xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Official Toshiba Announcement Tomorrow? - BDA Welcomes MS and Toshiba  (Read 187 times)

Elemino

• Archived User

Wow... I would have thought they would just sell off remaining inventory, but to actually pull them from the shelves is shocking.

blink.gif

XanTium

• Archived User
Official Toshiba Announcement Tomorrow? - BDA Welcomes MS and Toshiba
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(zcz_team @ Feb 19 2008, 05:39 AM) View Post

I doubt microsoft would make a blu ray 360, but more like just make an add-on like with the HD-DVD player.

Well yes, that's what they mean probably.
We'll probably see an addon first .... an internal blu-ray is probably not for any time soon (if ever - depends on demand I'd guess).

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »

I liked HD-DVD as a format more than Blu-Ray for a number of reasons
1. It seems like Toshiba had their sh*t together from day one with final spec players and media right out of the gate which goes a long way towards confidence in a new tech.
2. While Sony use the "protective layer" crap as a selling point they failed to mention that they had to develop that because their discs are intrinsically weak and over flexing caused a collapse of the data layer because of how close it was to the surface... HD-DVDs were just as durable as DVDs since they use the same data layer depth.
3. From a manufacturing standpoint HD-DVD was cheaper which meant that the timetable from expensive first run players to cheap players in every home was quite short (and we even saw that).

One thing I DID NOT LIKE about the HD-DVD format is that it used Microsoft's HD1 programing language (basically a special derivative of VB.net) to run all the on disc applications.

Meanwhile Blu-Ray uses Java as their base programming language.

This press release mentions that Blu-Ray is an "Open format" which is very much true... it is an open format and built on open source standards.

As much as people viewed this as a MS vs Sony battle it was also analogous to Windows vs Linux

Blu-Ray is more than just Sony, and in terms of an open storage platform they are have always been the good guys in this battle.

Anyone who appreciates homebrew software should have no problem welcoming Blu-Ray for this reason.

Mike4

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »

...as well as halted sales of hardware and media by March (as in days from now). Apparently Toshiba will pull its units from retail shelves, but has no intention to give burned early adopters any refunds (no kidding?)...

No, no, no... this can't really be happening.  I just ordered my add-on drive last week and am still waiting for it to arrive.  Although I was upset to learn HD DVD was throwing in the towel, I figured I would be able to get bargain basement deals on remaining inventory.  If they just pull everything, this will possibly end up being the worst purchase of my life.  It comes with a copy King Kong, which means that I will have essentially spent a little under $100 for King Kong in HD.  I don't even really have any desire to see the movie, let alone spend that much on owning it.   ohmy.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »

most "dead" formats get all of their stock pulled from shelves when the official announcement is made.

The last time this happened it was the Divix disc format.

Lordscr

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »

I wonder about all of the people the purchases a player to take advantage of the 5 free movies promotion. If they haven't received the items, will they still get them?

moddingswede

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(Lordscr @ Feb 18 2008, 10:55 PM) View Post

I wonder about all of the people the purchases a player to take advantage of the 5 free movies promotion. If they haven't received the items, will they still get them?

I've been wondering that myself. I mailed in my form a couple of weeks ago. I'm gonna be pissed if I don't get my movies.

Arch0n

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 02:06:00 AM »

http://www.engadget....at-war-is-over/

Includes official commentary.

pop.gif  jester.gif  laugh.gif The war is over cool.gif  biggrin.gif

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 02:23:00 AM »

Yup it's official now.  That being said if you read the article they are just going to finish clearing out stock until March 2008.  Meh, I don't care I just can't wait for a bunch of high-def to be on clearance.  Bring on the sales.   biggrin.gif

g8crapachino

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 02:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Feb 19 2008, 05:24 AM) View Post

I liked HD-DVD as a format more than Blu-Ray for a number of reasons
1. It seems like Toshiba had their sh*t together from day one with final spec players and media right out of the gate which goes a long way towards confidence in a new tech.
2. While Sony use the "protective layer" crap as a selling point they failed to mention that they had to develop that because their discs are intrinsically weak and over flexing caused a collapse of the data layer because of how close it was to the surface... HD-DVDs were just as durable as DVDs since they use the same data layer depth.
3. From a manufacturing standpoint HD-DVD was cheaper which meant that the timetable from expensive first run players to cheap players in every home was quite short (and we even saw that).

One thing I DID NOT LIKE about the HD-DVD format is that it used Microsoft's HD1 programing language (basically a special derivative of VB.net) to run all the on disc applications.

Meanwhile Blu-Ray uses Java as their base programming language.

This press release mentions that Blu-Ray is an "Open format" which is very much true... it is an open format and built on open source standards.

As much as people viewed this as a MS vs Sony battle it was also analogous to Windows vs Linux

Blu-Ray is more than just Sony, and in terms of an open storage platform they are have always been the good guys in this battle.

Anyone who appreciates homebrew software should have no problem welcoming Blu-Ray for this reason.

Please...let's not turn this into another tired Windows vs. Linux debate.   To the average person Java and Open Source are irrelevant details and is certainly not the deciding factor behind what products most people choose to buy.

kingprawn

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 04:22:00 AM »

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 06:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(g8crapachino @ Feb 19 2008, 05:13 AM) View Post

Please...let's not turn this into another tired Windows vs. Linux debate.   To the average person Java and Open Source are irrelevant details and is certainly not the deciding factor behind what products most people choose to buy.

re-read the last line of my post... I'm not talking about the average person I'm talking about members of the Xbox-Scene community... and if Java and Open Source don't mean anything to them then they should seriously stop to think about what this community represents and why we exist.

slimdagreat

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 08:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(Mike4 @ Feb 19 2008, 12:30 AM) View Post

No, no, no... this can't really be happening.  I just ordered my add-on drive last week and am still waiting for it to arrive.  Although I was upset to learn HD DVD was throwing in the towel, I figured I would be able to get bargain basement deals on remaining inventory.  If they just pull everything, this will possibly end up being the worst purchase of my life.  It comes with a copy King Kong, which means that I will have essentially spent a little under $100 for King Kong in HD.  I don't even really have any desire to see the movie, let alone spend that much on owning it.   ohmy.gif

if you don't have an ebay account now would be the time to get one

Alkane

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(gfxdreams @ Feb 19 2008, 10:26 AM) View Post

You know I work for cablevision and we talk about the difference between them both Blue Ray and HD-DVD.
What really sucks is for all the people who have dished out the $200 in order to get the hd-dvd addon. Do you people think m$ will make an add-on for Blue Ray's? I never bought the hd- dvd player because I wanted to see what happens and it's now offical that Blue Ray has won. IMO its sad. I like the fact that groups where ripping hd-movies to play ojn the 360. Anyone think it'll ever be possible to the same thing with the Blue Ray's?
thanks for reading my post.
~gfxdreams

From a competitive stand point, Microsoft absolutely must release a Blu-ray product for the Xbox 360.  
The source of the rip makes no difference as long as they are then encoded into a format the Xbox 360 plays.  People are and have been ripping blu-ray movies.

SphtKr76

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(steveju @ Feb 19 2008, 05:41 AM) View Post

You do known that the HD DVD add-on was just a regular(-ish) HD DVD -drive? That means, that it couldn't play any Xbox or Xbox 360 games. I really doubt a Blu-Ray -model would be any different on that part.

Right. What he was saying is that you have one drive for movies and one drive for games, hence extending the life of the internal drive by using the add on for movies.
Pages: [1] 2