xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Toshiba Reacts to Warner's Announcement to go Blu  (Read 289 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Toshiba Reacts to Warner's Announcement to go Blu
« on: January 04, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | January 4 20:33 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From the press release:

Toshiba is quite surprised by Warner Bros.' decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact that there are various contracts in place between our companies concerning the support of HD DVD. As central members of the DVD Forum, we have long maintained a close partnership with Warner Bros.  We worked closely together to help standardize the first-generation DVD format as well as to define and shape HD DVD as its next-generation successor.

We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite of the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as other regions in 2007.  HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the US market in 2007.

We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps.  We remain firm in our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of the consumer.

Fyb3roptik

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »

I agree.......I kind of find it hard to believe. Does anyone really want to live in a world where Sony controls the price of HD Movies?

Sircolby45

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(Fyb3roptik @ Jan 4 2008, 10:03 PM) *

I agree.......I kind of find it hard to believe. Does anyone really want to live in a world where Sony controls the price of HD Movies?

Does anyone want to live in a world where Sony controls anything? Rootkit anyone? Not to mention that they have always charged a high price for their products.

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »

You know Im not one to ever say something like this, but I am boycotting all products from Warner Bros and the other Bluray exclusive studios. As long as there are 2 viable formats these big studios should release on both formats... Furthermore, I am in agreeance with the other 2 posters, WHO WANTS SONY CONTROLLING ANYTHING.

Landlocked

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »

Hmm...I wonder if this is where MS plays the irony card and sues Sony for being a monopoly. They *could* site next gen consoles as an example where multiple formats has worked in the consumer's best interest.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(Fyb3roptik @ Jan 5 2008, 03:03 AM) *

not me, after the price of stuff like memory sticks i wouldnt like to know.

tomgreen99200

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »

the war is crumbling !! Im scared...

This post has been edited by tomgreen99200: Jan 5 2008, 04:25 AM

rezonat0r

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »

Here's a wild idea:  Stop whining like babies and learn some facts.  Sony doesn't "control" Blu-ray any more than Microsoft "controls" HD-DVD.

http://en.wikipedia....isc_Association

...and yes, the war is crumbling.  There should never have been a war in the first place...

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »

War crumbling my ASS, with the amount of money invested this war is going to rage on forever. I wish it would end, but it ain't.

joemm210

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »

they seem to be controlling the format to me by putting blu-ray into each ps3 but anyway I dont really care if they win I wont be getting either player for another 2 years anyway.

The reasons I wanted hd dvd to win:

1 Region free player
2 more internet extras on the disc,  a few movies allowed you to send a request to a friend to watch the movie at the same time
3. the picture in picture function
and 4, I really hate sony junk

rezonat0r

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(joemm210 @ Jan 5 2008, 04:21 AM) *

The reasons I wanted hd dvd to win:

1 Region free player
2 more internet extras on the disc,  a few movies allowed you to send a request to a friend to watch the movie at the same time
3. the picture in picture function
and 4, I really hate sony junk

1.  Region free was the best thing about HD-DVD.
2.  Sounds... worthless?
3.  Supported by Blu-ray profile 1.1
4.  Sure you want to compare PS3's failure rate to the 360's?  Thought not...

This post has been edited by rezonat0r: Jan 5 2008, 05:31 AM

emailer33

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(rezonat0r @ Jan 4 2008, 11:30 PM) *

2.  Sounds... worthless?

See thats the thing with Blu-ray, they have to keep coming out with new profiles to compete, they couldn't have written the standard in advance as did HD-DVD.  And he could be referencing other Sony products, the only thing I use by them are home audio products, the only thing they should stick to

rezonat0r

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(emailer33 @ Jan 5 2008, 04:36 AM) *

See thats the thing with Blu-ray, they have to keep coming out with new profiles to compete, they couldn't have written the standard in advance as did HD-DVD.  And he could be referencing other Sony products, the only thing I use by them are home audio products, the only thing they should stick to

One could argue that with BD-Java the Blu-ray standard was initially more advanced.  Either way, at least the BD format is moving forward...  I do think it was pretty stupid to release BD players that weren't upgradable to profile 1.1 though.

slipstream

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(feflicker @ Jan 5 2008, 04:29 AM) *

You know Im not one to ever say something like this, but I am boycotting all products from Warner Bros and the other Bluray exclusive studios. As long as there are 2 viable formats these big studios should release on both formats... Furthermore, I am in agreeance with the other 2 posters, WHO WANTS SONY CONTROLLING ANYTHING.

wow, thats pretty scewed... If your gonna boycot the blu-ray exclusive studios for only releasing on 1 format, shouldnt you boycot the HD-DVD exclusive studios as well?

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(rezonat0r @ Jan 5 2008, 05:30 AM) *

2.  Sounds... worthless?

How on earth does comparing the PS3's failure rate to that of the 360's have anything to do with HD-DVD versus Blu-Ray?

I really hate hearing this news about WB going Blu-Ray exclusive (despite the fact that I have a PS3, and not yet a HD-DVD player). I've always believed in the HD-DVD format, as it's region free (somewhat trivial to me atm, but I know in the future it's gonna really suck), and the technology behind it seems more reliable and efficient, not to mention cost effective (however, if Blu-Ray were to become standard, it'd be much more cost effective as well).

Well, hopefully Blu-Ray isn't going to attempt to hold the consumer by the balls. I've actually noticed some better prices on Blu-Ray movies lately, so it might not be so bad. Hopefully when we're down to one format, the prices will be more reasonable.
Pages: [1] 2 3