ones are pretty cheap.

In contrast to lpt NAND cable, I had much more luck with making a DIY xilinx coolrunner programmer cable.  I followed the gligli schematic and it worked fine.  Just make sure your wires are less than 25cm long so you don't get too much interference.  You have to use the xilinx impact software, part of the xilinx lab tools, a 900mb download.  To power the coolrunner while programming, simply solder it into your xbox first and it will get 3.3v of power from the xbox motherboard. The xbox should be plugged into the wall, but not running while you are programming the coolrunner board with you lpt cable.  When you have a success from the impact tool programming the board, click on the verify command in impact to check that it has written to the coolrunner correctly. If you do a readback command, the size of the returned jed off your board could be 27k which is less than the .jed you programmed it with, don't worry about this size difference as it still works fine. Get the latest .jed file for your particular xbox from gligli's rgh package.

ap42

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 06:48:00 AM »

When I dumped my Xenon nand over LPT, 5 dumps in a row were different.  My soldering looked good & my cable was short, so not much else I could try other than remove the resistors & diode.

So for the hell of it, I tried putting an EFI filter (ferrite bead) on the cable.  I had one in my junk cable box that was removable & fit nicely on the CAT5 cable - I just stuck it on near where the LPT plugged into the computer.

Then I was able to dump 9 times cleanly.  

I guess I was getting interference from the cordless phone or the tv on the other side of the wall.

If anyone wants to try this you can pick up a EFI filter from radio shack for ~$4.