xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What Is Your Fav Distro?  (Read 601 times)

-Natas-

• Archived User
What Is Your Fav Distro?
« on: March 03, 2004, 11:38:00 AM »

I like debian better myself. I tried gentoox a few times (3 times actually) and it can be a pain to install and setup. I mean it takes hours to update, not cool in my book. I just need something to surf the net and chat on and debian does it no problems. Debian also takes up less space on the HD which is a plus. From the time I start debian install till it is all updated, a few extras installed like gaim, mount e and cdrom, and get sound online maybe 2 hours. Takes Gentoox at least 6 hours if not longer. And what's up with gentoox not liking to load the usb devices? I had to keep ssh'ing into my xbox and reboot it as I could not use my mouse and keyboard, controller was worthless also. Debian maybe once in 20 boots it will not load the usb devices.

This post has been edited by -Natas-: Mar 11 2004, 04:51 AM

billenglish

• Archived User
What Is Your Fav Distro?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 02:28:00 PM »

i wasn't aware mandrake was available on xbox... anyone gotta link?
   GentooX is still best
   ShALLaX -- Great work on incorporating focus

morningla

• Archived User
What Is Your Fav Distro?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 01:09:00 PM »

what, i don't understand, are we saying that 800x600 will work on KDE on Xebian?  or are you saying it CANNOT?

i tried changing the section "screen" in XF86Config-4 to 800x600, and KDE woundn't start, so i restore the backup.

is there a way to change resolution?

Potato Bob

• Archived User
What Is Your Fav Distro?
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 04:50:00 PM »

Personally im a gentoox user
and it dosnt really take 2 hours to install but the update at first might take a while since they came out with the new kernel but other than that gentoox and icewm or xfce is great dont know about the res in kde tho

luther349

• Archived User
What Is Your Fav Distro?
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 04:04:00 PM »

mandrake is to outdated to bother with. it also eats space very bad for any xbox. well i have used both distros and genttox is nice in featurs and constent updates. but gentoox failes at installers and updates i mean a 2 hrs install is out of hand then another 6 for magic to get everything updated i mean can you get any more newbish then a install that urars the root fs. but once its running and patched it does own.

xebain ownez at a quick easy installer and smokes gentoox at speed and quick installes of new apps mostly couse its binary based. but it does lack on updates and doesent support nowhere near what gentoox does when it comes to none standerd controlers such as mine a cheap gamestop controler whont work in xebain but works great in gentoox.

in the end gentoox gets my vote simply anything you throw at it works even thow the installer is dirt slow it makes up for it in the end.

oh as for the usb devices not laoding once i cought on to that and unplugged my dvd dongle gentoox always loads the usb devices aka my controler all the time no failers.

This post has been edited by luther349: Mar 18 2004, 12:06 AM

Potato Bob

• Archived User
What Is Your Fav Distro?
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 06:37:00 PM »

Well then again u really dont have to use the installer

mine always fails at somthing about writing to the hd
so i just ftp it to the hd e:\

then run my updates and magic f-drive then my stuff like ice-wm

but only thing that bugs me is the first update is long as hell like every one knows
<_<

but im not dissin xebian either

This post has been edited by Potato Bob: Mar 18 2004, 02:37 AM

flattspott

• Archived User
What Is Your Fav Distro?
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 05:29:00 AM »

Gentoox Rules. Period.

QuimbyDogg

• Archived User
What Is Your Fav Distro?
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 06:22:00 PM »

smile.gif  I am lazy and more or less just installed gentoox for the factor of WOW I really can install linux on an xbox.  I tried to put on debian but I had trouble with it.  Gentoox was very easy to install.  As far as normal releases go I use Mandrake on my PC just because it is really easy to install with the bootloader lilo so I can dual boot winXP.  I dont use linux seriously so any release that works without problems is good for me.  I like linux as a toy to play with... I guess all this computer stuff is more or less a toy to play with anyway though tongue.gif

pSyCo

• Archived User
What Is Your Fav Distro?
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2004, 08:37:00 PM »

I had originally just used gentoox because it was a quick easy install (ftp files over, boot, repeat...)

But i'm installing Xebian right now ... it's easy. Burn ISO, pop in, ftp, run file...

Anyways, from the looks of it, i'm keeping Xebian (although I dislike it's x86 pc counterpart ... well, the instalation)..

next i'm gonna see if VNC is already on here, if not .. gotta install the server, and Synergy...

chimpanzee

• Archived User
What Is Your Fav Distro?
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 06:12:00 PM »

DIY debian(debootstrap), then supplement packages from xebian and a number of other backports of woody.

