xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CES2008: Samsung Says There's Life After Hollywood for HD DVD  (Read 151 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
CES2008: Samsung Says There's Life After Hollywood for HD DVD
« on: January 07, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | January 8 00:51 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From gizmodo.com:

On the Hollywood front, DongSoo Jun, Executive VP and General Manager of Samsung's Digital AV Division, believes that the Warner announcement was a tipping point. In short, Blu-ray will win. But! HD DVD doesn't have to slink into a grave next to Betamax yet. It will become the chosen format for "private" (that is, personal) content because the format--ahem, Toshiba and Microsoft--has a stronghold in the PC drive market. He expects Toshiba to really concentrate on the PC HD DVD market since it's deader than disco if it loses there.

The format war ends. The "divide" begins. And it'll be even bigger, in a sense.

Note: the Xbox360 HD DVD addon can also be connected to PCs ... so the thing might still be useful after all ;)
Full Story: gizmodo.com

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 03:55:00 AM »

i dont see it. blueray has more storage then hd-dvd so it would win the storage meda war to.

XeraM

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 07:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(luther349 @ Jan 8 2008, 12:55 PM) *

i dont see it. blueray has more storage then hd-dvd so it would win the storage meda war to.

Personaly i disagree... i think many consumers will decide on GBp$ basis (personaly i will)... and ODD costs will also play a role!

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(luther349 @ Jan 8 2008, 05:55 AM) *

Dual-Layer DVDR has much more storage than single layer DVDR but people mostly buy single layer DVDR because it's cheaper to buy/burn 2 single layer DVDs than 1 dual-layer DVD.

HD-DVD is much cheaper to make burnable than BRD... though I don't really see it.

thor99

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(XeraM @ Jan 8 2008, 03:21 PM) *

Personaly i disagree... i think many consumers will decide on GBp$ basis (personaly i will)... and ODD costs will also play a role!

I was thinking the same, I was considering still on buying a HD player anyway, Not for the HD movies, but just because I have a ton of DVDs, and just use it to upscale my current movies, and its alot cheaper then blue ray, as will be the blank media. plus, I still end up with a HiDef player. My self just like the millions+++++ of others am not a hardcore Hi def movie watcher, so price and features is much, much more important to me, and I think thats whats going to make all the difference...

This post has been edited by thor99: Jan 8 2008, 05:17 PM

sinister slipknot

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »

I don't see it happening for storage, most people use external hard drives as you can get them for cheap nowadays and you can reuse them over and over. I can see HD DVD discs being used for burnt Hd movies though..

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »

lol I think people like these and Bay are stupid righting it of so early, I think they need to shutup or they will shoot them selves in the foot big time.

Charbless

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that the next xbox may use hd-dvd to prevent copying the discs and it will have the storage capacity also run original dvd still.

dawgbone

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »

Ehhh...What does Warner have anything to do about the War? It's the consumers that will determine who wins. Or at least the uneducated consumers that will....

So I'm thinking, BD wins, as it's got the upper hand in the storage department. But how many people actually go about storing 50gb of data on a BD disc? Or how many people are going to know, consider, or realize this when they are standing at WalMart, in front of a $700 BD player and a $180 HDDVD player? Both of which that sport HDMI and are capable of 1080p. People that need portable storage turn to thumb drives or removable HDD that far exceed 50gb.

IMO...if they were wise, they would have gone with HDDVD, as it's more affordable to the sole people that will be buying their movies. It would seem to me that they probably just cut their sales in half, as well as instigated a reason for DVD to stick around even longer.

Honestly I'm not bias to either. I like both. But in my mind, they will both lose in a short time, as some college student will probably figure out a way to make flash ROM cheap, and finally put the dieing, scratchable plastic disc to rest.

