xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Who Wants Source Code?  (Read 158 times)

leftler

• Archived User
Who Wants Source Code?
« on: December 05, 2005, 12:55:00 PM »

According to copyright law you must submit

• First 25 and last 25 pages of source code with portions containing trade secrets blocked out; or
• First 10 and last 10 pages of source code alone, with no blocked out portions; or
• First 25 and last 25 pages of object code plus any 10 or more consecutive pages of source code, with no blockedout portions; or
• For programs 50 pages or less in length, entire source code with trade secret portions blocked out.
*source http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ61.html

Hopefully we can find the copy of some important code that is partialy blocked out (to give us a start somewhere), I beleve you must mail them or go in person for a copy.

Here is the search function http://www.copyright.gov/records/cohm.html I have yet to find anything for the 360 but I did find this

Registration Number: TX-5-528-132
Title: XBOX hardware kernel ROM

So I have high hopes.

Happy hunting!

staed

• Archived User
Who Wants Source Code?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 01:26:00 PM »

The problem, I think, would be that if "we" succeed in hacking the 360, MS would be in a far better place for suing if we had looked at their source code. Reverse engineering and exploiting bugs in their software/games is a far better (but tougher) way of doing it.

If you look at their source code I would think you have to sign something stating that you may not misuse the knowledge or something like that.

Even if we look at the source code and doesn't use that info to breach the security of the 360, MS could always claim that we had. And who has the money to fight them? I think the source code is better left alone.

Tempting thou... smile.gif

This is the same reason that the developers of Wine for Linux doesn't want to look at the leaked sources of Windows. They would be in deep trouble if they did.

Zanzang

• Archived User
Who Wants Source Code?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 02:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(staed @ Dec 5 2005, 02:33 PM) View Post

The problem, I think, would be that if "we" succeed in hacking the 360, MS would be in a far better place for suing if we had looked at their source code. Reverse engineering and exploiting bugs in their software/games is a far better (but tougher) way of doing it.

If you look at their source code I would think you have to sign something stating that you may not misuse the knowledge or something like that.

Even if we look at the source code and doesn't use that info to breach the security of the 360, MS could always claim that we had. And who has the money to fight them? I think the source code is better left alone.

Tempting thou... smile.gif

This is the same reason that the developers of Wine for Linux doesn't want to look at the leaked sources of Windows. They would be in deep trouble if they did.

This isn't some internet "h4xx0rz", this is the national archive of copyrights.

America's taxes pay for your right to source code.

kfernandes29

• Archived User
Who Wants Source Code?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »

Yea, you're right. But your money will be paying for the lawsuit MS throws at you if you view those documents and end up hacking the 360.

lordvader129

• Archived User
Who Wants Source Code?
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 03:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(kfernandes29 @ Dec 5 2005, 03:49 PM) View Post

Yea, you're right. But your money will be paying for the lawsuit MS throws at you if you view those documents and end up hacking the 360.

it doesnt matter, its like hanging a sign on your door that says "the key is under the mat" then trying to sue people for reading it, it wont work

MS probably took this option:
First 25 and last 25 pages of source code with portions containing trade secrets blocked out

and blocked out everything useful

leftler

• Archived User
Who Wants Source Code?
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 06:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Dec 5 2005, 11:07 PM) *

it doesnt matter, its like hanging a sign on your door that says "the key is under the mat" then trying to sue people for reading it, it wont work

MS probably took this option:

First 25 and last 25 pages of source code with portions containing trade secrets blocked out

and blocked out everything useful

We may still get the size of some important variables buy seing what is passed to and from functions, then applying that to rom dumps.

also, as I was saying to my friends when I found this it will mostlikely look like

CODE

int main(TRADE SECRET)
{
       TRADE SECRET
       TRADE SECRET
...25 pages later...
       TRADE SECRET
       return TRADE SECRET;
}

-------

QUOTE(staed @ Dec 5 2005, 09:33 PM) *

Tempting thou... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

http://www.gesmer.com/publications/softcopy/22.php
atari did the same thing, and would of goten away with it, if they did it the correct way for asking for the documentation (I am guessing they did not get the blanked out verson)

This post has been edited by leftler: Dec 6 2005, 02:27 AM

ShadowElitePro

• Archived User
Who Wants Source Code?
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 06:31:00 PM »

Well thats an intresting thought. But whoever got it would be famous for ever in modding history.