Taily

• Archived User
What Is Your Fav Distro?
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 10:59:00 AM »

i think GentooX is the best, and iwe allways liked gentoo, so that might allso be one of the reasons i prefer it. although its was more of a pain to figure out how to make it run on a fully native install (took me a while =/), since i got 2 xboxes i don't need the fatx shit on my server, its a waste of space :D.. but when doing a fully native you gotta watch out what all the updates does and you need to manually edit a few files n stuff :(

And as everyone else, i too think magic takes way too long, thats why i try to update it (and most other big things) on the computer.. well it gives a few errors here and there but it works, except i could never compile gdm on the comp, allways some error, but it doesn't matter =)

Drunkn_Munky

• Archived User
What Is Your Fav Distro?
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 08:03:00 AM »

i gotta go for gentoox. Easy to use, all the tuff you need and great support.

Xebian is ok, but I prefer gentoox

the_devil73

• Archived User
What Is Your Fav Distro?
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 03:16:00 PM »

QUOTE (Potato Bob @ Nov 30 2003, 05:29 AM)
Well the distros on xbox is different from pc
dry.gif

But hell its fun to mess wit. Ecept for the thing that I keep doin stupid things in xbox linux lately.

I hate it broke 3 times today

and currently updateing to new kernel

but wtf i cant connect to install new programs

like emerge amsn

or emerge -u world

Xbox root # emerge amsn
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 2) dev-tcltk/tls-1.4.1 to /
>>> Downloading ftp://ftp.easynet.nl/mirror/gentoo///dist...ls1.4.1-src.tar.
gz
--05:24:04--  ftp://ftp.easynet.nl/mirror/gentoo/distfi....4.1-src.tar.gz
          => `/usr/portage/distfiles/tls1.4.1-src.tar.gz'
Resolving ftp.easynet.nl... done.
Connecting to ftp.easynet.nl[195.86.128.57]:21...

and sits there. Then retries blink.gif

If it's pernamently down then how do i switch to a different thing and which one

never been a problem, if it weremt for gentooX, my xbox would be a peice of tuppaware holding chips and dip for parties lol.

good looks shallax

P.S. KDE is the shit

i got a mini-kb off ebay for .99 cents, gentooX and it work together well. Havent had a single prob!

Potato Bob

• Archived User
What Is Your Fav Distro?
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2004, 07:11:00 AM »

laugh.gif
(well then again there where some modifications)

It seems that both Xebian and gentoox have reached a point where they are almost equal in their installs, but what about installing new apps?

I think it was with debian u use apt-get am I right? Which I can say doesnt compare to gentoo's emerge command.

It always happeneds to me with apt-get it doesnt install everything needed for u or
it installs it and doesnt install it right (no seriously). So I would have to usually install the apps by hand

example: apt-get install xmms
example: apt-get update
(sorry dont remeber more)

Gentoo here's emerge I never had a problem with other than some stupid commands of mine  wink.gif .
Gentoo Builds all of its apps from scratch so obviuosly it would be a little bit more optimized for the xbox since shallax has preconfigured them for us knowing that we all are on the same type of hardware except for the video encoders.
Although gentoo compile's all of its apps from scratch it seriously takes some time
maybe a day or three for somethings. (might I suggest distcc or openmosix?)
Don't forget uninstalling is easy and fast just use the unmerge command

example: emerge xmms
example: emerge -C xmms (-C means unmerge)
example: emerge unmerge xmms
example: emerge -s xmms (-s is to search for an app)

I'm pretty sure I didn't make this post a balanced one cuz im in a little hurry
Feel free to criticize   tongue.gif

chimpanzee

• Archived User
What Is Your Fav Distro?
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 09:51:00 AM »

QUOTE (Meurig @ Aug 3 2004, 05:28 PM)
Really sorry if things are different on an xbox (only just looking into it), but I use Debian on a server PC at home and I feel apt-get deserves someone to stick up for it!

I've never once had a problem with apt-get, it works flawlessly every time, apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; are two commands no debian user could ever do without, completely and flawlessly keeping everything on the server up to date - simply! no fuss, no mess, and certainly no manual installs.  apt-get install mypackage; installs, and apt-get remove mypackage; removes it - I'm not trying to put down gentoo, but this simplicity, and the speed benefits of binaries is the reason I use it.

As for gentoos 'compile your own' style being more suited to the xbox than a binary distribution, I have to disagree.  Since everyones xbox has the sme hardware all you need is one person to create an optimized binary and it's all set for every other xbox user.  I'm afraid I don't know if there is anyone creating xbox optimized deb's, but if optimisation really makes a difference it would seem the most sensible route.

Now I guess it's just time to find out how favourably xebian and gentoox compare to their PC (et. al.) counterparts.

there is a repository that is geared towards xbox(mainly multimedia stuff) but it is this same repository that is causing problem for apt-get.

On a server which you are mostly running woody, apt-get is really solid as rock but when you begin to play with backports from various source and all of them try one way or another to work around the basic woody, problems surface.
Pages: [1] 2 3