Flash/solid state is the future.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

MickRaider

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(dawgbone @ Jan 8 2008, 05:53 PM) *

Flash/solid state is the future.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820609245 Wait 5 years and that thing'll cost $200. Solid state is coming but slowly. I hope the xbox 3 comes with a solid state hard drive to improve load times. Haha who am I kidding, maybe xbox 4 will have that. Although you know the PS4 will have it.

I'm glad blue ray is winning, that's who I think should be the next gen. If you look at it from an average aka dumb consumer, they can see that HD DVD is cool and all, but with something like Blu Ray it seems more advanced. And if you tell them it holds 50 gigs instead of 30 gigs they know that's better which makes the decision easier. Especially when you can get the same movies on it. Sony bets right again.

baghnah

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »

format wars are always so messy. at least this one is over.

Andronicus

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »

To the people who say the war is decided by the people...Blue Ray disks are out selling HD-DVD disks 2 to 1.  Blue Ray wins

To people saying "I may still get a HD-DVD player" for this reason or that, Don't!  Think back to the 80s.  If you had bought a BataMax when it was clear that they would loose so that you could still record you TV shows in "better quality than VHS", you would have looked silly when you could no longer buy blank BataMax tapes.

Lets face it, it two years when you can't buy a HD-DVD in any configuration (movie, blank recordable, etc), what good is any HD-DVD thinger going to be.  Great, you can watch your old HD-DVD movies you already watched.  Watch them over and over and over.  Woopee.  Now you need a Blue-Ray Player for all you new movies, pluse the VHS player for you old movies, and that BataMax player that you fooleshly bought when that war was ending for the even older movies, and the Super8 film projector for all your old home movies.  Come on now.  There is not logical reason to buy a HD-DVD player, or computer drive now that it is obvious that that format is dying.  I know that you hate Sony, and love HD-DVD (only because it is in your beloved XBox360), but get over it.  Face the facts.

5 years from now the only movies you will be able to buy/rent will be Blue-Ray, and whatever the even newer format that they will come up with is.  No HD-DVD, no VHS, no BataMax, just Blue-Ray.  That is it. Over, done.

This post has been edited by Andronicus: Jan 9 2008, 02:39 AM

Teamxbox

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 08:06:00 PM »

Man that is harsh. Your right I hate sony. Why cant they both exist. A clever device that plays them both would make it a possibility. No competition sucks the power from the people and gives it to sony. One format blu-ray(owned by sony) scares me. I want options and im not getting any. I guess the bright side is sony will get even more powerful and influence our lives even more. All the more reason to download your movies and bypass disc media entirely(solid state++).

dawgbone

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »

I don't think I meant so much solid state as I did flash ROM for HD movies. I'm looking at the 2 GB mini SD, that is the size of my pinky nail, and 32GB thumb drives, and thinking, screw the plastic disc. That's 90's....2008 and we're still fumbling around with stupid plastic disc. Most HDTV's have USB ports along the front and side of them, and have picture slide show players built in. Why not do the same for movies. Just take a thumb drive out of your pocket, plug it up, and enjoy. Fast Tx rates, copyright should not be an issue, no big ugly players sitting in your AV shelf, no moving parts, less heat, flash protected for piracy...etc

It just would make sense to me to try to find a way to make flash ROM cheaper, than to spend years trying to figure out how to make a whopping 50gb plastic disc with a laser.

I am happy that BD won/is winning...Having the upper hand on storage is a good thing. As far as movies, it means less compression(good quality HD), possibly more content(making of, deleted scenes, trailors), as well as probably more audio options....I just don't like the price of their players. It would be senseless to buy a BD player other than a PS3.

JohnnyVegas

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »

IDK.. Seems to me like the other companys making movies is just tossing Sony a bone here to save there failing brand. If it wasn't for this, SONY would be going the way of the dino.

Sony pulled some big favors here. From the begining, everything was against Sony even the world board. Bunch of brats. This was the nail in the coffin for me with Sony. I will never buy a Sony product for sure (I stopped 3 years ago).
Pages: [1] 2