xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Decoding System Link Packets  (Read 130 times)

alex01

• Archived User
Decoding System Link Packets
« on: November 20, 2004, 01:04:00 AM »

Maybe someone can help me. My goal is to create a computer program that will emulate an Xbox over system link in order to add real bots to Halo 2. I have already used Ethereal to sniff out some packets from my xbox, and now I am very confused. Let me start from the beginning....

Origionally, I heard that the Xbox's game networking api was based on DirectPlay (ala xbox365's "leaked xdk documents"). So, I looked into the Directplay for windows, assuming it would be similar on the xbox. So far, what I have determined is that when the xbox game is on its "looking for games" screen, it is sending out host enumeration requests. Any xbox that is hosting a game will reply giving it information about the game.

The part that stumps me, however, is that each time it sends out a host enumeration packet (if that is really what it is), the content of the packet changes! I can't figure out why this is, unless there is an encryption on the packets that are perhaps tied to the timestamp or other changing value.

I have a feeling this all is somehow tied to the LAN key in the xbe header, but I haven't been able to find any description of what it is; my knowledge of xbox api is limited. Can someone please help me figure out how to decrypt the packets?

seitou

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 07:50:00 PM »

From what ive seen xbox live does encrypt the data being sent.  So system link may be the same.  Sorry i cant be any more help.  I think you might need the xdk which would probably include all the information you need.

Seitou

_name_here_

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 08:44:00 AM »

Nevermind, i cant post links?

This post has been edited by _name_here_: Nov 29 2004, 04:47 PM