xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Encode To H.264 With Ac3 Audio  (Read 50 times)

dbldown768

• Archived User
Encode To H.264 With Ac3 Audio
« on: January 22, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »

ok, so im trying to decide on the best way to store DVDs on a hard drive to stream throughout my media center pc to my xbox 360.  I have tried XviD before and now I am thinking about using H.264 before i get to far in the process.  I have read that the video quality is better with the same size compression.  I am trying to store the main movie down to about 1.4 gigs.  The problem i have is understanding the difference between AAC and AC3.  I wanted to keep the DVD audio in AC3 format (Dolby digital 5.1) and not use AAC.  So i came across this guide:

http://www.digital-d...uide_page1.html

What I wanted to do was create the MKV container to keep the AC3 audio and then use the mkv2vob program to change the video and audio into a vob file.  If i go through this encoding process can VMC recoginze a vob file?  Is it possible to then stream this to my xbox360 somehow.   I prefer not to use MyMovies.  I would rather try http://mcezone.com/products.php to see about getting it to work instead.

dbldown768

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »

i was able to create a mkv file with an AC3 audio track. using MeGUI and some other tools.  The file looks like the quality is good.  I dont want to use ACC audio because of the fact that it is only 2 channel.  I was hoping to keep it in a working container that will allow for 5.1 audio playback.  I am willing to sacrifice some of the quality of the film to make the file smaller.  Right now the mkv file i created is around 1.6gig, which is pretty much the highest i would like to go at the moment.  Now its whether or not i can change it into a vob with ffmpeg and if the 360 and media center will recognize it is a different situation.

dbldown768

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 08:01:00 AM »

thanks for the info.  what tools are most of you using to rip movies to xvid?  Approximately, what size files are you generating?  My new plan is to go back to xvid with about a 1500 bitrate and mux AC3 audio.  I used AutoGK before, but now i have been trying MeGUI since i think im starting to understand all this stuff a bit better and MeGUI give you a bit more customization.  The problem I'm having now though is the issue with cropping the screen?  I noticed i created a movie with a 720 X 480 resolution - which is the size of a dvd if i'm correct.  However when playing it on my widescreen HD tv, it appears that its not filling the horizonal portion of the screen correctly?  Do most of you crop out the black top and bottom bars of the films?  I compared the ones i did with MeGUI to autoGK and it appears autoGK does do some cropping of the film as well.

As a side note, the 360 is playing 5.1 AC3 audio for xvids correct?

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(dbldown768 @ Jan 24 2008, 03:37 PM) View Post

As a side note, the 360 is playing 5.1 AC3 audio for xvids correct?

Yes it is, quite happily smile.gif

To echo others:

SD movies: divx + 5.1 AC3
HD movies: wmv vc-1 + 5.1 wma

works a charm biggrin.gif

dbldown768

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »

do you use a average bitrate for SD dvd movies?

gt2690b

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »

has anyone gotten h264 and ac3 in an AVI wrapper to work on the 360.. i read somewhere in another forum that people do this but I dunno how