xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Transformers HD DVD Smashes First-Week Sales Records  (Read 183 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Transformers HD DVD Smashes First-Week Sales Records
« on: October 22, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | October 22 20:03 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From highdefdigest.com:

According to a just-issued press release from Paramount, the HD DVD edition of 'Transformers' sold over 100,000 units in its first day of release, and went on to sell an additional 90,000 units over next six days, making it the fastest and best-selling week one release on either high definition format, as well as the best selling HD DVD ever.

The standard-def version of 'Transformers' also made news, moving over 8.3 million units in its first week, and 4.5 million copies on day one, a new record for the year 2007.

Note: Now let's wait and see how Blu-ray exclusive Spider-Man 3 will perform. The disc is already released in several EU countries, but it's only coming out Oct. 30th in N-America.
Full Story: highdefdigest.com
Buy Now: Transformers [HD DVD](IMG:http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=finalfantasyx-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B000NU2NJ8) | Transformers [DVD](IMG:http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=finalfantasyx-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00005JPNO)

flashfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »

Did anyone else notice the links to get the dvds from amazon had final fantasy in the title? Odd.

Im hoping to get this when it comes out nov 1st here in aus. Been waiting for it, will be my 1st hd-dvd other than king kong. I might actually get to use my player for something!

Bubbalynch

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »

I don't think Spiderman 3 BlueRay will come anywhere close to Transformers HD-DVD in sales. But who knows.

Torell

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »

it probably has something to do with the fact that spiderman3 was a complete piece of garbage

the special effects don't even come close to transformers (maybe one scene)
the movie in general was too cheesy and they had to make him all emo

don't get me wrong, transformers wasn't that great of a movie either, but as far as special effects and the main female lead (megan fox.....) transformers kicks spidey across the board

good for HD-DVD, i'm biased against sony because of all the bullshit they've pulled over the years, especially the more recent stuff (rootkits)

Landlocked

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »

I would think more people would want to see robots fight in high def than a cheesy sci-fi/love story wanna be flick. Oh wait...Transformers has that too!  blink.gif

I own two HD DVD players and about 7 HD discs. I'll gladly eat my loss if Blu Ray were considered the winner...just so I know what format to build my collection on.

thetrunks

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »

If Transformers was on Blu-ray then the sales would have been greater

lmaolmao

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 02:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(thetrunks @ Oct 23 2007, 05:10 AM) View Post

i think your right,  but the figures show just how small the hd market is compared to the dvd.  <3%.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 04:12:00 AM »

I would think more people would want to see robots fight in high def than a cheesy sci-fi/love story wanna be flick. Oh wait...Transformers has that too!

Not me. Probably if I was 12 years old it might appeal, but I wouldn't buy it if it cost a penny. Just goes to show that you can't predict or say what other peoples taste will be. We are all individuals and like different genres, thank goodness.
I own two HD DVD players and about 7 HD discs. I'll gladly eat my loss if Blu Ray were considered the winner...just so I know what format to build my collection on.

You may need some salt to go with that collection. Just because you buy HD-DVD does not mean everyone else will. They may buy neither in the end. It will run for a bit yet.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 07:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(thetrunks @ Oct 22 2007, 11:10 PM) View Post

WRONG... but thanks for playing.

HD DVD sales would have been even stronger... if it wasn't for the fact that stores sold out of the HD version in the first couple of days. My store had nothing but the standard DVDs after Wednesday.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »

WRONG... but thanks for playing.

You have absolutely no way of knowing that, any more than the original comment that Blu-Ray would have sold better for the Transformers release.
"Thanks for playing"

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »

Let's see... we sell out the second day the movie has been released and get no more for the rest of the week. Customers ask for the movie all week long... Do I really have to continue this? Anytime supply meets demand you sell to the maximum potential. If demand is much higher than supply that means there are a lot of people still trying to buy but can't... Like I said.. if the stores had been sent more copies the movie would have sold better... it doesn't take a genious to figure that out. It wasn't the format that was an issue... it was the supply available.

This post has been edited by Elemino: Oct 23 2007, 04:19 PM

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(Elemino @ Oct 23 2007, 04:18 PM) View Post

Let's see... we sell out the second day the movie has been released and get no more for the rest of the week. Customers ask for the movie all week long... Do I really have to continue this? Anytime supply meets demand you sell to the maximum potential. If demand is much higher than supply that means there are a lot of people still trying to buy but can't... Like I said.. if the stores had been sent more copies the movie would have sold better... it doesn't take a genious to figure that out. It wasn't the format that was an issue... it was the supply available.

Let's see. the guy is saying if it was out on BR it would have sold more at this point than on HD-DVD (Nothing to do with stock issues) Neither of you know the answer to that. If it was dual format the BR version may have sold out first day. again you don't know that.
Do I need to continue

rooter75

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(Landlocked @ Oct 22 2007, 08:30 PM) View Post

I would think more people would want to see robots fight in high def than a cheesy sci-fi/love story wanna be flick. Oh wait...Transformers has that too!  blink.gif

QUOTE(Chancer @ Oct 23 2007, 04:12 AM) View Post

Not me. Probably if I was 12 years old it might appeal, but I wouldn't buy it if it cost a penny. Just goes to show that you can't predict or say what other peoples taste will be. We are all individuals and like different genres, thank goodness.

Well I am much older than 12, and in fact the transformers are too, so I for one got a kick out of this film (d/t the fact that I actually grew up with transformers- the originals).
it is a good thing he didn't say anything specifically about you in his post and as far as I read he said "most" not "all" so that in itself leaves room for variation. I agree predicting what people will like is anyones guess but after a week of sales like the above it is fair to say people like this movie.

p.s. by the way Chancer for the most part you usually post very logical responses to stuff but lately I have read more "pissy" posts then usual i think you might need a hug!

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(rooter75 @ Oct 23 2007, 05:44 PM) View Post

Well I am much older than 12, and in fact the transformers are too, so I for one got a kick out of this film (d/t the fact that I actually grew up with transformers- the originals).
it is a good thing he didn't say anything specifically about you in his post and as far as I read he said "most" not "all" so that in itself leaves room for variation. I agree predicting what people will like is anyones guess but after a week of sales like the above it is fair to say people like this movie.

p.s. by the way Chancer for the most part you usually post very logical responses to stuff but lately I have read more "pissy" posts then usual i think you might need a hug!

I never said anything about the poster specifically. Simply mentioned the fact that that this is the type of movie I would probably like when I was 12years old. Simple fact is it is impossible to say what most people prefer. I could say most people prefer Star Wars. Doesn't make it a correct statement.
 If you think this is a pissy post, you haven't read enough of my posts. I don't not post or just agree with everything everyone says, just because they may not like my opinion on a subject. I don't expect many of my posts to win friends either but I say it like I see it. I actually always have. It is an opinion not a personal attack on the guy/gal. Like any other opinion people are free to disagree. that is what this is all about is it not? wink.gif

Lush

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »

i collect both hd-dvd and bly-rau and i think that blu-ray is better... i have the top of the line toshiba hd-xa2 and the pioneer elite bdp-95fd and the blu-ray is much better...  i hate the way that most good hd-dvd titles force you to buy the "combo" format... if i wanted both, i would buy both... its practically the same price...
Pages: [1] 2