xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Is A Modchip Really Necessary?  (Read 1640 times)

lordvader129

• Archived User
Is A Modchip Really Necessary?
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2006, 02:23:00 PM »

IPB Image

bdf24

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2006, 03:48:00 PM »

I LOVE IT!
ThatÂ’s frikin hilarious

gjm

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2006, 02:39:00 PM »

Were you in some kind of accident?

No, my father was a tree, yar!

laugh.gif

jlet19

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2006, 04:03:00 PM »

lol yeah family guy is funny

sumguy

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2006, 09:24:00 AM »

people who complain about cheaters in online games really amuse me. especially in a forum like this one. they want to hack the xbox and do what THEY want to do with it, but THOSE guys over there are wrong. if you want to fight the system you cant do it half way. you cant be half an anarchist. once you crack something it is there for anybody and everybody to do with as they wish. if you arent comfortable with that then join the other side or at least stand aside and dont participate, but dont join the game and then bitch about the rules. that just makes you a hypocrite.

as for MS dribbling out the 360 to keep modders from being able to crack it, or whatever other wack conspiracy theory is out at the moment, it is not true. the decision on how many 360s to make was made at least 1 and probably 2 years ago, when they first found out what it would cost to produce. it is pretty well documented that MS does lose money on each 360 they produce. they have to look at that and balance it against how much they can gain from game sales, peripherals, market share, etc. to increase production (build another factory) they would have to do a complete reanalysis of the entire business model. in my opinion they have probably done that and decided that it isnt worth it. right now there is a huge demand, but in a matter of months that demand will decrease, a PS3 will come out, etc. what are they supposed to do with the factory they JUST built? write it off? in summary, its not a conspiracy its just business

bdf24

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2006, 05:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(NoFace @ Feb 17 2006, 06:04 PM) View Post

I thought this topic was complete. This is no longer a technical discussion. If you wish to voice your opinions please do so elsewhere.

Are you a new Mod? You post like you are!

bdf24

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2006, 06:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(NoFace @ Feb 18 2006, 12:10 AM) View Post

*laughs* If I post like I do, I must be.
For Sale: new 360 mod
proof: how I talk

I meant Moderator.

bdf24

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2006, 10:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(NoFace @ Feb 18 2006, 02:16 PM) View Post

You just have to trust me.

That quote is not from me! Sure I'll trust you rolleyes.gif

Trick_D

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2006, 05:28:00 PM »

It is definatly just a matter of time till there is a crack/hack/mod whatever you want to call it.  The first xbox mods came around slowly and became more and more versatile as time went by.  Same with playstation.. ps2.. gba.. and everyother flippin console.

I got into the console mod scene when i found out you could chip the ps1. And when ps2 came out nobody thought it would be cracked because it was such a upgrade from the previous playstation..  and what 6 or 7 months after its release there were already swap mods and shit available.

Take a look at satillite.. if any of you follow that.  Dish network and Bell xVu swapped all their smart cards to a new format.. Nagra2 (from nagra1).  The nagra1 cards were pretty much cracked day1 of their release and were hacked by millions in the states and canada for 5 years.  Then all those cards became obsolete when the new nagra2 cards came out..  so all hopes of getting free tv were lost..  

WRONG!!! after all the impatient n00b ass testers (lol) said there would never be a nagra2 crack... wow there is.  Not even 5 months after its release (and thats the public release, there were several methods circulating in private circles not even 3 months after the release of the new cards).  The n2 cards were said by Bell/Dish to be their most advanced security ever.. much like MS is claiming.

I say its less then half a year till we see a fully public hack

NoFace

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2006, 09:08:00 PM »

Rename this topic "Is cheating on Live Really Necessary?"

SyPTo

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2006, 07:08:00 AM »

Take a look at satillite.. if any of you follow that. Dish network and Bell xVu swapped all their smart cards to a new format.. Nagra2 (from nagra1). The nagra1 cards were pretty much cracked day1 of their release and were hacked by millions in the states and canada for 5 years. Then all those cards became obsolete when the new nagra2 cards came out.. so all hopes of getting free tv were lost..

Actually , the reason dishnet was so easy , is because someone was able to decrypt the code, and thus the code was wide open matter effect , you didn't even need a card for dish.now for DTV where the encryption is soo good that noone has been able to decrypt it EVER.. they just find loopholes on the security and exploit them..

unlike with a console, it takes $$$$$$ lab equipment to just be able to make progress on those card, trying it will run into $'s , i can remember they tried to crack on of the satelittes in europe and threw well over $150,000 into it and after 5 years they ended giving up because it was just undoable.

well maybe it was doable, but at what cost ?...is it worth sinking more money into it then you will make out of it ?

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2006, 09:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(SyPTo @ Feb 24 2006, 08:15 AM) View Post

well maybe it was doable, but at what cost ?...is it worth sinking more money into it then you will make out of it ?

thats the approach MS seems to have taken with 360, not to make it unhackable, but make it not worth hacking

VinnySem

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2006, 10:38:00 AM »

Another thing to consider:

If there is some form of encryption in the 360, which the chip must defeat to work, then the chip itself is inherently illegal. Defeating encyption is a federal crime under the DCMA. No mod team is going to want to risk criminal charges and litigation, not to mention the purchase paper trail of credit card transactions. If this is the case I don't think there will never be commercially available modchips. Remember all the articles of litigation against web stores selling satellite card programmers, and the people that purchased them?

With the original Xbox there was no encryption being cracked, therefore the chips themselves were legal. It was easy to get a chip from any webstore. BIOSes and compiled binaries are illegal because the XDK is copyrighted and not legally available to the masses.

VinnySem

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2006, 01:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(PC_Arcade @ Feb 24 2006, 02:20 PM) View Post

That's right 'cos EVERYONE lives in the US don't they  rolleyes.gif

When last I checked, the EU has an equivalent law, one of the reasons LightningUK ceased development of DVDDecrypter.  tongue.gif

Apparently the chip on your shoulder obscured your view and prevented you from seeing my point.  rolleyes.gif

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2006, 03:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(PC_Arcade @ Feb 24 2006, 01:20 PM) View Post

That's right 'cos EVERYONE lives in the US don't they  rolleyes.gif

MS is a US based company, assuming they are using the same "you dont own the console your just leasing it from us" gimmick they used with xbox 1, then it should still be protected under US law, no matter what country your in
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6