xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Jtag Really Worth The Trouble?  (Read 87 times)

zmartin34

• Archived User
Jtag Really Worth The Trouble?
« on: May 11, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »

Curious to know what the consensus is on Jtaging consoles. Is it really worth it compared to a much easier/faster DVD hack??

I just bought a jtagable 360 on ebay but I'm trying to decide if I just want to play it stock or jtag it... I already have a DVD-hacked 360.

The only reason I would JTAG at this point would be for the fun of it. Curious if its really worth it other wise. I know its a subjective question but how do you people view it??

Thanks in advance for any insight!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

DrexeL_UK

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »

JTAGable consoles are getting more rare by the day, in my opinion it's a travesty NOT to jtag it.

That aside there's so much more you can do with a jtag'd console than simply play backup games.

zmartin34

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(DrexeL_UK @ May 11 2010, 11:50 PM) *

JTAGable consoles are getting more rare by the day, in my opinion it's a travesty NOT to jtag it.

That aside there's so much more you can do with a jtag'd console than simply play backup games.

I see where your going; good enough for me, I'm going for it! That is if the CB# checks out (thats the worst part IMHO, finding a FULLY WORKING 360 with the old dash and then crossing fingers to hope that CB# is exploitable).

Drexel I have a lot to learn and could use some help. Assuming my CB# checks out... Which rebooter should I use??? XBR or Freebooter or what?? Thanks for taking a few to help.

This post has been edited by zmartin34: May 12 2010, 01:54 AM

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(zmartin34 @ May 11 2010, 08:52 PM) *

I see where your going; good enough for me, I'm going for it! That is if the CB# checks out (thats the worst part IMHO, finding a FULLY WORKING 360 with the old dash and then crossing fingers to hope that CB# is exploitable).

Drexel I have a lot to learn and could use some help. Assuming my CB# checks out... Which rebooter should I use??? XBR or Freebooter or what?? Thanks for taking a few to help.

You want Freeboot. XBR is now outdated.

zmartin34

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ May 12 2010, 02:06 AM) *

You want Freeboot. XBR is now outdated.

K, thank you Range. I checked you links in your sig; very cool. I'm tempted to do just that but I want to give it a try myself first.

I take it the Jasper boards are the best ones to have at this point from what your site said??

strykerst

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »

For me not really. Its caused me lost of problems, however if you already have an exploitable motherboard i would do it.

xmugen360

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »

short vid i made about my jtag http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aLDXjWSZzE after playing one for 4 months and before that having had used the flashed dvd drive mod for 4 years I have to say there is no  comparison...when you use a modded dvd drive 360 as compared to a jtag there is alot to consider

modded dvd firmware minus is cost: I have to buy blank dl to play backups...that sux

memory space: I have a large collection and I like to have it backed up.  If one of my original discs got to scratched to play i would really cringe about buying another one I am a cheapskate so since a jtag can play the extracted folder data I can just store that on my pc instead of an iso for example supreme commmander 2 goes from 7gb to 2 gb....so a jtag saves alot of pc backup space for this reason

jtag wins for ease of use for collection: right now I am having a blast using no discs with 700gb of my game collection running of a 1tb my book essential no more opening cases getting up and switching discs and games seem to load faster too...also since the dvd drive is not running my 360 is cooler and I can tell this cause jtag software gives us temp readouts...

you can change the dash that boots on launch with a jtag

no homebrew available on a modded dvd drive so jtag wins here to...as my video shows even in these early stages emu is allways a blast and there is more to come

I could go on and on but basically I wholeheartedly recommend it is a hard hack imo but just take ur time and go slow i did it over Christmas break perfect vacation project..Now if you can get over not playing on live then this is definitely really cool stuff

Nicotine

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 12:11:00 AM »

jtag is by far the best thing to ever happen to 360s.....

i hope they can figure a mod/way to do this for ALL systems (getting around e-fuses, etc)

it's not just a piracy thing.... it really opens up the system, and although it's still in it's early stages - it wont be long untill the scene/programs/tools mature and the system is REALLY busted wide open...

zmartin34

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 06:23:00 AM »

thx for the feeback everyone, very helpful indeed.

Can someone point my in the direction of a current, well written tutorial for loading FreeBoot?? There's a ton of stuff out there and I'm not sure which one to use...

Also, is it necessary to upgrade to the Fall '08 dash prior to flashing freeboot? If so can someone please tell me how to get that done?

DrexeL_UK

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 06:39:00 AM »

DO NOT update your dash, you will kill the ability to do the JTAG. Freeboot is based off the latest 9199 dash, so there is no need to update.

zmartin34

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(DrexeL_UK @ May 12 2010, 01:39 PM) *

DO NOT update your dash, you will kill the ability to do the JTAG. Freeboot is based off the latest 9199 dash, so there is no need to update.

I'm aware Drex but thanks! What  I was referring to was the Freeboot Readme stating that you have to update to 7371 PRIOR to installing FreeBoot. I don't know if its necessary and if it is how to do it??!