xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Gentoox Home 3.0 Installation Question  (Read 285 times)

UberJim

• Archived User
Gentoox Home 3.0 Installation Question
« on: November 02, 2003, 07:26:00 PM »

I just posted this in the IRC room and got no response, so I guess I'll put it here.  I can't burn the iso, and I don't have room to extract distro.rar.  Can I just transfer the contents of the Stardust iso to a folder on my F drive, launch from EvoX, and install to E?

UberJim

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 08:16:00 PM »

I just tried it, it didn't work.  It kept telling me to insert the Startdust CD.

Sidewinder007z

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 12:14:00 AM »

Hehe I tried that too just to save time.  I ended up just extracting the distro file and ftping it over.
Works great...MUUUUCH faster than the old Gentoox version I tried before.

irajames1176

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 01:41:00 AM »

GentooX must not like the LBA48 patch on the X2 4977 bios or it doesn't like my harddrive unsure.gif i did unrar the distro.rar file on my computer and then ftp over all of the contents into the root of my F: drive, and when i start it it says ATA 48-bit Supported, then a line below it it says...28 LSBs of Max 48bit LBA's don't match. Using Max 28-bit LBA and then it asks me to insert the Stardust CD...damn i really wanted to try this out too dry.gif

EgoX

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2003, 03:32:00 AM »

QUOTE (Sidewinder007z @ Nov 3 2003, 09:03 AM)
Hehe I tried that too just to save time.  I ended up just extracting the distro file and ftping it over.
Works great...MUUUUCH faster than the old Gentoox version I tried before.

I found the same, transfer distro only

gl

zombie13

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 02:50:00 PM »

QUOTE (irajames1176 @ Nov 3 2003, 10:30 AM)
GentooX must not like the LBA48 patch on the X2 4977 bios or it doesn't like my harddrive unsure.gif i did unrar the distro.rar file on my computer and then ftp over all of the contents into the root of my F: drive, and when i start it it says ATA 48-bit Supported, then a line below it it says...28 LSBs of Max 48bit LBA's don't match. Using Max 28-bit LBA and then it asks me to insert the Stardust CD...damn i really wanted to try this out too dry.gif

It's OK, you can try it out.   smile.gif

You did everything right except one little thing... you need to FTP everything to the root of the E drive instead. I tried exactly the same as you and got similar results.

If you want to do the FTP install (I haven't tried any other method), you unRAR the DISTRO.rar file to your PC, then FTP those extracted files to the root of your Xbox's E drive. At this point you can just add a link in your chosen dashboard to "E:gentooxx.xbe", which will boot GentooX.

I've read that you can't just FTP GentooX straight to the F drive. After installing to the E drive, you can then move GentooX to your F drive... You need to open a root console in GentooX and type "magic f-drive". This is ONLY WHAT I'VE READ, though. So please double-check this before trying it.

It should put you on the way to running it from the F drive, though!

beerchug.gif

Zombie13.

This post has been edited by zombie13: Nov 4 2003, 10:51 PM

rgtaa

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2003, 04:49:00 AM »

gee what am I doing wrong?

I FTP the files in Distro to root of E drive and it asks for stardust cd too.

I have been using Home Edition for many months going from version 1.4 to 2.0 ,  so I'm familiar with the process, but FTPing the Distro files only doesn't work for me , either.

Tryed it 2x's and still get Insert Stardust CD!

I downloaded version home edition 3.00c that just came out.

EgoX

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2003, 08:09:00 AM »

there's was nothing left of the old installation on E: ?

rgtaa

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2003, 08:48:00 AM »

i deleted everything I could find from old installation from my e drive.
i was mostly wondering if an extra step is needed ... or if others that had earlier experiences with the earlier versions had trouble with this build?

i'm useing 4977 bios, which I used with home 2.0.

Charlemagne

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2003, 09:03:00 AM »

try to re-extract the distor.rar files to its own folder and then sending them to your xbox
when it kept asking me for the cd i just created a folder called Distro and moved the distro.rar file to it.  Then right-clicked and selected Extract Here and let it do its thing.
worked for me after that

EgoX

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2003, 06:43:00 PM »

re : rgtaa

there's a tutorial on the gentoox site that tells you what to delete when uninstalling, maybe that will help.

I've come across a few posts like this so i guess most of us had a little trouble with this build initially.

gl