xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Netflix hints at premium streaming channel  (Read 192 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Netflix hints at premium streaming channel
« on: February 01, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | February 1 23:54 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From arstechnica.com:

Many Netflix subscribers already enjoy online streaming access to some 12,000 movies and TV shows, but they may also eventually be able to stream premium movies and original series' from cable channels like HBO. The company revealed that it's at least entertaining such an idea through a question on a recent consumer survey, though customers would have to pay another $10 per month to get access to the premium content.

The survey was sent to a handful of Netflix customers, and it asked whether they would be interested in such a service. Specifically, the page says that customers would pay an additional $9.99 on top of their normal Netflix subscriptions and that they could watch the premium content on their computers and on a number of other Netflix-capable devices, like the Roku, Xbox 360, and TiVo. The number of DVDs available as part of the subscription would not change, and customers would still have access to all the currently-available content online.

Full Story: arstechnica.com

mrburns4695

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 01:04:00 AM »

wake me up when it is available in Australia... the Content choices here are crap!

metalcoat

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 01:11:00 AM »

Like I said, unlimited streaming, all hd,$ 20-30 a month.  I would ditch cable but it would be just like cable without commercials

fuzzyfuk

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 02:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(metalcoat @ Feb 2 2009, 01:11 AM) *

Like I said, unlimited streaming, all hd,$ 20-30 a month.  I would ditch cable but it would be just like cable without commercials

I totally agree, I think they'll release this by the end of the year.

Software2

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 02:43:00 AM »

Hell, why not add in commercials to "keep costs low"!
It's going to happen. Mark my words.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 04:04:00 AM »

We don't get fook all, and a crappy movie service at least (and no TV shows for that matter!!) I hope MS doesn't talk about Netflix at E3 because it's not fair on all of us, yes I know it's licensing issues but it almost seems they can't be bothered and yet apparently we have a better broadband availability than USA (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

shage

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »

Im all for it if it actually adds new movies, but sorry spaceballs,seven,dumb and dumber is not a new movie, i feel like a kid everytime i check to see new movies, 9-10 movies are early 90's and 1 is prob a year old, and 1 out of 100 are hd streams

K1LLERHORNET

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Feb 2 2009, 11:04 AM) *

We don't get fook all, and a crappy movie service at least (and no TV shows for that matter!!) I hope MS doesn't talk about Netflix at E3 because it's not fair on all of us, yes I know it's licensing issues but it almost seems they can't be bothered and yet apparently we have a better broadband availability than USA (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Microsoft should take a leaf out of Sony's book & do something for us in the UK (Play TV).

We pay much more for Live & get much less content.

Why cant MS organise something with Lovefilm & its partners?

The cost of Live should reflect the level of service you receive IMO.

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(metalcoat @ Feb 2 2009, 03:11 AM) *

do you actually watch movies on regular tv? i have cable for tv shows that won't be on netflix for at least  a year (prison break, lost, etc.), sports, and news.

comparing netflix to cable is apples to oranges.  both are video services, but have different advantages in different content areas

chronno

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(K1LLERHORNET @ Feb 2 2009, 04:15 PM) *

Microsoft should take a leaf out of Sony's book & do something for us in the UK (Play TV).

We pay much more for Live & get much less content.

Why cant MS organise something with Lovefilm & its partners?

The cost of Live should reflect the level of service you receive IMO.

Blame the people that can actually do something about the problem.  Netflix is the one that isn't willing to fill out all that paperwork for the hundreds of licenses required to stream to UK or other countries.  That and the MPAA and TV studios who are way, way to hard to even get the paperwork from, let alone convince them to do anything.  And then there is the UK government who also requires paperwork and licensing.

All that crap just to stream videos.  Such a pain in the ass just to show something that was made to show.

metalcoat

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Feb 2 2009, 11:28 AM) *

do you actually watch movies on regular tv? i have cable for tv shows that won't be on netflix for at least  a year (prison break, lost, etc.), sports, and news.

comparing netflix to cable is apples to oranges.  both are video services, but have different advantages in different content areas

Right but you can download these shows or Hulu or what have you.  I can deal with some commercials for brand new shows.  They are apples and oranges but what is stopping Netflix from competing?  You know besides bandwidth caps (Comcast, AT&T)

viewwin

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(metalcoat @ Feb 3 2009, 01:36 AM) *

Right but you can download these shows or Hulu or what have you.  I can deal with some commercials for brand new shows.  They are apples and oranges but what is stopping Netflix from competing?  You know besides bandwidth caps (Comcast, AT&T)

That is why cable companies started the caps.  Between IPTV and DOCSIS 3.0, cable companies could increase bandwidth and offer far more HD channels than what they do.

Meethatguy

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »

funny to see people blaming netflix and MS when its the greedy movie studios faults.  You know how much it would cost netflix to get said licenses to stream to all these countries? netflix would then have to use multiple rating systems,  charge people more to cover the costs and open up more shipping depots in multiple countries in order to get thier movie to then in the 1-2 day shipping.

Its  alot more involved then just buying a few licenses