xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Update Xbox 360 With Burned Cd-r  (Read 609 times)

saunders73

• Archived User
Update Xbox 360 With Burned Cd-r
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2006, 07:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(cow_like_object @ Jan 20 2006, 09:14 PM) View Post

50 bajillion cell processors anyone?

Not going to work...first 50 bajillion isnt a number, cell processors arent out yet, and when they come out they wont be in computers for a few years they will be in a ps3 which will need to get hacked before we can use them

You are not going to crack MS RSA key by bruteforce attacking
You are not going to get the program with the key because no such program exists

acemilo

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2006, 06:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(jesuscakes @ Jan 22 2006, 06:36 AM) View Post

Fuck it just break in to M$ headquarters and steal the damn thing if you want it so bad lol

That would be the ONLY way of breaking the encryption, period.  This thread really should be closed, its not going anywhere.

jwin767

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2006, 09:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(acemilo @ Jan 23 2006, 03:27 AM) View Post

That would be the ONLY way of breaking the encryption, period.  This thread really should be closed, its not going anywhere.

seconded ive read through it all and it is slowly turning into a noob attack like most posts do now

phatman

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2006, 12:32:00 PM »

Dust off the old quantum physics book and chew on this. I AM NOT SAYING THAT BREAKING RSA IS FEASIBLE BY TODAYS STANDARDS. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. However if (for some strange reason) you want to hang on to your 360 for your children's grandchildren, you will not need any form of modchip because you will be able to apply your own private key directly to your backup. The future generation of console at that time will have an RSA key MUCH longer though, because it will have to stay a step ahead of technology.

phatman

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2006, 02:29:00 PM »

My point is we will see the current RSA broken in our lifetime and it is not impossible. However yes it is indeed pointless because as you said alou, everything using this encryption today will be obsolete. Done and done.

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2006, 12:02:00 AM »

I didnt see a link for quantum computing.  Here's an understandable one if anyone cares.

http://www.cs.caltec...ntum-intro.html

deadparrot

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2006, 05:57:00 PM »

So the kernel isn't enctypted, now, is it?

Sure, neither is the dash.  And even the BC emulator runs XBMC out of the box!

stowelly

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2006, 09:15:00 PM »

blink.gif

pretty sure he was being sarcastic

every executable file is signed, if it isnt the console wont boot it, if u modify the signiture the signiture becomes invalid the console wont boot it

digitalhigh

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2006, 09:08:00 AM »

Please forgive my ignorance as to the topic of RSA signing.  I think I've got a basic understanding of what happens.  MS has a "private key" which is a big fuxin number, which is then multiplied by another huge number which is derived from a sort of sfv check on the file, right?  The end result is a public signature which is totally unique for each xex?  But each of these signatures is still created from the same private key.  So, for each game, there is a different signature which is derived from this sought-after private key?  Wouldn't this mean that if you collected the keys from enough signed games, it would allow someone to crack the private key much more quickly?

Okay, now for a question.  Has MS fixed the vulnerabilites in it's emulation engine for the original xbox, or is it possible to launch the mechassault exploit through a gamesave?  If this worked, I would think it'd be quite easy to start running all your favorite unsigned apps again...

digitalhigh

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2006, 09:45:00 AM »

^
||

Edit:

Sorry, didn't see the other post about this topic.  The logical answer is that "No, it wouldn't work, they'd have fixed that right away", but it seemed like a valid question.

Another thought I had was regarding the update.  Is everything done through the signed xex, or are there some kind of xboxified .cab files?  If this were the case, it would be possible to edit the installers so that the files being written to the updater could change the video player, or maybe the compatibility engine so that exploits would be possible.

crimethink

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2006, 07:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(VoiceOfReason @ Dec 12 2005, 07:56 PM) View Post

Oh for crying out loud.

