xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Do You Think M$ Would Sell A Hackable 360?  (Read 149 times)

ShadowElitePro

• Archived User
Do You Think M$ Would Sell A Hackable 360?
« on: December 05, 2005, 12:20:00 PM »

M$ wont care about a petition. They wont make a 360 thats basically modded. It wont happen.

BCfosheezy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 12:37:00 PM »

MS would never do anything like this. If they did anything they would do a xbox 360 hardware redesign to draw less current since it would be unnecessary and encourage you (Joe Consumer) to just replace your dvd player with their MS media appliance. It would be a sister to your 360 but would be able to do everything you want it to do media wise but have no gaming capabilities. I think this is actually a possibility since there was news a year or so ago of MS releasing 3 new consoles. We've already seen two. The third could be a multimedia appliance. This could be why our 360's came relying on a secondary source for our multimedia instead of handling it theirselves. Who really knows at this point.

Zanzang

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 04:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(MicroMods @ Dec 5 2005, 04:08 PM) View Post

Wait, this post was serious?

Not really...
Just wishful thinking ohmy.gif

caster420

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 05:06:00 PM »

If they did do such a thing, it wouldnt have linux as an os - it would be a windows version.

That being said, its never going to happen.

Caster.

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 05:28:00 PM »

Let's think about this...
Consumer A, "Hey look, Xbox360 Linux.  I'm going to buy it"
Consumer A buys it.  Consumer A installs FTP app.  Consumer A FTPs modded Halo2 content to HDD of modded 360 (I believe that the Xbox360 can cache to the HDD when it is present).
Consumer A, "Haha!  I mod ur azz on my 360.  Thanks MS and Linux!"

That being said, the disc will be available to the public December 17.

SickJoda

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 05:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(Zanzang @ Dec 5 2005, 01:23 PM) View Post

I'm just thinking...

Since M$'s reason for all of this security is making sure people don't pirate games because they lose money, and need money from licensing to recover their +$100 loss on the system hardware, do you think we (i.e. the modding community) could petition them to sell a Linux ready 360 for a higher price?

Like, the system could be manufactured to have a dual-boot:
One mode would be a stock 360 mode for games, Live, etc., and would activate when cold-booted or selected from a menu at startup
The other mode would be a Linux mode that could run unsigned code, but wouldn't be able to access XBL servers

Or, M$ could make a signed Linux installer "game" and sell it for like $100.

I wouldn't mind paying +$500 for a console I could use like a PC (especially since my PSU in my comp just blew and fried my mobo).

It's too bad this would probably never happen with M$...even though Sony did something similar with the PS2 (released their own mod kit).

...this is the stupidest F;ing question ive herd for months..

READ MY SIG!!!