xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Apps Take Ages To Start In Debugger  (Read 85 times)

TurkeyMan

• Archived User
Apps Take Ages To Start In Debugger
« on: May 04, 2005, 07:21:00 AM »

Hey everyone,

I'm having this problem that i've had a few times in the past where my apps wont start up properly.

I compile and launch with VS.NET and it connects to the xbox and executes the xbe, then it just sits there on a black screen for AGES not doing anything...

I have a breakpoint on the very first instruction in main() and if i wait about 5 minutes it *eventually* breaks, but once it breaks, the debugger is REALLY slow.. (like every time i press F10 to step, it takes about 1 minute to recover) making it totally unusable...

I first experienced this problem working on StepMania, it really pissed me off and now i'm experiencing it in my own projects...

Has anyone else experienced this stupid behaviour? And have any ideas as to the cause and how to fix it?

Its mega frustrating, i just cant really launch my game on xbox anymore...

I'm using a V1.3 xbox with a chamelian mod booting with the TATX bios and launching from MSDashboard...

This behaviour does not seem to be limited to my xbox, other stepmania dev's were experiencing the same thing..
 <

fghjj

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 10:42:00 AM »

Maybe some DNS or DHCP issue? Those are the only problems that I know of that last for minutes sometimes on Win32. <

TurkeyMan

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 10:52:00 AM »

i imagine if that were the case, copying the xbe over and copying other files onto the xbox would suffer similar issues?

that stuff is fine however.. browsing in XBox neighbourhood works fine :/
 <

ysbox

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 02:19:00 PM »

You have 2 network interfaces in your debug bios, you can configure both of them in the XDK launcher; the "debug configuration" is what the debugger and the xbox neighborhood use, the other one ("Game configuration" iirc) is set up when the title inits Winsock. You might want to check whether this one is set to "automatic" (aka DHCP); in that case, you better have a DHCP server on your network. Otherwise set it to static. <