xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Xbox 360 BBC iPlayer launch delayed indefinitely  (Read 899 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Xbox 360 BBC iPlayer launch delayed indefinitely
« on: November 28, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | November 28 13:20 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From telegraph.co.uk:

According to sources close to the BBC's Future Media and Technology department, a deal between the two parties has still been unable to be reached because Microsoft's strategy of charging for all content on its Xbox Live platform is incompatible with the BBC's public service remit.

"Microsoft only wants to offer its users access to platforms it can charge for as this is the model it is pursuing. It wants to ensure that only those paying for Xbox Live Gold accounts can access its additional content services and even then there is usually a charge on top to get access to those. For example, to access the Sky Player on Xbox, you have to pay for a Gold subscription as well as a Sky subscription," explained one of the sources close to the BBC.

"This does not fit with the BBC's model and Microsoft will not budge at the moment. It is really frustrating for those involved on the BBC side who want to make sure iPlayer is rolled out on as many popular entertainment platforms as possible," they added.

Full Story: telegraph.co.uk

dpbmt

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »

pretty pointless in the days of sky+ and freeview recorders  sleeping.gif

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(dpbmt @ Nov 28 2009, 06:25 PM) View Post

pretty pointless in the days of sky+ and freeview recorders  sleeping.gif
Neither of which I subscribe to or want to invest in. I use BBC iplayer all the time since it's free and convenient (and I already have everything I need to access it). Being able to have BBC iplayer on the 360 would be excellent.Microsoft are stupid not to add it as a dash feature. It'll just end up as another +1 for Sony and PS3.

d53642

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »

Just waiting to read M$ lame response to this.  Remember this article from Eurogamer/360A a few months ago over DLC being issued for free for L4D.

L4D 1 DLC Pricing Down to MS, Not Valve
"Valve's Chet Faliszek speaks out regarding the L4D 1 DLC pricing issues that have raised concern amongst the 360 community.

Faliszek says, "we own our platform, Steam. Microsoft owns their platform. They wanted to make sure there's an economy of value there."

"Well, they helped us get the first one out for free. We had the one DLC out for free. And I think... they have to look and say, wow, we're kind of being unfair to everybody else if these guys can do that," he continued.

So the reason you're going to be paying for Crash Course this month is entirely down to Microsoft. And why? According to Faliszek, it's so that other publishers that charge on the service don't get a bad wrap because of it. Hardly an ideal system, where Microsoft "punishes" publishers/developers that want to offer free content - in fact, it's the consumer that is punished - but you can see the logic.

Will this have a detrimental effect on upcoming Left 4 Dead 2 360 sales? Well let's be honest, purchasing it on the PC will net you free content as opposed to purchasing it on the 360 where you will have to pay, so it only makes sense."

Davek1013

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(Xbox-Scene @ Nov 28 2009, 12:20 PM) View Post

Microsoft only wants to offer its users access to platforms it can charge for as this is the model it is pursuing.

Why is it Microsoft can get away with charging for mediums you can get on other devices FOR FREE?

What we have here is essentially an awesome device, but we must pay a monthly service charge to unlock features we should get free of charge..

Last FM? Facebook? Twitter? All of these features should be free because they should have included a WEB BROWSER! They could easily tack one on especially since they are the only console company with their own brand of Web browsers! Hell, nowadays 30 dollar cell phones come with them!
And Multiplayer? Xbox Live is the only Non-MMORPG that i can think of that makes you pay to play a game online. rubbish.

Its this kind of Micro$$$oft bull that makes me never want to buy a Microsoft product ever again. I'll NEVER buy Windows 7. Why pay 100-200 Dollars for a product that does absolutely nothing and is essentially a face lift? Anyone else watch those "Windows 7 was my Idea" ads and think "Hey, I can do all those things and more in Windows XP!"

jdsony

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »

They must charge for everything. I think Windows 7 SP1 should include a feature that charges you per download.

PRiME2008

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »

If MS had their way, they charge you for breathing while playing the xbox. I just can't wait till someone finally hacks the internet system of the xbox so we can set up our own private live system (yeah yeah it will never happen).

MS charge to do anything model will die on there arse because all Sony has to do is keep up what there doing now which is that they offer free content and offer PSN for free and they will win the race, only thing keeping Sony behind is the horrendous development cycle for there system, they desperately need new blood and easier ways to make content for the ps3.

kingatrock

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(Davek1013 @ Nov 28 2009, 07:59 PM) View Post

Its this kind of Micro$$$oft bull that makes me never want to buy a Microsoft product ever again. I'll NEVER buy Windows 7. Why pay 100-200 Dollars for a product that does absolutely nothing and is essentially a face lift? Anyone else watch those "Windows 7 was my Idea" ads and think "Hey, I can do all those things and more in Windows XP!"

Actually windows 7 rules. True successor to windows xp. But don't let actual real world positive experiences sway your decision, keep hating on something you've never tried (I assume) because you're upset with a completely different division of a company.

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »

Microsoft must be hell bent in ruining all their headway they made in the console market over the past few years.

Sony must be laughing their asses off right about now.

johnnyrico

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(kingatrock @ Nov 28 2009, 09:12 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Davek1013 @ Nov 28 2009, 08:59 PM) View Post

Actually windows 7 rules. True successor to windows xp. But don't let actual real world positive experiences sway your decision, keep hating on something you've never tried (I assume) because you're upset with a completely different division of a company.

This!

[email protected]

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »

They are just greedy, as the saying goes,  you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. All this will come back to bite Microsoft in future sales figures and especially the next gen system. I believe Sony has managed to maintain a decent running this gen due to consumer loyalty, if it had been a brand new system with a band new name it would have utterly crashed and burnt by now. When the next gen console comes I doubt they will make the same mistakes as they did this gen and will be on a much more equal standing to Microsoft. Microsoft however won't have this advantage of consumer loyalty as most of their consumer base feel disgruntled in one way or another; RRoD, Live costs, extortionately priced accessories, extortionately priced live items, Datel situation, bannnings (5% of consumer base), disk scratchings, and so on. It will be interesting to see the consequences in the near future.

Lezlyte

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(kingatrock @ Nov 28 2009, 08:12 PM) View Post

+1

And once you've gone Vista/7, go back to XP and realize how limited and outdated it seems.  And I don't subscribe to the bad Vista hype, because I have a brain that can problem solve the same way I had to with XP if something came up.  Google can solve 90% of the world's problems too.

nectar12

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Nov 28 2009, 03:26 PM) View Post

Sony must be laughing their asses off right about now.

tristanx

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »

Ms has never thought of getting money from advertising then freeing live and all these stupid add-ons.

Sony wishes they has Ms pocketbook

This post has been edited by tristanx: Nov 28 2009, 10:21 PM

drkoolbeanz

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »

I just try to offset my dlc expenses with piracy  muhaha.gif  

It's cheaper then you think!
Pages: [1] 2 3