xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Rumor Smashed: Microsoft Is NOT Considering Blu-ray Support  (Read 95 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Rumor Smashed: Microsoft Is NOT Considering Blu-ray Support
« on: January 09, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | January 9 23:30 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From gizmodo.com:

Let us count the ways Albert Pennello, marketing manager for Xbox hardware, told us in a sitdown that the [Reuters] story was wrong, and when HD DVD really is buried in Microsoft's mind.

1. The "headline misconstrued the context of what I said."
2. Microsoft is "not thinking about it."
3. It is "fairly definitive" Microsoft is not doing it.
4. Microsoft has "no plans" to build anything Blu-ray.
5. Microsoft is "totally committed to HD DVD."

So just when is HD DVD dead in Microsoft's eyes? It's "over when Toshiba says they're not doing HD DVD anymore."

Full Story: gizmodo.com

ric27

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »

For the very first time, I feel a gleam of hope *sigh*

cloudyimpulse

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 12:18:00 AM »

What's funny is this is the same exact thing that happened last time (about a year ago).  Microsoft said it could consider Blu-Ray if that's what the consumer base demanded, then a day or two later Toshiba got pissed and made Microsoft come out and say they are committed to HD-DVD.

Here we are again and the same exact thing is happening.  Microsoft states they could make one, and once again Toshiba is there to fix what was said.  LOL.  If I find the original story I'll link it.  It's quite funny how basically the same exact thing is being said.

RiPpN-N-TrIppN

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 12:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(cloudyimpulse @ Jan 10 2008, 08:18 AM) *

What's funny is this is the same exact thing that happened last time (about a year ago).  Microsoft said it could consider Blu-Ray if that's what the consumer base demanded, then a day or two later Toshiba got pissed and made Microsoft come out and say they are committed to HD-DVD.

Here we are again and the same exact thing is happening.  Microsoft states they could make one, and once again Toshiba is there to fix what was said.  LOL.  If I find the original story I'll link it.  It's quite funny how basically the same exact thing is being said.

haha rember we are talkin about M$ here like they care if Toshiba gets pissed off with them

PerfectGun

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 12:27:00 AM »

Nice going MS! Continue to encourage your customer base to buy a format that is going to be obsolete in a year.  I've always been an HD-DVD supporter but I can see the writing on the wall.  Studio's are jumping ship and I expect Paramount and Universal to leave within the next 6 months.  The sales are just not doing well enough for them to continue to make movies for it and the retail industry is putting the pressure on to adopt one format.

Bubbalynch

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »

Ok, lets say HD is dead and BR is the only Hi Definition format available.

The cost of BR players is out of this world. And regardless of what some think, I do not believe ppl will automatically start buying PS3's so as to support their BR fix. (like Sony is probably banking on)

BR seems to be all around bad news for the consumers wallets and I believe its all being engineered that way. Take it or leave it kinda deal.

When the only choice you have is an expensive choice... what kinda choice is that?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

This post has been edited by Bubbalynch: Jan 10 2008, 05:21 PM

JohnnyVegas

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(Bubbalynch @ Jan 10 2008, 10:20 AM) *

Ok, lets say HD is dead and BR is the only Hi Definition format available.

The cost of BR players is out of this world. And regardless of what some think, I do not believe ppl will automatically start buying PS3's so as to support their BR fix. (like Sony is probably banking on)

BR seems to be all around bad news for the consumers wallets and I believe its all being engineered that way. Take it or leave it kinda deal.

When the only choice you have is an expensive choice... what kinda choice is that?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Exactly. I feel like I'm being forced to consider Sony when I never wanted too in the first place. I just won't do it. I will not be buying any movies I guess. If i can not get all the special features of HD-DVD on disk, then OnDemand HD cable is a far better choice for me then a $500 BR player +purchase/rental.

**Side note: Im also trying to only puchase American and european made products from here on out. Please put some thought to that.**

This post has been edited by JohnnyVegas: Jan 10 2008, 05:34 PM

apexad

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »

Keep in mind that normal DVD is not going anywhere anytime soon.  Even if Blu-Ray has 100% support of all studios.

I've wanted to buy the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player for quite some time, but with the recent news of Time Warner/Warner Bros. going Blu-Ray exclusive, I likely will not buy it now.

tutu

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »

I wish they would just cave in and release a dual format add-on or built in "Ultimate". It would have to be at the same price as the current Elite though to warrant my purchase.

I've just brought a dual format LG drive for my PC so finally I can start watching those movies. But I prefer the "TV experience" of just putting the film in my 360 and playing. The PC is just too noisy.

zX_Storm

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(apexad @ Jan 10 2008, 02:46 PM) *

Keep in mind that normal DVD is not going anywhere anytime soon.  Even if Blu-Ray has 100% support of all studios.
I've wanted to buy the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player for quite some time, but with the recent news of Time Warner/Warner Bros. going Blu-Ray exclusive, I likely will not buy it now.

Same here apexad. I'm not necessarily a fan of Microsoft. I'm not a fan of Sony. I have my brief with both of them. I was considering the HD DVD addon for my xbox 360 as it was cheap (plus 1080p support). I've wanted Blu-ray to win though because the more space on the discs for backups, not just movies. But this news from MS saying that absolutely won't help BR, wow that's like a little kid saying they won't play cards with you because yours are blue, and he wants red ones. Grow up, seriously. You supported a format that had a chance but it's going down hill. I'm seriously hoping they change their mind. I don't want a PS3, I don't want a standalone player, as they cost more. Toshiba needs to just suck it up.

Come on Microsoft, do the thing you normally do, just screw over Toshiba and go with your competitors. You'll eventually steal the market away from PS3 saying your console supports BR too. See? It helps you. Conform, please.

This post has been edited by zX_Storm: Jan 10 2008, 10:55 PM

Andronicus

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »

Here is my summery of this whole thing

"If we think that it will benifit us some time in the future, we could sell Blue-Ray addon devices for the 360.  However at this point in time we are still commited to HD-DVD, and have no planes to build a Blue-Ray addon (even though we have had internal meetings about blue-ray).

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »

There's something else to this...something we're not getting...
Does MS and Toshiba have an ace up their sleeve? They seem overly confident in HD-DVD even with all the studios going BR exclusive.

FCTE

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »

I've owned both and knew the risk of early adoption would mean one would fail and money would be lost. I'm selling my HD DVD goods on ebay to recoup some of it. Everyone else who adopted early knew the risks as well. I can't stand people crying about it.

It's not some conspiracy by Sony, they've lost almost every format war since I can remember, honestly Blu-ray deserves to win this time IMHO. HD DVD is very good and the picture quality of both formats is pretty much identical. Where I noticed better quality for Blu-ray was in the sound and of course space.

It's just an HD format not the end of the world.

Amazon has both formats selling for roughly the same price, many movies $20, and they have BOGO sales all the time, so I don't get the more expensive arguments, it's just not true.

People with HD DVD add ons can't be complaining about Blu-ray player prices either. A Pro 360 with an HD DVD  add is $130 more than a 40GB PS3. The low end great priced HD DVD stand alone players did not support 1080p and were gimped with missing features.

LOL @ people who would go back to SDVD instead of using an HD format just because it's made by Sony.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

This post has been edited by FCTE: Jan 11 2008, 05:27 AM

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »

this is purely PR, of course MS will go with blu-ray if and when they need to, but it is way way to early to even make any comments until HD DVD is truly dead and gone, if anything, all these new studio defections will encourage MS to start brainstorming the addition of blu-ray to their 360 product line...there is still a while to go before the definite optical HD format victor is crowned...although things don't look good at all for HD DVD...