xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: MS Drops Discontinued HD DVD Addon to 50usd/eur  (Read 295 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
MS Drops Discontinued HD DVD Addon to 50usd/eur
« on: February 25, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | February 25 12:26 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From dbtechno.com:

Bloomberg is reporting that a Microsoft spokesman has told them that the price point of the external HD DVD player for the Xbox 360 will drop to $49.99.
The reports state that the price cut of the external HD DVD player for the Xbox 360 will go into effect as of tomorrow.

If you still get those 6 free HD movies (offer is valid till February 28 2008 afaik), that's a pretty good offer I guess, even if the format is dead.
For those who already bought a HD DVD player or addon, Amazon.com(IMG:http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=xscenemain-20&l=ur2&o=1) is still selling 150 HD DVD titles at 50% off RRP.

*Update* Microsoft's PR Blog confirms that not just the US will get the price drop. It should drop in most regions to $49.99/€49.99 (and equivalent local currencies).
They also confirm that the 5 free movie deal is still valid for 4 more days (US only). King Kong is also still included (North America only), so that brings us to a total of 6 free HD movies in the US.

dialtone187

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »

dood i hope the deal for $50 for the player addon plus the free hd dvds are available for canadians and somewhere in toronto but i highly doubt it cause us canadians get raped on these deals on a regular basis. damit cause thats a pretty good deal 50 bux for a 360 hd dvd addon plus the free movies.

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »

Already hit $50 at BestBuy.com  smile.gif

dabigdilla

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »

I just got it from Best Buy - $54.11 including tax.  I sure hope that I can get the free movies as well

Landlocked

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »

This will never happen, but I wish there was a surge in closeout sales and players topped Blu-Cheese-Ray and brought back FrankenDisc.

Base8

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »

Hmm.. it might be worth it if it came with the free movies.  It would be nice to get all the hd movies half off also, although I've never been one for buying dvds so i think ill pass.

frieko

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »

Can somebody confirm/deny that you can still get the free movies??

And no, confirm doesn't mean speculate  tongue.gif

ausmods

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »

Sweet, I wonder how long it will take for the price to drop for the HD DVD players over here in Australia... Im so picking up one of these for my slim 360 project lol

DisturbedZen

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »

Any reason to buy this add on? (Xbox Scene wise)

I wouldn't be surprised if someone is able to RIP BR and convert it to HD DVDs. (If media is cost effective in the future)

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(frieko @ Feb 25 2008, 04:25 PM) View Post

Can somebody confirm/deny that you can still get the free movies??

And no, confirm doesn't mean speculate  tongue.gif

You can still get them, but you have to buy it by the 28th. Will edit with a link.

http://g-ecx.images-..._V25941811_.pdf

Must be purchased before the 29th and you have to have it postmarked by March 31st 2008.

Note. From some things I've read Toshiba may be trying to kick some of the rebates back. Before sending your UPC, Receipt, and Rebate form, take a picture/photocopy of all 3 of them. Once you send the package in, they may send you a letter saying your UPC was lost or some other BS and ask for a photocopy of it. As long as you copy those 3 items before you mail them then you will definitely get your rebate.

BTW I picked mine up at lunch. They already had another pre-order pulled for someone else too. I think these will sell out fast, better get them while you can.

Tiuk

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »

Cool, I think I'll probably go ahead and do it.
Here's how I see it:
-An external DVD drive (for PC) would cost at least $50, so even if you forget about the fact that it plays HD DVDs, that's still a pretty good deal
-It comes with a remote that can still be used with the 360
-HD DVD movies are going to really drop in price

Might as well, $50 isn't much to drop at all.

joemm210

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(Tony42077 @ Feb 25 2008, 08:49 PM) View Post

Bitch, bitch, bitch, that's all I ever hear from canadians. Get over yourselves, you are one of the smallest markets for video game sales, but you guys talk like you're just as important in terms of revenue as the U.S. The market in california alone is larger than all of canada's. You guy's bitch about the U.S. almost every chance you get. Just be happy that you get access to MP content faster than almost every other market.

We may be one of the smallest markets, but I think most of us get pissed off over pricing because we are very similar to the US market, there is not much if any aditional cost to do business in canada if your already doing business in the US. For the most part we get most US tv channels so we get the same tv commercials. Our video games are delivered by the same trucking companies. We have the same stores, Bestbuy, Walmart. The US and Canada have a free trade agreement so there should be no problem with that.

For the most part now most companies are coming around to pricing, first it was Walmart that matched most of the xbox 360 US game prices for canadians. Sony priced the canadian price for the ps3 the same as the US, Miicrosoft followed just this week.

I am sure the canadian HD DVD xbox drive will be selling for a lot less or they wont be getting their current stock off the shelves.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »

I'm holding out for the standalone A3 to get cheaper but that is a nice price on that 360 add-on.

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Feb 25 2008, 05:42 PM) View Post

I'm holding out for the standalone A3 to get cheaper but that is a nice price on that 360 add-on.

Amazon actually had it at $109.99 last week and then the next day dropped it to $99.99 and the day after it was $99.77. I bought one about 3 weeks ago (@ $121) and got them to post-price match it when it hit $109.99, but decided to wait before hitting them up again thinking it would get cheaper. Hopefully they do drop it again before the 5th so I can get them to match me again. That is one good thing about getting it from Amazon, if they drop their price on it any in 30 days you can get them to refund you the difference as many times as they drop it.

jdanefellows

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »

I just picked mine up hope to get 5 free hd dvd's so far its pretty nice i got a hddvd movie, a controler, and hd dvd player for 50 bucks i say well worth it...plus theres still lots of cheap hd dvd titles out there available pretty schweet deal if you ask me
Pages: [1] 2 3