xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: A Stream And A Ban  (Read 356 times)

mrjkwik

• Archived User
A Stream And A Ban
« on: November 20, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »

so let me understand this.  because my console was banned, i can no longer play divx/xvids because the media update no longer works?  at least, this is what I've run into.

i can deal with being banned and accept that responsibility.  but, i hate the fact that this now happens, since, now it means everything streamed must now be encoded. which is a killer on my pc.

mrjkwik

• Archived User
A Stream And A Ban
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 01:33:00 AM »

i cant get it to work. i've created new profiles on a mem card to get it on the banned box, without it hooked up to live with no luck. cant figure it out.

mrjkwik

• Archived User
A Stream And A Ban
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »

i have an unmodded retail box also. just realized that if i'm not signed into live, it wont play divx either.  has it always been like that and i just havent noticed? i dont remember it being like that and i call bs on that for sure.

reddragon105

• Archived User
A Stream And A Ban
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(mrjkwik @ Nov 22 2009, 06:55 AM) View Post

i have an unmodded retail box also. just realized that if i'm not signed into live, it wont play divx either.  has it always been like that and i just havent noticed? i dont remember it being like that and i call bs on that for sure.

I'm guessing that it isn't the first 360 that you downloaded the 'optional media update' on. You can play DivX without being signed into Live if the console has the digital rights for the media update. You can transfer the rights by going here:
http://www.xbox.com/...ion/default.htm

Unfortunately it requires the console you're transferring the rights to to connect to Live, at least briefly, to download them. I found this out for myself the hard way after having a console banned and realising I couldn't play DivX on it any more. I thought everyone had to be on Live to watch DivX but when I mentioned that on here there were a string of replies saying 'I don't have to be on Live to watch DivX' so I did some reading. Too bad I hadn't realised this sooner and transferred the rights, because now the banned console would still play DivX. I have since got a new console and transferred the rights to it (turned out I had acquired the digital rights to over 150 items, mostly demos and videos, across 5 consoles, now all transferred to the new one). I've also done some testing and found that it even plays DivX files without being signed in to any profile at all, although it will not do that without the hard drive (presumably because either the media update is on the hard drive, or it still checks the profiles present to ensure that at least one has the DivX rights). In theory, if I ever mod this console and it ever gets banned, it should still play DivX, although I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft start disabling that feature along with everything else.

Anyway, hope that's the answer for you. Did you have another console you used DivX on before this one? I personally went through two non-HDMI Premium consoles due to RROD on my first, then upgraded to one with HDMI, then again to an Elite - leaving the DivX digital rights on my HDMI Premium without realising it was an issue.

mrjkwik

• Archived User
A Stream And A Ban
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »

thanks for the info.  it makes sense.  but...i guess i'm out of luck on that box.

i got a new box also, but kept the hd for the new box since i picked up an arcade version.  i'd check to see if it works on the old box just by swapping the hd back to the old console, but, then my profile gets corrupted it again.  well, i guess i could move my profile to the internal memory and try it.  but still doesnt really fix my overall problem until i get a new hd for the arcade, and only if the update is still on the hd?

well, thanks again for the info reddragon, i appreciate it.