Read my posts in this thread; I don't feel like typing it up again. In a nutshell: if you multiplied the number of computers on the planet by a trillion, and made them all a trillion times faster, and networked every single one of them together and used the resultant cluster to try to brute-force RSA... it wouldn't take millions of years. It wouldn't take billions of years, it wouldn't take trillions of years. It would take unimaginably more than a googol googol years. Even if every single subatomic particle in the universe were in actuality a computer a trillion times faster than today's computers, and even if all of them were networked into one gigantic cluster, it would still take many many times longer than the total age of the universe to complete.

I mean, c'mon. Seriously. RSA is used by banks to protect customer data, it's used by the United States government to secure top-secret information. You don't think that one of them might've at one time thought, "Hey, you know, computers do get faster... perhaps we should pick a key length sufficient to withstand a brute force attack far into the imaginable future?"

Wow, what a load of bullshit.

I really hope you exaggerated for effect, because that's WAY off. If Quantum computers are ever developed, I'm sure one, or a cluster of them could crack the key easily.

Edit: If you're not aware of the power of quantum computing, a quantum computer would be trillions of times faster than your ordinary computer. I don't like putting rough estimates out there, but it's better than saying "TRILLION TRILLION TIMES GOOGLE TRILLION". Also the two numbers mulitplied to get the key are PRIME, which eliminates MANY potential numbers, including any number that ends with 0, 2, 4, 6 or 8.

Why is everyone believing this guy?

Edit edit:

Also if we get indepth about quantum computing, you'd see that the quantum world is extremely bizarre, and even saying a trillion times faster would be underestimating. The quantum world is totally alien to us, in the sense that most things in QP cannot be explained.

Eg. The observer effect

crimethink

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2006, 07:25:00 PM »

Can't edit my previous post :S

Additionally, in a quantum computer, it is possible for everything to happen. Every possible thing that could ever happen, every single electron in the processing unit will exist in every possible way that is imaginable.

Brute force, much?

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2006, 09:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(crimethink @ Mar 7 2006, 08:32 PM) View Post

Can't edit my previous post :S

Additionally, in a quantum computer, it is possible for everything to happen. Every possible thing that could ever happen, every single electron in the processing unit will exist in every possible way that is imaginable.

Brute force, much?

ok, and how long until i can order a quantum computer from newegg? im going to take a wild guess and long (looooong) after 360 is obsolete and no one cares about cracking the private key or any RSA security

If Quantum computers are ever developed, I'm sure one, or a cluster of them could crack the key easily.

yes, one could crack the key, IF they are ever developed, which in itself a big "if"

MikePT

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2006, 05:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(distributed.net)
We know this method works! On 19 October 1997 at 1325 UTC, we found the correct solution for the RSA Labs 56-bit secret-key challenge (RC5-32/12/7). The key was 0x532B744CC20999, and it took us 250 days to locate.

Then, on 14 July 2002 at 0150 UTC we found the winning key for the RSA Labs 64-bit secret-key challenge (RC5-32/12/8). That key was 0x63DE7DC154F4D039 and took us 1,757 days to locate. As of 03 December 2002, we're now working on the 72-bit RSA Labs secret-key challenge (RC5-32/12/9).

1757 days to break a RSA 64-Bits and it's been almost 4 years since they start to break the RSA 72Bits key and they haven't finished it yet.

MS uses a RSA 2048 Bits

The solution is not to find the Private Key (unless someone in MS want's to sell it biggrin.gif), it's to go around it.

BlueCELL

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2006, 05:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(MikePT @ Mar 27 2006, 01:28 PM) View Post

1757 days to break a RSA 64-Bits and it's been almost 4 years since they start to break the RSA 72Bits key and they haven't finished it yet.

MS uses a RSA 2048 Bits

The solution is not to find the Private Key (unless someone in MS want's to sell it biggrin.gif), it's to go around it.

I agree, its not trying to find the private key, its getting around it. Even though as far as the 360 is conerned we do look better in running unsigned code w/ this key.  Mainly because before the DVD-Firmware hack if you had the key you couldnt really start anything w/ it because the Media Flag of burnt gaves/dvds would fail.  But now if we have the key we could run homebrew code.  But getting the key is unrealistic, the wayt around it is the way to go!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4