xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 360 Video Playback From External Usb Hdd - Please Help!  (Read 81 times)

drewZen

• Archived User
360 Video Playback From External Usb Hdd - Please Help!
« on: May 22, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »

I personally dont do any re-encoding of movies/videos. Good place to check for that is doom9.org. I do share same questions as you as far as using an external USB Hdd watch movies from. There are WMV-HD movies out there that are encoded with 5.1 sound that play perfectly thru vista media center and/or DVD5 blanks. I tried usind verbatim DL discs for movies larger then 4.5gb with no success. My 360 won't read the disc??
And from what i understand the 360 will only pick up FAT32 USB drives, 360 doesn't support external NTFS. So any video file over 4 gb (most wmvhd movies) you wont even be able to put on a FAT32 USB drive. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I would assume a firmware update can fix this...
Anyways goodluck!

drewZen

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(vuhuyle @ May 22 2007, 04:05 PM) View Post

Actually.. it's possible to get >4gb files on a external that's recognizable / readable through USB on your xbox360 using a combination of macdrive and formating your external as an HFS+ partition. I'm using it now and LOVING it. Look here.

As for the video encoding.. I currently use encode360 It takes FOREVER... but DOES support 5.1 audio and i don't notice any loss in video quality when compressing using wvc-1.

I definitely suggest you read around these forums if you have any other questions. Both of these answers were found in other threads.
 cool.gif

Ahh ok, i knew there had to be some workaround. I might just have to get an 750gb external now. The wmvhd's are worth it. Thanks for the link!

Relativity

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 03:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(leedash13 @ May 19 2007, 07:59 PM) View Post

Even though this is my first post, I have been a reader of this forum for quite some time.  Basically, I'm trying to find an easy way to watch ripped DVD movies from an external USB hard drive or streamed from a pc onto my 360.  My key concern is keeping the 5.1 audio and relatively good image quality, file size is of no concern.  

I've already tried converting movies to H.264 mp4 files, which works, but i loose the 5.1 audio.  I've tried WMV (WMV9 and VC-1) but have had many problems with just getting an encode started let alone a decent video file with 5.1 audio.

I read in the sticky that the 360 supports MPEG-2 and WMV video playback from an external USB device.  If this is true, what format/filetype of mpeg-2 exactly does the 360 support.  If possible, I would like to find an easy way to convert a dvd (already have .VOB ripped) to a readable mpeg-2 file format, and I'm assuming there would be no actual encoding necessary since DVD themselves are mpeg-2.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated, I have already looked over the doom9 and videohelp forums to no avail, thank you.

-Lee

You mean "back up movies " right ? pop.gif