xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: What Are All These Other Chips  (Read 173 times)

lordvader129

• Archived User
What Are All These Other Chips
« on: December 02, 2005, 06:22:00 PM »

you mean those samsung chips? my guess would be RAM

psyko_chewbacca

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 08:09:00 PM »

He's right, can someone with some technical knowledge tells us what anre those chips and can they be useful in some way in the boot process?

stanneh

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 07:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(wally48159 @ Dec 3 2005, 02:14 PM) View Post

Ballz2TheWallz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 08:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(stanneh @ Dec 3 2005, 03:43 PM) View Post

ndsbass

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 12:14:00 PM »

its just some ics used in the electronics. if you give me what the chip says i can tell you what it does, but its not something that would help with hacking. its just for the electronics, i.e. gates, timers, etc.

we need to focus on eeprom and tsop if we want to get anywhere

massareal

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 02:05:00 AM »

Might it also be possible to replace these memory-chips(Samsung) by larger/faster chips or is that "limited" by the memory controller. A Simular mod was also available for the "old" xbox.
Only before this upgrade was noticeble when you run Linux, all the games didn't allocate the extra memory.
2 bad i don't own a xbox360 yet! However if somebody can supply me with the all the chipset-numbers i would be greatfull.
Most pictures posted are not sharp enough to read this, but are crutial for hacking "the box"
(else everybody has to loose there warrenty just to read the chips)

reagards,

MassaReal

btw: Don't think the CPU needs a upgrade, only VGA, but that's 2 much work.
       (new VGA-bios+extra cooling?)

ajouvenat

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 03:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(massareal @ Dec 5 2005, 10:12 AM) View Post

Might it also be possible to replace these memory-chips(Samsung) by larger/faster chips or is that "limited" by the memory controller. A Simular mod was also available for the "old" xbox.
Only before this upgrade was noticeble when you run Linux, all the games didn't allocate the extra memory.
2 bad i don't own a xbox360 yet! However if somebody can supply me with the all the chipset-numbers i would be greatfull.
Most pictures posted are not sharp enough to read this, but are crutial for hacking "the box"
(else everybody has to loose there warrenty just to read the chips)

reagards,

MassaReal

btw: Don't think the CPU needs a upgrade, only VGA, but that's 2 much work.
       (new VGA-bios+extra cooling?)

You could put in faster memory, but only if the pin layout was exactly the same, and even then there is no gaurantee that it will work.  Your timing would be off and you would lose data on clock edges and you could also be creating data that really isn't there by shifting the read/write timing.

Just because you put in a faster chip in a console it doesn't speed up the memory bus because the clock is still going at the same speed.  

Larger memory would probably have a better chance of working, but that depends on how wide the address bus is on the 360.  If it can only address 512mb, then it won't matter but if it could address 1gb then you could use it.  I doubt 360 games would take advantage of it though.  The same reason why games on the original xbox don't use more than 64mb of ram.  Simply put, they aren't written to use that much.